CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #131
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft." -Greg Glassman
Here is a recent video talking about periodization of an exerciser's whole year in preparation for the Games exercising competition, and mentions peaking:

http://pd.crossfit.com/games/video/C...ic_AF_Rudy.wmv

(safe for work, home, family, etc).

Justin
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #132
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Here is a recent video talking about periodization of an exerciser's whole year in preparation for the Games exercising competition, and mentions peaking:

http://pd.crossfit.com/games/video/C...ic_AF_Rudy.wmv

(safe for work, home, family, etc).

Justin
*Sigh*

I should have posted that quote in the sarcasm font... This is what happens when I break my own rules.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #133
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Given what I've posted on this topic and going back over it for what I've learned now this is how I would train someone for the "unknown and unknowable"

1. At least 3-4 longer aerobic runs a week. Focusing on building up aerobic base.
2. Teach person how to properly sprint
3. Focus barbell work on the Oly lifts
4. Lots of skill work on gymnastics movements

The rest of the barbell movements tend to fall under a mix of the gymnastics/Oly combo.

Running well cannot be taught well without lots of practice, and there's almost always running so you need a huge aerobic base. Aerobic base is great for recovery factors as well.
Steve,

Long time no talk. Anywho, I agree with you for the most part, however I have started using rowing and swimming (both below AT) to supplement running and build a solid aerobic base. In my experience, both rowers and swimmers transition into better CrossFitters more quickly than runners. My aerobic base building includes 2-3 swims (more can be done if an athlete has time since they are not hard on the body), 2 rows (one "steady-state" 6k and one slightly slower 12-15k), and 2 runs (one alternating Tempo or Long Fartlek each week and the other aerobic intervals of varying paces, ala Coe's multitier approach). Me and mine have never felt better and mil testing times are either just at or below the max scores.

In conjunction with this, I utilize a Westside-esque approach to strength training (i.e., focusing on 1 and 3RMs of the core lifts and their variants) and develop anaerobic pathways with "planned" WODs (read: with a specific purpose). Yes, we train 2 (occasionally 3) times per day. However, my programming is designed (in my mind) for mil/leo/fire personnel who are not currently deployed (IMO, those who are actively in mission-ready status should follow a more maintenance-focused program, but that is certainly straying from the OP). Lastly, I cannot fail to mention that we do a fair amount of skill work focusing on the same areas that Steven mentioned, sprinting, oly/accessory work, and gymnastics.

- Alex
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #134
Steven Low

Profile:

Rowing is definitely a good idea....

I think that if people were taught to run properly (e.g. why I included sprint mechanics) it would transfer over a lot better. There's a lot of crappy long distance runners who don't transfer over just because their mechanics and posterior chain strength are terrible.

Swimming is interesting if not just for the breathing control and whatnot. I'm not sure I would actually program that in unless we actually see some swimming workouts coming out of the hopper.

Westside is ok. I think it depends a lot on how strong the person is already though.

Looks pretty solid overall.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #135
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Great discussion on building aerobic capacity....I think all three (swimming, rowing, proper running) should be used...You get slightly different benefits from all three so as long as you have the facilities and equipment available I think you're better off using them all. I know I was never better at METCONs than I was when I was doing swimming work M, W, and F. IIRC my Helen dropped from 9:45 to about 8:20 and I SUCK at running, it was all from swimming. I think this was over a 2 month period...so 8 weeks or so.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #136
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Great discussion on building aerobic capacity....I think all three (swimming, rowing, proper running) should be used...You get slightly different benefits from all three so as long as you have the facilities and equipment available I think you're better off using them all. I know I was never better at METCONs than I was when I was doing swimming work M, W, and F. IIRC my Helen dropped from 9:45 to about 8:20 and I SUCK at running, it was all from swimming. I think this was over a 2 month period...so 8 weeks or so.
What sort of swimming were you doing? Strokes, distances, reps?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #137
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Steve,

Long time no talk. Anywho, I agree with you for the most part, however I have started using rowing and swimming (both below AT) to supplement running and build a solid aerobic base. In my experience, both rowers and swimmers transition into better CrossFitters more quickly than runners. My aerobic base building includes 2-3 swims (more can be done if an athlete has time since they are not hard on the body), 2 rows (one "steady-state" 6k and one slightly slower 12-15k), and 2 runs (one alternating Tempo or Long Fartlek each week and the other aerobic intervals of varying paces, ala Coe's multitier approach). Me and mine have never felt better and mil testing times are either just at or below the max scores.

In conjunction with this, I utilize a Westside-esque approach to strength training (i.e., focusing on 1 and 3RMs of the core lifts and their variants) and develop anaerobic pathways with "planned" WODs (read: with a specific purpose). Yes, we train 2 (occasionally 3) times per day. However, my programming is designed (in my mind) for mil/leo/fire personnel who are not currently deployed (IMO, those who are actively in mission-ready status should follow a more maintenance-focused program, but that is certainly straying from the OP). Lastly, I cannot fail to mention that we do a fair amount of skill work focusing on the same areas that Steven mentioned, sprinting, oly/accessory work, and gymnastics.

- Alex
Sounds interesting although a lot of work to fit in one week.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #138
Tim Morrison

Profile:

To me in a nutshell it's
🔹refine skills
🔹increase strength
Period.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #139
Tim Morrison

Profile:

So much OverTraining Implied here:
Elite Performance Early Development at its essence.:
✔️ Strength
✔️ Skills
Period. (assuming acceptable bodyweight)
Chuck the traditional box MetCon. Or any MetCon not dialed into competitor #'s. Does nothing to propel you to elite level. In fact it inhibits development.
First order of business:
Target the elite strength capacities and skills and train to them incrementally.
The MetCons Wods will automatically improve with just that.
Recently had a fairly advanced athlete with decent numbers increase his strength 40% over 12 weeks.
Without doing MetCon perse his key power MetCons all improved 25% : (from memory)
Fran 4:30 to 2:47
Elizabeth 3:37 to 2:51
Grace: to 2:35 to 1:50
Diane : to 3:30 2:55
Filthyfifty 21:03 to 17:47

We did do:
✔️ sprint Run intervals
✔️ endurance Pullup and dip intervals (Pullups from 7 to 35)
✔️ Some MetCon Interval @goal pace.

And that's just 1 cycle.

Last edited by Tim Morrison : 05-22-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #140
Tim Morrison

Profile:

"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft." -Greg Glassman

What is he talking about?!