CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
I was wondering what everybody does for post-workout nutrition?

Ash
Old 08-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
Ben Jackson

Profile:
For me, I'll immediately have a protein shake (1/2 scoop whey protein blend, 10 oz. skim milk, & 2 scoops weight gainer)yielding 40 g. protein, 50 g. carbs. Then in an hour or so I'll eat a full meal or if it's late I'll have another protein drink without the weight gainer.

Ben
Old 08-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
John Phipps

Profile:
I usually drink some gatorade with a teaspoon of glutamine before my workout. After, I do the protein shake with 1 scoop of whey powder, 16 oz of 2% milk, a teaspoon of creatine along with 400IU of vitamin E and maybe some asprin or tylenol if I know I will be sore. I will eat dinner within an hour or two after that. Typically dinner is heavy on protein and veggies, light on starches and carbs.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
3-4 cups skim milk+
2 scoops vanilla Ceramic-Filtered Whey Protein Isolate+
2 scoops chocolate Ceramic-Filtered Whey Protein Isolate+
ice cubes=
~700-800 calories of high-biologic value goodness that tastes like a McDonald's ice cream cone.

Then I go out and get a smoothie, and make sure to eat a banana or two if my muscles cramped up.

Ross
Old 08-10-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I guess I'm the odd one out, I eat whole food post workout. Today it was a big salad - chicken thighs, mixed greens, macadamia nut oil, and coconut shreds.

Ross,

You should patent that shake and sell it! Sounds damn good!

-Jay
Old 08-10-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Jay,

You're not the only odd one out there. Hardly any part of my diet has changed (macro ratios, timing, number of meals, etc.) since discovering CrossFit. One of the only big things that has changed has been the elimination of protein powder from my diet. So my post-workout meal looks a lot like yours, with a piece of fruit thrown in every now and then.

(The only other thing that has changed post-CF is a reduction in total calories per day, on average, but that's the topic of another discussion.)

Mike
Old 08-11-2004, 05:08 AM   #7
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Mike,

Good to know! I throw a piece of fruit here and there as well. Please do start a new thread to discuss your caloric reduction.

-Jay
Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
Donald Woodson

Profile:

When I get home from work, about 4pm, I'll have one scoop of whey protein in a glass of skim milk. Then I work out. After that I'll have my regular meal which happens to look just like Jay Edvardz'.
Finally found some of that Mac nut oil. Delicious! Expensive, but it sure woke my salads up.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 AM   #9
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Do you guys find that adding fiber to a high-GI post-workout meal makes the insulin spike 'nastier'? I do; for instance, if I just have a bottle of orange juice (i.e., pure sugar) with my post-workout meal, it makes me much less woozy than having, for instance, a high-fiber muffin, and the spike doesn't last as long. When I was trying hard to gain weight, I actually tried to capitalize on this by eating fiber with my post-workout meal in an effort to extend the insulin spike.

Any added fat seems to have a similarly nasty effect - yet another reason not to buy most protein powders.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Donald,

Isnt that oil amazing?

Ross,

When you say nasty, do you mean it lasts longer? Is it possible that the difference in how you felt was based on the type of carb (fruit juice versus muffin, thus fructose versus starch) rather than the fiber content? I can get away with eating a fair amount of fruit without ill effect; however, if I add in some starch I feel like total crap. Whenever I used spiked insulin post workout I would keep the fat and fiber to a min.