CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini
Affiliate Tricia Magrini is offline
 
Tricia Magrini's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lititz  PA
Posts: 462
Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Seems that the two are hard to do in unison. If fat loss requires a calorie deficit, and muscle building requires a surplus, is it a reasonable goal? I would like to think so, but am seeming to have lots of trouble with the first.

If my main goal is fat loss at this point.....even if it comes at the expense of performance in the gym......is a calorie restrictive Paleo diet the best bet?

If I have his all wrong, I'd love to hear some ideas of how to more successfuly lose this fat that doesn't seem to want to let go!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Richard Allen Pagel
Member Richard Allen Pagel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Seems that the two are hard to do in unison. If fat loss requires a calorie deficit, and muscle building requires a surplus, is it a reasonable goal? I would like to think so, but am seeming to have lots of trouble with the first.
Weight loss requires a calorie deficiency, which is not necessarily fat loss.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Unless you are an obese novice, losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time will be difficult to nearly impossible, especially as you seem to have limited nutritional knowledge. IMO

A paleo diet with a calorie deficiency would be a good way to start, just don't overdo the deficiency; especially if you are training. That being said there are 100 million threads on here about losing weight/bf, please read and search for them. I also recommend reading every article at bodyrecomposition.com wfs

Good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Tricia Magrini
Affiliate Tricia Magrini is offline
 
Tricia Magrini's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lititz  PA
Posts: 462
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Unless you are an obese novice, losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time will be difficult to nearly impossible, especially as you seem to have limited nutritional knowledge. IMO

A paleo diet with a calorie deficiency would be a good way to start, just don't overdo the deficiency; especially if you are training. That being said there are 100 million threads on here about losing weight/bf, please read and search for them. I also recommend reading every article at bodyrecomposition.com wfs

Good luck
Ouch, OK thanks! Definitely not an obese novice. I will read through that site though, thanks. It's only been recently that I have been interested in nutrition/wellness outside of "being thin" so I guess I am less informed than I think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Alicia Sloan
Member Alicia Sloan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Langley  British Columbia
Posts: 173
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

If you are 5'4 and 125lbs, then I would suggest that a lack of muscle, not excess of body fat, is the reason you are probably unsatisfied with your appearance. By going into a calorie deficit, especially at the expense of performance, you will only be going backwards - it's a sure path to "skinny fat".

For us females, building muscle takes a lot of time (for anyone, but especially for a female). So perhaps the only thing you really need is patience, a bit more food, and to lift heavy things.
__________________
My CF Log/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Tricia Magrini
Affiliate Tricia Magrini is offline
 
Tricia Magrini's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lititz  PA
Posts: 462
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
If you are 5'4 and 125lbs, then I would suggest that a lack of muscle, not excess of body fat, is the reason you are probably unsatisfied with your appearance. By going into a calorie deficit, especially at the expense of performance, you will only be going backwards - it's a sure path to "skinny fat".

For us females, building muscle takes a lot of time (for anyone, but especially for a female). So perhaps the only thing you really need is patience, a bit more food, and to lift heavy things.
Thanks Alicia. I appreciate your feedback. I think patience is probably an issue, yes. I definitely do have a lot of fat.....I have been focusing on the muscle gaining element and wondered if I had it backwards.....seems so hard to know what to work toward. I know what I want, just not sure hot to get there. That being said I did take a picture today and compared to when I started eating Paleo 7 weeks ago and am pleased with the small changes I see.
Both are WFS-
Late October:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1153.jpg

Today (better, butstill lots of squish!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1217.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Alicia Sloan
Member Alicia Sloan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Langley  British Columbia
Posts: 173
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

A couple things stick out to me:
- How long have you been doing whatever you are doing now - or, how long have you been working at changing your body composition? Your "before" picture is October, which is not very long ago at all.

- Rather than worry about losing fat or building muscle, have you explored body recomposition? It's a slow process, but one that can give great results.
__________________
My CF Log/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
If you are 5'4 and 125lbs, then I would suggest that a lack of muscle, not excess of body fat, is the reason you are probably unsatisfied with your appearance. By going into a calorie deficit, especially at the expense of performance, you will only be going backwards - it's a sure path to "skinny fat".

For us females, building muscle takes a lot of time (for anyone, but especially for a female). So perhaps the only thing you really need is patience, a bit more food, and to lift heavy things.
What Alicia said. I think you might want to just throw away the scale, honestly. It is not helping you. Train hard, eat healthy, and lift heavy stuff, and you'll look fantastic.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
T
Today (better, butstill lots of squish!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN1217.jpg
Where's the squish? I honestly don't see why you aren't happy with this picture. I *definitely* don't think the person in this picture needs to be obsessing about body fat.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Stu Christensen
Member Stu Christensen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon  SK Canada
Posts: 864
Re: Lose fat, gain muscle...how to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Where's the squish? I honestly don't see why you aren't happy with this picture. I *definitely* don't think the person in this picture needs to be obsessing about body fat.

Katherine
100% agree with Kat.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone argued that you could build muscle and lose fat at the same time... Brandon Fleeman Fitness 37 01-07-2010 04:41 PM
Why would I lose muscle AND body fat? Jennifer Seastrum Nutrition 12 08-20-2009 06:43 AM
Burn Fat and Gain Muscle? Charles Stapleton Starting 22 09-07-2008 11:44 PM
Lose fat/ build muscle? Spencer Fossier Nutrition 2 02-20-2008 08:36 PM
Should I cut fat or gain muscle? Jonas Cronfeld Digital Coaching 12 11-22-2007 08:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.