CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:
Re: You Can't Out Work a Bad Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
And when someone tells them what to do, they, more often than not, include the phrase, "You can't out work/train/exercise a bad diet."
I thought you were referring to the "No (expletive deleted) one size doesn't fit all." comment being repeated.

From this comment:

Quote:
And now someone will tell me, "No (expletive deleted) one size doesn't fit all." Yet it's repeated time and time again.
Bottom line. The majority of people can't/won't out work a bad diet.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
Bottom line. The majority of people can't/won't out work a bad diet.
The key word is "won't."

For most people, the number of calories burned through exercise is insignificant, and the metabolic adaptations produced by exercise are barely noticeable. These people simply are not going to burn off pounds of fat or add pounds of muscle.

However, the people who post here are not most people. There are plenty of people who post here who have found that a "bad" diet -- or at least one that is not strictly in line with this week's diet orthodoxy -- is not only tolerable, but essential for them to meet their goals. Any athlete who can put World's Best *anything* after their name probably fits in that category as well.

Katherine
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I am not discrediting any strength athlete, *BUT* when I see someone who is full on beast mode, there are often other things in the training regime you won't see them put on the internet or anywhere else. Just sayin'....
Mariusz *is* a beast. But he has been caught using banned PEDs in the past.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

I was the one who wrote that to her.

I think most of us agree that an optimal diet will produce optimal performance. Less than optimal diet will probably produce less than optimal performance, but performance can still be achieved.

The problem in that thread, was that she was 5'2, overweight, and unwilling to eat less than her maintenance calories to lose fat and get a 'BEACH BODY'. <- she said her BMR was 1900 and she didn't like to eat less than that (well, I think she confused BMR with maintenance). She was not willing to stop eating junk foods (or at a minimum, foods she could not cook herself or track), and asked outright if "extra" effort at CF will still produce the results she wants (ie. the beach body).

The answer to that is no. At 5'2, there's not much room for error when trying to lose fat in a short amount of time, let alone go from overweight to 'beach body' (whatever that means to her).

Sure, she could eat like crap and work out like a beast, and it will produce some results (although not what she intends), but she cannot outexercise her bad diet and achieve this particular goal that she wants: a beach body in a short time

As for strongmen and other athletes, perhaps they can, I don't know. I'm a small female and will admit that my history lies more with bodybuilding than sports athletics - so I've been around the bikini fat loss dance a few times with various girls. And diet is absolutely not negotiable in that department. Especially petite women who have a lot less calories to work with in the first place.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #15
Eddie Watts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
Mariusz *is* a beast. But he has been caught using banned PEDs in the past.
i believe he was caught using cocaine, hardly a PED!

individual variation is obviously always to be considered, but also is the idea that "if this diet got you fat/out of shape/whatever then chances are it needs to change"

quoting any individual doing what only they can do as proof that it can be done proves nothing.
this is like saying that because Benedikt deadlifted 1015 pounds every male should be able to achieve this, clearly not the case
Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
Rick Hardin

Profile:

Quote:
It's my understanding that World's Strongest Man competitors are tested for performance enhancing substances. I could be mistaken though.

So are pro bodybuilders.

Most testing is random and a complete joke.

And don't forget some of the things Arnold and others used to say in interviews about their training and diet. It's marketing, nothing more.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #17
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

And to those who say I'm wrong, well, I will be the first to admit that absolutes are usually incorrect. And yes, most people here are not "average". But in my own opinion, that particular poster absolutely WAS the "average" (not putting in 100 or even 75% effort into diet, exercise, etc yet still wanting beach body results, TONS of excuses) and therefore no, I do not believe that she could "out work" her bad diet for her particular goal. So my comment, while I agree it is true for most people, was particularly for her.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
This was brought up in a current thread and I thought that this was interesting, because it is false. More often than not, for the majority of us, myself included, this is true, but then there are guys like Mariusz Pudzianowski; former strongman competitor.

Here's a quote from him about his diet: source -http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...26903256/pg_3/ WFS

Quote:
"My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and two to three pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy. In the morning, it will be several 3 Musketeers and/or Snickers bars; I need them for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 PM, is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes. An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate. Dinner is whatever meat I can grab--steaks, pork chops, bacon--plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. At 9 or 10 PM, I work out again. Afterward, I have a protein shake and more chocolate. At 3 or 4 AM, I wake up and have more chocolate, then go back to sleep until morning."
Granted, the majority of his diet is pretty good; could probably use more vegetable selection, but whatever; but I don't recall any "good" diet involving waking up in the middle of the night to eat chocolate. I am willing to bet that his genetics play a significant role, as well as his former training regimen, but it doesn't stop that fact that, on multiple occasions, he has won the World's Strongest Man competition with that diet. And his body composition is better than most.

The moral of this story: One size does not fit all. Argue all you want, but the man clearly out worked eating "lots of candy." And I'm sure he's not the only one.

And now someone will tell me, "No (expletive deleted) one size doesn't fit all." Yet it's repeated time and time again.
It would be more correct to say that you cannot out-train an inappropriate diet.

Mariusz Pudzianowski has enormous energy requirements so a diet based solely on unrefined whole foods would be inappropriate for him because the high fibre content would make it too bulky making it impossible for him to maintain an adequate calorie intake without experiencing some considerable gastrointestinal discomfort.

This is the case for many elite athletes; they have to eat refined carbs, junk food, candy, chocolate etc in order to meet their daily energy requirements.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
It would be more correct to say that you cannot out-train an inappropriate diet.
Agreed. Gymnasts don't train like powerlifters, who don't train like CrossFitters, who don't train like golfers, and so on.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #20
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
i believe he was caught using cocaine, hardly a PED!

individual variation is obviously always to be considered, but also is the idea that "if this diet got you fat/out of shape/whatever then chances are it needs to change"

quoting any individual doing what only they can do as proof that it can be done proves nothing.
this is like saying that because Benedikt deadlifted 1015 pounds every male should be able to achieve this, clearly not the case
No doubt. I saw a video of Bennie resting between his sets drinking out of a 2 L of Coke.