CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Michael Haning

Profile:
Re: Level 3 (CCFT) Test

Thanks for all the feedback here. Was considering taking the test, but I just don't think it would be worth all the effort if nobody can even score above "below average".
Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Stieglitz View Post
Hey Steven -

Wondering if you took the test and if so, how it went

Best, Ann
I have not taken it yet, but did just submit my application and am now eligible to take it. Once they approve you then you have a year to take the test. Given how difficult it appears, I'm going to spend a month or two studying first and then give it a shot. While my usual morning routine is to drink coffee while I watch CrossFit videos or read CrossFit Journal articles, so my efforts to learn are always ongoing, it appears the depth of understanding necessary to pass requires more than just more casual watching and reading. So I will be perusing and taking notes and preparing as if it is an important final exam.

I'm going to assume that in order to pass it will be necessary to crush the regular written portions. I find the the video tests, at least in terms of taking the Online Judges' Course for the Open each year, to be much more difficult than seeing movement faults and good reps in person when you can pick your angle. You don't have that luxury on video.

----

In terms of a bank of questions for studying, I can see why CrossFit wouldn't want to do that. The problem is it then becomes easy to "study the test" instead of really learning the material in great depth. If you give me a bank of questions and enough time, I will crush just about any test you give me. By not allowing people to learn the test, as opposed to really learning the material in great depth, CrossFit is likely adding value and significance to those who pass. It appears to really mean something to pass this test given its apparent difficulty.

Hopefully I've progressed far enough with my coaching eye that I can pass when I do take it. The fear of not passing is daunting. Other than a few pesky sections of the Online Judges' Course that took me a couple of attempts to complete (after breezing through most of it), I don't remember the last time I did not pass a test. That would include all of high school, college, law school, and bar exams. I guess you could say I'm looking forward to the challenge but also have a really healthy fear of failure.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haning View Post
Thanks for all the feedback here. Was considering taking the test, but I just don't think it would be worth all the effort if nobody can even score above "below average".
I wouldn't look at it that way. It appears it will be a real accomplishment to pass. Many professional exams, such as the P.E. (Professional Engineering) exam, are known for having a very, very low complete passing rate--something like only 10% of applicants pass the whole thing the first time around. Most engineers pass a portion of the sections and have to re-take the ones they didn't pass again (often multiple times). You never know how you will do until you take it yourself.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Jason Roncesvalles

Profile:

I just sat for my CCFT Test this afternoon and passed. I was literally on the threshold of my CF Level 1 certification expiring, but even though I have had my Level 1 for 5 years with 5 years of coaching experience (4 of them at my own affiliate) I found myself putting off writing the exam until I had read through and watched every article and video in the reference list.

Best advice I can give is don't go through the study material with the intent of memorizing it and definitely don't gloss over the information because of "years of experience". Relate the articles and videos to members at your gym that you see and coach everyday and the application of the information is what will help you get through the exam.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:31 AM   #15
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roncesvalles View Post
I just sat for my CCFT Test this afternoon and passed. I was literally on the threshold of my CF Level 1 certification expiring, but even though I have had my Level 1 for 5 years with 5 years of coaching experience (4 of them at my own affiliate) I found myself putting off writing the exam until I had read through and watched every article and video in the reference list.

Best advice I can give is don't go through the study material with the intent of memorizing it and definitely don't gloss over the information because of "years of experience". Relate the articles and videos to members at your gym that you see and coach everyday and the application of the information is what will help you get through the exam.
Thanks for the info. And congratulations on passing.

As I work my way through the materials I can clearly see your point--it is not about memorizing information, it is about thoroughly knowing and understanding the material first--but more importantly being able to demonstrate you can actually apply that knowledge.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I've been studying for about a month at this point and will say this: regardless of whether I pass, the studying is absolutely making me a better coach. The Level 1 and Level 2 materials have been changed since I attended. There are lots of articles which are familiar and are review, but my depth of understanding is improving. There are other articles which are new to me and great info.

It seems to me the effort required to try to attain the CCFT is well worth it, credentials forthcoming or not.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Daniel Boyd

Profile:

Any more info on this? I will be going at the end of this month.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
Daniel Boyd

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I've been studying for about a month at this point and will say this: regardless of whether I pass, the studying is absolutely making me a better coach. The Level 1 and Level 2 materials have been changed since I attended. There are lots of articles which are familiar and are review, but my depth of understanding is improving. There are other articles which are new to me and great info.

It seems to me the effort required to try to attain the CCFT is well worth it, credentials forthcoming or not.
Did you take it yet?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #19
Lauren Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Thurmond View Post
I took the exam for the second time today. I studied. I studied both times, but I studied more on the second time. I felt confident on the first go round, but I came up short. I took it all in stride and decided that I needed to study and review more. I did review and study and I fell short again. I only made improvement in one area.

The thing that makes this test difficult is that there is no feedback on what one missed. I took the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians for Paramedic a few years ago. The Paramedic test is infinitely harder in many different ways, but what helps is that there are question banks that you can use to study. There are only so many ways to phrase a question about diabetes. The idea is that one gets exposed to as many questions as possible. It helps. One does not have that luxury with the CCFT. The thing is that NREMT uses Pearson Vue for its testing as well. Similar format and criteria for security. It would do nothing to compromise the CCFT if there was a large question bank that exposed one to the types of things one would encounter on the CCFT. There is a finite number of questions one can ask about the squat. I am sure of it.

I will study and review more. I will go back to a level 2 course soon and ask those guys all the questions that I can remember from the test. I wrote a few down this time and last time. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Good-luck everyone
Does this mean you failed the test both times?

do you think they do this to everyone so that they can rake in more $$ because of all the retakes??
Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #20
Lauren Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I have not taken it yet, but did just submit my application and am now eligible to take it. Once they approve you then you have a year to take the test. Given how difficult it appears, I'm going to spend a month or two studying first and then give it a shot. While my usual morning routine is to drink coffee while I watch CrossFit videos or read CrossFit Journal articles, so my efforts to learn are always ongoing, it appears the depth of understanding necessary to pass requires more than just more casual watching and reading. So I will be perusing and taking notes and preparing as if it is an important final exam.

I'm going to assume that in order to pass it will be necessary to crush the regular written portions. I find the the video tests, at least in terms of taking the Online Judges' Course for the Open each year, to be much more difficult than seeing movement faults and good reps in person when you can pick your angle. You don't have that luxury on video.

----

In terms of a bank of questions for studying, I can see why CrossFit wouldn't want to do that. The problem is it then becomes easy to "study the test" instead of really learning the material in great depth. If you give me a bank of questions and enough time, I will crush just about any test you give me. By not allowing people to learn the test, as opposed to really learning the material in great depth, CrossFit is likely adding value and significance to those who pass. It appears to really mean something to pass this test given its apparent difficulty.

Hopefully I've progressed far enough with my coaching eye that I can pass when I do take it. The fear of not passing is daunting. Other than a few pesky sections of the Online Judges' Course that took me a couple of attempts to complete (after breezing through most of it), I don't remember the last time I did not pass a test. That would include all of high school, college, law school, and bar exams. I guess you could say I'm looking forward to the challenge but also have a really healthy fear of failure.
Steven it's been a few months since your last post. I'm wondering if you have taken the test yet?