CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Seems that the two are hard to do in unison. If fat loss requires a calorie deficit, and muscle building requires a surplus, is it a reasonable goal? I would like to think so, but am seeming to have lots of trouble with the first.

If my main goal is fat loss at this point.....even if it comes at the expense of performance in the gym......is a calorie restrictive Paleo diet the best bet?

If I have his all wrong, I'd love to hear some ideas of how to more successfuly lose this fat that doesn't seem to want to let go!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Seems that the two are hard to do in unison. If fat loss requires a calorie deficit, and muscle building requires a surplus, is it a reasonable goal? I would like to think so, but am seeming to have lots of trouble with the first.
Weight loss requires a calorie deficiency, which is not necessarily fat loss.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Unless you are an obese novice, losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time will be difficult to nearly impossible, especially as you seem to have limited nutritional knowledge. IMO

A paleo diet with a calorie deficiency would be a good way to start, just don't overdo the deficiency; especially if you are training. That being said there are 100 million threads on here about losing weight/bf, please read and search for them. I also recommend reading every article at bodyrecomposition.com wfs

Good luck
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Unless you are an obese novice, losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time will be difficult to nearly impossible, especially as you seem to have limited nutritional knowledge. IMO

A paleo diet with a calorie deficiency would be a good way to start, just don't overdo the deficiency; especially if you are training. That being said there are 100 million threads on here about losing weight/bf, please read and search for them. I also recommend reading every article at bodyrecomposition.com wfs

Good luck
Ouch, OK thanks! Definitely not an obese novice. I will read through that site though, thanks. It's only been recently that I have been interested in nutrition/wellness outside of "being thin" so I guess I am less informed than I think.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

If you are 5'4 and 125lbs, then I would suggest that a lack of muscle, not excess of body fat, is the reason you are probably unsatisfied with your appearance. By going into a calorie deficit, especially at the expense of performance, you will only be going backwards - it's a sure path to "skinny fat".

For us females, building muscle takes a lot of time (for anyone, but especially for a female). So perhaps the only thing you really need is patience, a bit more food, and to lift heavy things.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
If you are 5'4 and 125lbs, then I would suggest that a lack of muscle, not excess of body fat, is the reason you are probably unsatisfied with your appearance. By going into a calorie deficit, especially at the expense of performance, you will only be going backwards - it's a sure path to "skinny fat".

For us females, building muscle takes a lot of time (for anyone, but especially for a female). So perhaps the only thing you really need is patience, a bit more food, and to lift heavy things.
Thanks Alicia. I appreciate your feedback. I think patience is probably an issue, yes. I definitely do have a lot of fat.....I have been focusing on the muscle gaining element and wondered if I had it backwards.....seems so hard to know what to work toward. I know what I want, just not sure hot to get there. That being said I did take a picture today and compared to when I started eating Paleo 7 weeks ago and am pleased with the small changes I see.
Both are WFS-
Late October:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1153.jpg

Today (better, butstill lots of squish!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1217.jpg
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

A couple things stick out to me:
- How long have you been doing whatever you are doing now - or, how long have you been working at changing your body composition? Your "before" picture is October, which is not very long ago at all.

- Rather than worry about losing fat or building muscle, have you explored body recomposition? It's a slow process, but one that can give great results.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post

What Alicia said. I think you might want to just throw away the scale, honestly. It is not helping you. Train hard, eat healthy, and lift heavy stuff, and you'll look fantastic.

Katherine
Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
T
Today (better, butstill lots of squish!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1217.jpg
Where's the squish? I honestly don't see why you aren't happy with this picture. I *definitely* don't think the person in this picture needs to be obsessing about body fat.

Katherine
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Where's the squish? I honestly don't see why you aren't happy with this picture. I *definitely* don't think the person in this picture needs to be obsessing about body fat.

Katherine
100% agree with Kat.