CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Padyn Knapp

Profile:
Trying to Gain Weight, Not Lose it

I guess i'll go ahead and introduce myself and my goals.

My name is Padyn, obviously, and I'm 17 years old, turning 18 in a week.
I'm 5'10'', 130 lbs. so you can imagine i'm pretty skinny. I wear a 28 waist in pants. I used to be a little chubby before highschool then i grew out of it. I've had workout spurts here and there but after a few months i always end up losing focus. My strongest attempt was this past spring, where i bought a sememster long gym pass. From the middle of January to about the middle of April i worked out every day after school, with a pretty good split, ate protein, and a lot of other food, but didn't seem to gain anything. I got up to 135 lbs. I was lifting 145 max on bench, 160 on squat.

My main question is whether or not crossfit is just for the people trying to lose weight and get fit, or is it for those trying to get stronger and gain weight at the same time.

This next fall i'll be headed off to college, and i dont want to start off as the weak funny guy. I'd like to weigh at least 150, benching 175 by the fall term.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Trying to Gain Weight, Not Lose it

As I have so many times before, I recommend you buy, follow, cherish, and sleep with under your pillow: Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength." It is not CrossFit per se, but you need more strength and mass, and that will get you there faster than anything else in my opinion.

Once you have done that for a while and have seen significant amounts of strength and poundage, you will probably want to check out CrossFit's programming for more all-encompassing fitness goals.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eat til you can't eat anymore. Lots of meat, eggs, fruits, and vegetables. GOMAD might be a good idea for you. Douse everything you eat with olive oil and snack on almonds, walnuts, and other nuts all day long.

You can gain weight on CF, but given your current situation and your goals I agree that SS is the better bet for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Milk, heavy squats, more milk. Eggs. As close to a dozen a day as you can stomach. More heavy squats. Add heavy deadlifts, bench if you must. The SWOD at Crossfit Football or CFFB in general would be great for the next 8 weeks.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Padyn Knapp

Profile:

Holy ****. A gallon a day. Just read up on it, looks like it would actually work.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Padyn Knapp

Profile:

where would i find the SWOD or CFFB
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

http://crossfitfootball.com/ WFS

The strength WOD for each day is on the right side of the page. You don't really need to worry about the daily WOD since you're not worried about metcon capacity.

The SS Wiki (WFS) is another good source of information. If you do SS and eat big, you will gain size and strength.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 12-09-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
John Blount

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padyn Knapp View Post
Holy ****. A gallon a day. Just read up on it, looks like it would actually work.
I'm doing GOMAD right now and I am up 18 lbs so far and I still have the month to finish out, started last month. Also I am...WAS, making some great strength gains until my back got into an deathmatch with a wooden armchair. The armchair won.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Welcome Padyn. I was in the same boat as you. Skinny, weak and unhappy. Honestly, the only thing that will make you gain weight is a calorie surplus. Skinny guys typically have very fast metabolisms and burn off calories very quickly. What happens when your body doesn't have enough fuel to run it? It breaks down muscle tissue to use as energy. If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight. I suggest starting on 3000 calories per day and see if you gain anything after a week or two. If not then increase your calories by 500. Keep doing this until you start gaining. When I hit 4000 calories per day I started gaining at a rapid weight. 2lbs per week on average and in less than 3 months I gained 25lbs and my strength almost doubled. Give it a shot.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
Nick A Wilson

Profile:

Hi Padyn. I recently posted about an issue trying to get calories up that you might find helpful here: WFS - http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53643