CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I need one of you geniuses to help me figure out how to hang a good wallball target. To be 10', it has to be attached to the upper rafters of my garage, but that makes an awful racket and probably isn't great for the roof, and putting a 20' ball through my roof is gonna make my wife put her foot through my rear. The only thing I've thought of so far is use long enough screws that I can space the board off the rafters with 2 or 3" of spring/rubber to absorb the impact. My only other option is the wood siding on my house (not a good idea) or a tree. I've used a tree before, but there is alot of added work there, from making sure you hit dead on to dodging the inevitable bark pieces coming at your eyes.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
If you don't need much bounce back, how about attaching carpet padding to the front of the target and covering it with duct tape?

BTW, how hard do you throw the ball that you're worried about putting it through your roof?! :happy:

Go Irish!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
That's an idea...it will be angled just like the roof, so it'll be less of a horizontal target than ideal, but everything in life ain't ideal. Probably not really gonna put a hole in the roof, but it does definitely make quite a thud getting a 20lb ball up there.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Scott,
I have wondered if a basketball backboard would serve as a decent wallball target. If so then maybe one of those portable basketball goals minus the rim would do the trick for you.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Eric B. Willis

Profile:
Scott,

I hung a cheap trampoline perpendicular to the ground from a tree in my backyard. It works perfect with homemade (i.e. no bounce) medicine balls. It absorbs the impact and rebounds enough to get the ball back to me.

My dad wasn't too big on me throwing a 20lb ball against the house or patio cover.

Regards,
Eric Willis