CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
In case anyone is interested, here is a video link to “The Battle of Thermopylae”. It’s a pretty cool looking video game type style re-creation of the event.
http://www.history.com/media.do?id=e...nd&action=clip
(work/family safe)

Also the actual documentary “Last Stand of the 300” will be aired again on Friday March 30th at 8am and 2pm. Check your particular region for actual local times. I was lucky enough to catch it last night while channel surfing. I missed the first hour but saw that it was being re-aired later that night so I was able to record the full 2 hrs. It's a real good documentary IMHO.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I got to see that documentary on Sat (day before I saw 300 the movie) It was very informative and was a nice preface to watching the graphic novel version.

I would like to see 300 the sequel featuring the navy battle. That would be cool
Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
I also caught part of the documentary last night on the History Channel. Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the re-airing. I'll have to set my DVR.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Really good program and background after watching the movie also.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Michael Brewer

Profile:
The computer graphics in that documentry were from the video game "Rome: Total War". I highly recommend it for anyone interested in a pretty historically accurate and realistic simulation of ancient battle.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I've seen the doc before and it is very good, the whole thing with the history leading up to it and all. Haven't seen the movie yet and probably won't as the movie probably has little or no real connection with what actually happened, Hollywood BS and all. What I loved about the doc was the historian's description of how the 8 man Phalanx was used to annialate the Persians, at least in the start of things. This arrangement must have been akin to something like the Abhrams Tank of today on the battelfield slaughtering willy-nilly. How I would have liked to have been there, from the historical perspective of course.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks for the insight Michael. That would explain the computerized gaming style appearance of the video link. There is also another PSP game version out now called “300: March to Glory” for $29.99. I here it is a great game and has received some good press so far.

Frank, I agree with you. It would have been quite the battle to witness.