CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Joseph Regan

Profile:
Re: Applying The Paleo Diet for Athletes

I like Paleo so dont think im slamming it. But a strict paleo diet doent provide enough quality carbs. There is nothing wrong with clean carbs i.e. sweet potatoes, rice, oats.......

When workout intensity increases, you really need more carbs. Its your bodies fuel. This is also true for recovery. I hear people all the time talking about how sore they are from a workout they did 4-5 days ago. This is because their nutrition sucks. Carbs will help you recover faster i promise. You should never be sore for more than a day or two at the most.

Crossfitters are all scared of carbs and i have no idea why.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Stephen Spritzer

Profile:

I'm starting to think that Joseph may be right. I've been doing the Lurong Paleo Challenge the last month or so, and even though I feel good, I've I that my energy level falls off a cliff in WODs. The first couple of weeks were great, but now I feel like I'm regressing.

I ate pretty much Paleo prior to the challenge, but would have the occasional slice of pizza or ice cream sundae. I think those 'cheats' kept my body fueled for my needs. During this challenge, I have yet to cheat, and even though I've literally been force feeding myself high quality food to get in 2,500-3,000 calories, my energy levels have still tanked. All my strength is still there, but the duration of time that I can use it is now limited.

I've been tracking my diet over the challenge, and I've only been getting between 50-100 grams of carbs most days. I'm going to eat more fruit and sweet potatoes going forward, thinking about 200g of carbs on workout days, to see if that helps.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? And if so, what helped?
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Spritzer View Post
I'm starting to think that Joseph may be right. I've been doing the Lurong Paleo Challenge the last month or so, and even though I feel good, I've I that my energy level falls off a cliff in WODs. The first couple of weeks were great, but now I feel like I'm regressing.

I ate pretty much Paleo prior to the challenge, but would have the occasional slice of pizza or ice cream sundae. I think those 'cheats' kept my body fueled for my needs. During this challenge, I have yet to cheat, and even though I've literally been force feeding myself high quality food to get in 2,500-3,000 calories, my energy levels have still tanked. All my strength is still there, but the duration of time that I can use it is now limited.

I've been tracking my diet over the challenge, and I've only been getting between 50-100 grams of carbs most days. I'm going to eat more fruit and sweet potatoes going forward, thinking about 200g of carbs on workout days, to see if that helps.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? And if so, what helped?
Low carb for athletes sucks. I had similar issues of low energy. I'd start adding bananas and if you can handle rice, have some rice. I have even added bagels for extra calories.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
I like Paleo so dont think im slamming it. But a strict paleo diet doent provide enough quality carbs. There is nothing wrong with clean carbs i.e. sweet potatoes, rice, oats.......

When workout intensity increases, you really need more carbs. Its your bodies fuel. This is also true for recovery. I hear people all the time talking about how sore they are from a workout they did 4-5 days ago. This is because their nutrition sucks. Carbs will help you recover faster i promise. You should never be sore for more than a day or two at the most.

Preach, my brother.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Spritzer View Post
This is good thinking. Even the Paleo Diet for Athletes calls for 150g of carbs coming from clean sources like white potatoes, yes white, post-wod of course.

I can say from experience I feel better at 150 carbs vs 50 carbs. I do the same as you suggested, lower carbs on non-wod days. Regardless I believe timing is extremely important.

Of course you can't go wrong following Paulo's advice as well, just pay attention to the timing of the foods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I'd start adding bananas and if you can handle rice, have some rice. I have even added bagels for extra calories.

Last edited by Shane Atkinson; 10-19-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post

I agree 100%. I still believe there is a difference of carbs though. I would rather get 150g of carbs from sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and fruit timed correctly throughout the day than to pound a quick 150g of carbs a day with Frosted Flakes, spaghetti noodles, and bread like I have done in the past when I claimed to be a "runner." I used the term as an excuse to carb load and eat whatever I wanted because I needed the "fuel" for my long run.

Applying good carbs timed right with an 85-15 Paleo diet is helping me tremendously so far.

Again, I do agree with you, just wanted to expand my thoughts here.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Chad Ashton

Profile:

I can tell a difference if I eat a small amount of rice (rice cake) PRE-workout. About an hour or so before. I've not eaten rice or other carbs post-workout though, other than in my PWO protein shake which is 2:1 carb/protein. Not sure what difference there would be for me switching up the timing.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ashton View Post
I've made this, it's pretty good:

Another I made recently:
Thanks for the recipes, passing off to the wife for making now.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Stephen Spritzer

Profile:

Yeah, I didn't realize how hard it was to get my carbs in because of this Paleo Challenge. All rice, grains, pasta, sugars and white potatoes are not allowed. I'm going to add in a 20g scoop of dextrose to my post wod protein shake(allowed, interestingly), and sweet potatoes before and after as well. That should add close to another 100g of good carbs to my daily total, and hopefully that will offset this AWFUL loss of energy during the wods.