CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Gain Or Lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
Been following this board for along time. Today at my gym, I go to a globo, I did the underwater body fat test. I weighted in a 152.7 with a bodyfat of 12.9%. I am stuck in deciding if I should try and gain weight, or try to stay at 152 and try and lose some bf while gain muscle. I am 5'8 and use to be overweight, around 240 in high school. Ideas or suggestions please
What you should do depends entirely on your goals. What are they?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Craig Bravman

Profile:

I want to get stronger which is my main goal. I feel at 150 i am too skinny, so but since i have a small frame, i look bigger than I am. I would love to get to 165-175 range.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #13
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

It is possible to gain muscle mass and strength without putting on a lot of fat, but you must be (very) patient if you take this path.
To gain “clean” mass, a good rule of thumb is to take how many calories you eat to maintain your actual weigth, and to add something between 300-500 kcal, no more, and reassess you gains every month or so.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
thanks guys.
my lifts aren't great
back squat 185 x5
press 120x5
bench 135x5.... always a weak point
deadlift 250x5
pullups 9 at bw
If you think your lifts aren't great, the good news is your potential to improve them is HUGE !!!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Any ideas on diet style... Zone with extra fat to gain, eat like a bodybuilder?
Depends on your goals, if you just wanna get strong and dont care about adding fat, then take a look at GOMAD diet and just shove food in your mouth day after day.

But if you want slow progress, without too much extra fat, be smart and be patient. If you want to be "scientific" about it, get a body fat caliper and pay attention to how your body composition changes and adjust dieting. This is a long larning process but it will only do you good on the long run - learning to know your body is one of the best investment for the future.

And also dont get discouraged once your newbie gains stop, they will at one point, this is completely normal as adding 5lbs to the bar weekly will no longer be possible. Be aware of this and adjust programming once you get there.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
I want to get stronger which is my main goal. I feel at 150 i am too skinny, so but since i have a small frame, i look bigger than I am. I would love to get to 165-175 range.
Craig, if you want to get stronger you will likely have to gain some size. Don't massively overeat considering your former weight status. Train with a strength bias and consume a mild caloric surplus.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
Craig Bravman

Profile:

This is why I love this community. you all are so great and helpful. I am going to give westside barbell with crossfit a try. I have heard great stuff, plus I can focus on some of my weaknesses
Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
This is why I love this community. you all are so great and helpful. I am going to give westside barbell with crossfit a try. I have heard great stuff, plus I can focus on some of my weaknesses
Sounds like a good plan. How will you setup your training?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
Craig Bravman

Profile:
Smile Re: Gain Or Lose?

Still working on that part. Lol. With work and all I need to set up a schedule to make sure I get enough rest. Since I don't belong to a crossfit gym anymore, just moved to new location in Oxnard,Ca and lll be looking for a new place to call home.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #20
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Still working on that part. Lol. With work and all I need to set up a schedule to make sure I get enough rest. Since I don't belong to a crossfit gym anymore, just moved to new location in Oxnard,Ca and lll be looking for a new place to call home.
What do you know about Westside? If you need help on that front I can be of assistance.