CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Martin McSweeney

Profile:
Space (and cost) effective home CF gym and other questions

Dear Crossfitters,

Had some questions about a space (and cost) effective home gym. In my case, space is more of a concern but I do want to keep the costs low.

So, here's the questions:

Is the CF package available via CF Socal the best way to go for outfitting a home (garage) gym while trying to economize on space?

Or would it be better to get the Pendlay bars and pieces as needed? If so, what pieces would you obtain and in what order? Ex.: olympic bumpers, rings, KB, etc.

How valuable would a squat rack be? That is, are they usually of sufficient height to allow for muscle ups using rings?

Last questions:

What is the optimum height or minimum height for a pullup bar in order to use rings? My guess is about 10 feet off the ground. Also, would a bar that high allow for rings to be used for ring pushups? (I already have a TRX system that can be used for that)

If my questions have been answered, please just post a link and accept my apologies for the redundancy. Also, as I won't be logging on again until Monday, please have patience for my follow up to your replies.

Thanks,

Martin McSweeney
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Eddie Blanco

Profile:
Re: Space (and cost) effective home CF gym and other questions

theres alot of info on this throughout the forum...do a search and you will find all the info u need.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin McSweeney View Post
How valuable would a squat rack be? That is, are they usually of sufficient height to allow for muscle ups using rings?
None, squat stands are better just look at the olympics - especially if your tight on space
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Martin,

I can do ring MUs inside my power rack as I modified it by bolting bars across the top. I'm 5' tall so I can make it work; you may not be able to do, but perhaps it will give you some ideas: (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Nhl4dRtRg

The power rack has been one of the most versatile and useful pieces of pieces of equipment I own; I wouldn't be without it for my apartment gym. It has literally saved my life several times and has a relatively small 3.5'x4' footprint. I also added another pullup bar to the back side of the rack for doing weighted pullups without having to climb up on a stool. I'm currently creating a removable split bar for learning butterfly kips that will hang on the front side of the rack.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Cool video and nice setup.

At 6'1" I need a ceiling that is a touch over 10' high to do muscle ups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI75pYZl-vA
Notice that at a complete deadhang my feet touch the ground. At the top of the movement my head brushes the ceiling.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Matthew Govea

Profile:

I got frustrated after looking all over the internet countless time. The best things I did were to identify what pieces I wanted and then to contact a bunch of the people that sell CrossFit equipment. I found every one to be very helpful, even to the point of recommending I go with someone else's product for what I wanted. I got my half rack squat rack through Crossfit SoCal after talking to Ahmik. I went with that because I needed something to kip on and it worked out perfectly for me since its over 7 feet tall.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Martin McSweeney

Profile:

Kelly,

Thanks. That was a brilliant use of space. I think I may go the same route.

Regarding the other replies: thanks, I will take a look at previous posts. It's not so much the money I'm concerned about, it's more the space. And the exercise space will be about 4-5' by 9' or something close (the space my Toyota takes in the garage). It's the space for the storage of the equipment that is the limiting factor.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Martin McSweeney
Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Derek Franks

Profile:

You can get space effective and you can get cheap. Pick one.

For space effectiveness, you cannot beat Iron Mind's Vulcan II's and Pillars of power. They're not cheap, but they're extremely well made and quickly and easily can come apart to a ridiculously small form factor. They're also light and easy to move around. They can also support more weight than you'll ever be able to lift.

Mount a pull-up bar to your ceiling (lots of threads here about it). It's sturdier and easier to get the right height compared to using a power cage for pull-ups, IMO... especially when you kip.

If you go with a power cage, the Toyota is moving outside. With the Ironmind gear, you can put it away against the wall and pull the car inside when you need to.

Last edited by Derek Franks : 06-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Mike Gwinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Cool video and nice setup.

At 6'1" I need a ceiling that is a touch over 10' high to do muscle ups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI75pYZl-vA
Notice that at a complete deadhang my feet touch the ground. At the top of the movement my head brushes the ceiling.
How do you have your rings anchored to the ceiling?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Eye bolt that goes all the way through the joist.