CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Sarah Mount

Profile:
Hi. I'm putting in a pull-up bar for a fitness facility at a high school with Crossfit classes offered to the community in the afternoon. I'm wondering about the optimal height for placing the bar. I'm somewhat limited by ceiling height and also wonder how much clearance is ideal from bar to ceiling. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Not at home to do any measuring.

Are you going to hang any rings from them? Since you are limited by ceiling height, I would guess no. If yes, the higher the better.

Is anyone going to do any bar muscle-ups? Again, assuming answer is no. If yes, need to have maybe three feet of clearance above the bar.

For "normal" pullups, you don't need a whole lot of clearance above the bar. A foot, maybe 18" just to be safe. I would hang it as high as possible, then have boxes available to help anyone not tall enough to reach them. My bar in the garage is mounted about a foot below an 8' ceiling. At 5'10", I can reach it easily (flat footed). I can't hang my feet without touching the floor, so have to hold my feet up some. If doing jumping pullups, cannot bend knees too much, so little knee bend and more calf jumps.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Bryan Edge

Profile:
More info for reference, if it helps:

I stand about 5' 11" tall.

The ceiling in my home gym is 9 feet. My pullup bar hangs down ~20" from the ceiling (2" for the 2x6 board to which the pull up bar is mounted, and 18" for the pipe).

20" gives me plenty of headroom for pull ups.

20" is also low enough that I can reach up and, stretching slightly on my tip-toes, grab the bar and do my pull ups without having to bend my legs (which I hate).

A simple Plyo box would probably alleviate any problems for shorter folks.

Anyone over ~6' would likely have to bend their legs, however.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Sarah Mount

Profile:
Thanks for your help!

Can anyone at Crossfit Santa Cruz give me the specs on your pull-up bar? From the looks of it, that's what we are looking for. What is the part that is pictured that allows for hanging the bar adjacent to the beam (rather than below)?

(Message edited by ridelkagrl on December 04, 2006)