CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Travis Rask

Profile:
Starting Strength Works

Just finished week 9 of SS.

For a long time strength was my major liability. When I broke my 5th metatarsal in February I decided SS was a great opportunity to focus on my weakness, and help my injury heal.

Height: 5'10"
BW: 175--->205

5 Rep Sets as of today (cleans are 3's):

Squat: 135--->280 (Prior 5RM was 225)
Bench: 115--->200 (Prior 1RM was 195)
Press: 65--->110
Clean: 95---> 170
DL: 135---> 295 (Prior 1RM was 300, had a back injury 12/10)

I think I have a few more weeks to go before my first reset. I've already pared down my DL's an Cleans to once every 5 workouts, and have cut to 1/2 GOMAD.

Might titrate back up to full GOMAD to help recovery a bit more...I would like to make it to 315 on my back Squat before my first reset.

I've decided to devote this entire year to strength development, maybe even beyond. Texas Method after LP on SS expended, finish out the last 6 weeks of the year with Super Squats and GOMAD, before moving on to 5/3/1 or CFFB next year.

I'm really loving it, and think I have a lot more LP to go. I highly recommend a strength focus for those who want to work on it - it really does make a difference in the gym and @ work (for those who have physical jobs).

Last edited by Travis Rask; 04-22-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Works

Round of applause.

Nice work.

I hope that people read this and see your numbers and realize that, in the grand scheme of things, 9 weeks is a very short amount of time.

I especially hope that some of the people who got spanked by the CrossFit Open WODs read this.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Travis Rask

Profile:

Thanks - Can't wait to see where I'm at @ 9 months. The way I look at it...the longer I focus on strength the easier WODs will be to transition back into if/when I return to CF style programming.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
Thanks - Can't wait to see where I'm at @ 9 months. The way I look at it...the longer I focus on strength the easier WODs will be to transition back into if/when I return to CF style programming.
that's my theory too, i was doing most WOD's RX but they were very difficult and slow going. some people said just keep doing them and you'll get better which i did to a point, but i looked around and saw guys who've been doing cf for years still scaling and struggling and i figured i just have to get stronger.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Inspiring, thanks for sharing!

I just started this morning and am looking forward to the progress that I'll make in the next 9wks.

One item of the program that I haven't found much information on is how/when to increase weights on the lifts. Is it whatever you feel like you can do while completing all of the reps? Do you increase the weight each session or each week?

With my limited strength starting out, I suspect a 5lb increase in weights each week would be the most appropriate for me, especially since I'm still very new to the techniques.

Bench 110lb 5RM
Squat 75lb 5RM (could probably do 80+)
DL 70lb 5RM
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Inspiring, thanks for sharing!

I just started this morning and am looking forward to the progress that I'll make in the next 9wks.

One item of the program that I haven't found much information on is how/when to increase weights on the lifts. Is it whatever you feel like you can do while completing all of the reps? Do you increase the weight each session or each week?

With my limited strength starting out, I suspect a 5lb increase in weights each week would be the most appropriate for me, especially since I'm still very new to the techniques.

Bench 110lb 5RM
Squat 75lb 5RM (could probably do 80+)
DL 70lb 5RM
Vickie, you want to increase weights every session. You want to start with weights that have you hitting your old 5RM for a 3x5 set in 4-6 weeks. With those numbers, you can probably do 5 lbs per session on squat and deadlift to start, and I would microload bench and press to 2.5 lb increases to begin with.

Reading the book is an absolute necessity.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Tamara,

Thanks a lot, I was hoping you would chime in.

I have the book and have made it through most of the technique sections and part of the programming section. I might have missed information, and I apologize if it's there.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Travis Rask

Profile:

Make sure you EAT

And drink MILK

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Nice Job Travis. Keep it up.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #10