CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Jason Villaruz

Profile:
if protein powder is protein powder is protein powder...

then why such huge price discrepancies? After reading the last recent thread about protein powders this got me thinking, especially since I'll be needing to restock my supply soon. I've been getting it in bulk from true protein. But I notice a lot of others have been using products like ON Whey, Nitrean, and also Stronger Faster Healthier's stuff from crossfit endurance, so I've been checking those out and comparing prices and finding they are way way more expensive than true protein.
Per pound, ON 100% whey costs $8-$12/lb (8 IF you get 10 lbs), Nitrean $12/lb, and SFH post workout formula $30/lb (it has small amounts of about 10 other ingredients, but $30 per pound?!?).
True Protein charges between $5.69/lb for whey concentrate to $8.89 for isolate. I see the Nitrean has a few minerals added to it but you could also add vitamins and minerals to your true protein order for .65/lb. I usually order 16lbs of protein and 16lbs of carbs at a time to get the additional 5% off, not to mention the coupon codes you can find in the forums for an additional 5-10% off.
I'm not trying to hate on these other companies - I've been taking Results from the makers of Nitrean for a couple months and love it. I'm just wondering what makes these other protein powders better because if I'm missing out on something by taking the cheaper route I'd like to know!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: if protein powder is protein powder is protein powder...

Cheaper powders may have all kinds of contaminants in them--do some searches for recent stories about random metals and traces of poison in a few different brands.

Plus quality costs more--a Rolex costs more than a Timex. SFH's selling point is the same rationale for grassfed organic beef. They use grassfed organic dairy for their whey. It costs more to produce it that way.

Then there's the marketing issue, which explains the higher price for Muscle Milk or anything else you see advertised in the NFL or UFC.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Yep, quality definitely is a factor even when considering 'big' companies. Where do they source their ingredients etc.? In addition, the specifics of what is in the protein product also play a big role in terms of what fraction of whey and what other types of protein are included.

Something to consider about my product Nitrean, as it was mentioned above, is that its unique blend of whey, casein, and egg proteins provides for a better net retention than any whey only product. That means you can use less and get the same or better results which certainly makes it more affordable than it may appear at first glance.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Jason Villaruz

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. Chris, if I am looking for a protein powder with carbs, would Maximus be something good to use post-workout? Nowhere in the product description do I see a mention of a recommendation to be used post workout. I have a high training volume - 4 days of sealfit, 2-3 days of supplemental runs, and 2 swim sessions per week - so I feel like I should be getting in some easy carbs with the protein (and can't handle solid foods after a workout). I typically take 50g protein and 80-90g carbs PWO and have to eat more than I feel I need to just to maintain my weight.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Jason Villaruz

Profile:

I didn't know that SFH is grassfed organic. But it kind of sounds strange to me - with all the processing that goes with creating protein powder does it even matter anymore whether or not it is grassfed organic?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Making protein with better quality dairy for the whey is going to produce a better quality powder. Whether it's worth the higher price tag is up to you.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Villaruz View Post
I didn't know that SFH is grassfed organic. But it kind of sounds strange to me - with all the processing that goes with creating protein powder does it even matter anymore whether or not it is grassfed organic?
It does to do that only want protein from grass-fed beef. I haven't tried the stuff, but the price isn't bad on it. I know several people that love it.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Scott Narreau

Profile:

How about a shake with raw milk and raw eggs from a local farm?

Shakes are convenient but it's hard to keep track of what you're getting your hands on.

With a 3 on 1 off following just the main site:

I have been taking creatine before WOD.

PWO is - 40g of protein w 9g of fat and 25g carbs.

I'm thinking about making my own shake with milk or coconut milk, eggs or whey and maybe some cocoa powder.

That will be hard to make while I am still at the gym coaching for another hour or so.

Shakes are so handy for getting something inside you quickly.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Cheaper powders may have all kinds of contaminants in them--do some searches for recent stories about random metals and traces of poison in a few different brands.

Plus quality costs more--a Rolex costs more than a Timex. SFH's selling point is the same rationale for grassfed organic beef. They use grassfed organic dairy for their whey. It costs more to produce it that way.
Well I would consider Nitrean a quality product (it's what i use) and it's not expensive. Higher price doesn't always mean better quality.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Well I would consider Nitrean a quality product (it's what i use) and it's not expensive. Higher price doesn't always mean better quality.
I've used Nitrean too--it's good stuff at a pretty good price. A little higher than a 10lb bag of ON or True Protein, but not bad.

You're right about the correlation between price and quality in the case of heavily advertised stuff like Progenex or Muscle Milk, but in general higher quality ingredients will translate to higher price.