CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #51
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:
Re: The Difference Between Seeds & Grains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I was referring to the general attitude, of grain = smoking analogy. To clarify, I don't eat grain all the time. Heck some days I don't eat it at all. I think we are told by the .gov that we are supposed to eat more of it than we need. However, eaten as you would any other food group, I think some grains are okay. I would really like to see compelling evidence that moderate whole grain intake in a gluten tolerant population equates to their gradual death and fatness and everything else it is accused of in this forum. Fringe studies in groups such as diabetics and people referred for gluten intolerance by their Dr. / Dietitian don't cut the mustard for me. I think you may hard pressed to find an individual who is active, eats well, and doesn't treat their body like a trash can that has wacky markers because they have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. My numbers are great and I eat some grain. My triglycerides were a whopping 50 with eating bread, jelly, oatmeal and all the other things I ate before I heard of the paleo diet. Now I eat much less of these things now, but still eat oats, dairy and peanut butter.
great post
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #52
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I get you. Like any other hormone, insulin out of whack is bad news. Worse than other hormones being out of whack? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I think stress/bad sleep messing my cortisol about is probably a bigger hindrance to me these days... heh
As I understand it, because sleeping issues can cause cortisol issues a by product of this can be crappy insulin sensitivity. Not good. I am trying to point out with all this posting I am doing that our CF community self diagnosing journal M.D.'s might need to stay in their lane / scope of practice. Many of us have a good knowledge base and are (in my opinion) better informed about diet and performance than the general population. However, many of us are not doctors, or dietitians therefore we need to be careful from what we pull from research studies. When I go on pub med I can't just seek the results and studies that are likely to give me the answers I am looking for. I need to see studies for and against certain things and then weigh in my own mind if I feel something is worth changing based on the preponderance or evidence placed before me. Especially concerning diet we need to watch what we read because the grounds for studies vary so widely. Some studies are total s***. Some apply to population samples that don't apply to us. i am not trying to ruffle feathers here, but feel that grain = caner/death/whatever is a statement that is emotionally based and not evidence based therefore has little place in engaged discussion. Give me some studies that grain has killed healthy individuals then we'll talk.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #53
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
It makes me chuckle that when I eat the odd gigantic bacon cheeseburger, it's the bun that has me worried, when everyone else is looking at the 12+ oz of ground beef, cheese and bacon and picturing a heart attack. lol
Lol, gets me too sometimes.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #54
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
I was referring to the general attitude, of grain = smoking analogy. To clarify, I don't eat grain all the time. Heck some days I don't eat it at all. I think we are told by the .gov that we are supposed to eat more of it than we need. However, eaten as you would any other food group, I think some grains are okay. I would really like to see compelling evidence that moderate whole grain intake in a gluten tolerant population you're assuming everyone is gluten tolerant

I think you may hard pressed to find an individual who is active, eats well, and doesn't treat their body like a trash can that has wacky markers because they have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. My husband is this type of person yet when he eats gluten, even without knowing it, his stomach will be in knots for a full day or more.

My numbers are great and I eat some grain. My triglycerides were a whopping 50 with eating bread, jelly, oatmeal and all the other things I ate before I heard of the paleo diet. Now I eat much less of these things now, but still eat oats, dairy and peanut butter.
You must be one of the lucky ones. My numbers were pretty good too prior to eating paleo and they improved even more after switching. I've always been pretty healthy and I didn't really notice much in the way I felt. But when I started adding the junk processed carbs back in, most of which contained wheat, it began a downward spiral of energy highs and lows and feeling like crap, the more I ate them. I still eat the occasional grain/flour treat and as long as I treat is as an occasional treat, I'm fine ~ just like the occasional stiff drink.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #55
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

No one is denying that gluten intolerance exists. The question is (1) how common is it, and in particular how often do people have it without knowing, and (2) is there any evidence indicating that gluten-tolerant people should not eat grains.

Katherine
Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #56
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
No one is denying that gluten intolerance exists. The question is (1) how common is it, and in particular how often do people have it without knowing, and (2) is there any evidence indicating that gluten-tolerant people should not eat grains.

Katherine
There's really no way of answering those questions without testing a large group of people over a long period of time, and even then it's still just a sampling and most likely will be opposing studies. We can all do our study of n=1 and figure out for ourselves what works best for us.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #57
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
I was merely referring to the statement that those eating grain were akin to drinkers and smokers.......
Quote:
I was referring to the general attitude, of grain = smoking analogy. ....... I would really like to see compelling evidence that moderate whole grain intake in a gluten tolerant population equates to their gradual death and fatness and everything else it is accused of in this forum.
Quote:
Give me some studies that grain has killed healthy individuals then we'll talk.
That’s a pretty high bar to bring you into the discussion! Have you honestly heard many claims that eating grain will actually KILL you? Do you really find that is a “general attitude?” For my part, I mentioned smoking only as a good example of something that can be causing long-term negative effects on health while not necessarily causing any short-term problems. I was definitely NOT claiming or implying in any way that death (by cancer or any other cause) is the long-term result of eating grains.

Quote:
No one is denying that gluten intolerance exists. The question is (1) how common is it, and in particular how often do people have it without knowing, and (2) is there any evidence indicating that gluten-tolerant people should not eat grains?
That first question is the hard one. There are certainly other dietary and environmental inputs that fit that model of “hidden” long-term downsides, but how many more are there that we will never know about? For all any of us know, we could all be eating foods that cause us low-level inflammatory problems, exacerbate allergies, or even somehow act to shorten our life span by 5 years, but that don’t actually take us out of the gene pool. While many of us here might enthusiastically make that claim about Twinkies, soda pop or Doritos, it could also be 7-grain bread, beef, kale, or eating too much broccoli. How would we know? In the case of something like gluten intolerance (for those enlightened souls who agree that it does exist), I think it’s simply not realistic to think that anyone can design and conduct a study to provide an accurate estimate of how common it is. Like many other conditions, my guess is that the best we can hope for is that there turns out to be a genetic marker.

I’ve never seen any credible evidence that people who are not gluten-intolerant have any reason not to eat grains.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #58
BMH

Profile:  

I think we have concluded all there is to conclude. At this point we are down to spliting hairs and not really making headway with this discussion. Katherine and I clearly feel one way and you guys feel another. Neither group has evidence that is going to overwhelmingly sway the other.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #59
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Absolutely agree. There's also a tendency for people to make many changes to their diet all at once, but to conclude that only one change made all the difference. If you go from living on pepperoni pizza and Coke to eating meat and vegetables, yes, you will almost certainly feel better. No argument there. But that doesn't mean that a bowl of rice with your stir-fry is going to have any ill effects.

Katherine
That leads into the question of whether or not some grains are worse than others. Both for certain people and overall. Is rice generally healthier than wheat? I don't know- anyone out there have knowledge on this?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #60
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
That leads into the question of whether or not some grains are worse than others. Both for certain people and overall. Is rice generally healthier than wheat? I don't know- anyone out there have knowledge on this?
Certainly someone with a gluten intolerance might be better of with grains like rice that don't have gluten. But there are healthy traditional cultures all over the world, all eating the native grains associated with their particular region.

Katherine