CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #41
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Re: The Difference Between Seeds & Grains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
Eating a cup of oats in the morning, and some rice with lunch, is not comparable at all to smoking and drinking.
I think the point here is that it is fair to say that, while some foods (or other inputs like smoking and drinking) may have no apparent detrimental effects right now, there may be credible indications that there are long-term concerns. Smoking is probably the best example. I smoked for years and never felt the least bit pre-cancerous!

Clearly we all have our own standards for deciding what is "credible" and should be heeded, and reasonable people can disagree on whether or not the "evidence" for avoiding or eliminating certain foods is worth paying any attention to. But IMO it is often faulty reasoning to decide to eat something based solely on how one feels without at least looking at any arguments against its long-term use. By all means ignore those arguments if they aren't convincing to you, but at least look at them, and accept the fact this stuff is not black and white and that other people just as intelligent as you are will find those same arguments worth heeding even if you donít.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Reasoning such as this makes outsiders of our community scoff at us.
My guess is that, when it comes to why outsiders scoff at Crossfitters, this is pretty low on the list.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #42
adam adkins

Profile:

Perhaps the most ironic thing of this thread for me is that one poster is saying comparing eating grains to drinking is unfair because one is clearly bad and one is clearly ok. And I completely agree with that. The irony is that to me eating grains is the "clearly bad" and I justify the drinking as "clearly ok."

I guess anyone can justify anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
My guess is that, when it comes to why outsiders scoff at Crossfitters, this is pretty low on the list.
Can we play this family fued style? We surveyed 100 T-Nation readers and asked "What is the reason you think Xfitters are Dbags?" Survey Says!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
James Chu

Profile:

Eat to meet your goals and listen to your body. I really don't see what is so difficult.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #44
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Perhaps the most ironic thing of this thread for me is that one poster is saying comparing eating grains to drinking is unfair because one is clearly bad and one is clearly ok. And I completely agree with that. The irony is that to me eating grains is the "clearly bad" and I justify the drinking as "clearly ok."
I am pretty sure you are attempting to be funny, but you realize almost anything containing alcohol, that is worth a damn, is grain based, right?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
I think the point here is that it is fair to say that, while some foods (or other inputs like smoking and drinking) may have no apparent detrimental effects right now, there may be credible indications that there are long-term concerns. Smoking is probably the best example. I smoked for years and never felt the least bit pre-cancerous!
Wait. Now there is evidence that eating grains causes cancer?

Quote:
Clearly we all have our own standards for deciding what is "credible" and should be heeded, and reasonable people can disagree on whether or not the "evidence" for avoiding or eliminating certain foods is worth paying any attention to. But IMO it is often faulty reasoning to decide to eat something based solely on how one feels without at least looking at any arguments against its long-term use. By all means ignore those arguments if they aren't convincing to you, but at least look at them, and accept the fact this stuff is not black and white and that other people just as intelligent as you are will find those same arguments worth heeding even if you donít.
I have read the arguments. I agree with a lot of them. I even jumped on the Paleo band wagon for a good while. At least 6 months. Maybe even closer to a year.

Then I began reading more of the other side's arguments. And realized it might be a bit extreme thinking you have to eliminate all of a certain food group based on limited evidence from a very small fringe group.

So I started adding some grains back here and there. And feel a lot better.

I would never advise a diet based mostly on grains. I still eat at least 80% what is considered Paleo.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #46
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
I am pretty sure you are attempting to be funny?
I guess that means it wasn't funny.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #47
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Who says you need to be low carb because you don't eat grains? There are plenty of carbs to be eaten in fruit and tubers and whatnot.
I was merely referring to the statement that those eating grain were akin to drinkers and smokers and the inference that just like them someone who is jonesin' for grain is going to feel better when they add it back in the diet. Not to mention insulin is treated like it's the devil here on the forums.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #48
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I was merely referring to the statement that those eating grain were akin to drinkers and smokers and the inference that just like them someone who is jonesin' for grain is going to feel better when they add it back in the diet. Not to mention insulin is treated like it's the devil here on the forums.
I get you. Like any other hormone, insulin out of whack is bad news. Worse than other hormones being out of whack? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I think stress/bad sleep messing my cortisol about is probably a bigger hindrance to me these days... heh
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #49
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
I was referring to the general attitude, of grain = smoking analogy. To clarify, I don't eat grain all the time. Heck some days I don't eat it at all. I think we are told by the .gov that we are supposed to eat more of it than we need. However, eaten as you would any other food group, I think some grains are okay. I would really like to see compelling evidence that moderate whole grain intake in a gluten tolerant population equates to their gradual death and fatness and everything else it is accused of in this forum. Fringe studies in groups such as diabetics and people referred for gluten intolerance by their Dr. / Dietitian don't cut the mustard for me. I think you may hard pressed to find an individual who is active, eats well, and doesn't treat their body like a trash can that has wacky markers because they have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. My numbers are great and I eat some grain. My triglycerides were a whopping 50 with eating bread, jelly, oatmeal and all the other things I ate before I heard of the paleo diet. Now I eat much less of these things now, but still eat oats, dairy and peanut butter.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #50
Chris Walls

Profile:

It makes me chuckle that when I eat the odd gigantic bacon cheeseburger, it's the bun that has me worried, when everyone else is looking at the 12+ oz of ground beef, cheese and bacon and picturing a heart attack. lol