CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
You Can't Out Work a Bad Diet

This was brought up in a current thread and I thought that this was interesting, because it is false. More often than not, for the majority of us, myself included, this is true, but then there are guys like Mariusz Pudzianowski; former strongman competitor.

Here's a quote from him about his diet: source -http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...26903256/pg_3/ WFS
Quote:
"My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and two to three pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy. In the morning, it will be several 3 Musketeers and/or Snickers bars; I need them for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 PM, is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes. An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate. Dinner is whatever meat I can grab--steaks, pork chops, bacon--plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. At 9 or 10 PM, I work out again. Afterward, I have a protein shake and more chocolate. At 3 or 4 AM, I wake up and have more chocolate, then go back to sleep until morning."
Granted, the majority of his diet is pretty good; could probably use more vegetable selection, but whatever; but I don't recall any "good" diet involving waking up in the middle of the night to eat chocolate. I am willing to bet that his genetics play a significant role, as well as his former training regimen, but it doesn't stop that fact that, on multiple occasions, he has won the World's Strongest Man competition with that diet. And his body composition is better than most.

The moral of this story: One size does not fit all. Argue all you want, but the man clearly out worked eating "lots of candy." And I'm sure he's not the only one.

And now someone will tell me, "No (expletive deleted) one size doesn't fit all." Yet it's repeated time and time again.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: You Can't Out Work a Bad Diet

I am not discrediting any strength athlete, *BUT* when I see someone who is full on beast mode, there are often other things in the training regime you won't see them put on the internet or anywhere else. Just sayin'....
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

However, he's not complaining about being unable to reach his performance or body composition goals. If he was, then it would be pretty reasonable to suggest that maybe he should reconsider some of the stuff he's eating.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
This was brought up in a current thread and I thought that this was interesting, because it is false. More often than not, for the majority of us, myself included, this is true, but then there are guys like Mariusz Pudzianowski; former strongman competitor.

Here's a quote from him about his diet: source -http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...26903256/pg_3/ WFS

Granted, the majority of his diet is pretty good; could probably use more vegetable selection, but whatever; but I don't recall any "good" diet involving waking up in the middle of the night to eat chocolate. I am willing to bet that his genetics play a significant role, as well as his former training regimen, but it doesn't stop that fact that, on multiple occasions, he has won the World's Strongest Man competition with that diet. And his body composition is better than most.

The moral of this story: One size does not fit all. Argue all you want, but the man clearly out worked eating "lots of candy." And I'm sure he's not the only one.

And now someone will tell me, "No (expletive deleted) one size doesn't fit all." Yet it's repeated time and time again.
You pretty much are answering your own questions in the OP. I don't quite understand the point of this post.

There are tons of examples of athletes that thrive off of junk food. Ochocinco and his McDonalds. Michael Phelps and his daily pizzas.

Have the average gym goer/crossfitter on those same diets, and they will become fatties.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I am not discrediting any strength athlete, *BUT* when I see someone who is full on beast mode, there are often other things in the training regime you won't see them put on the internet or anywhere else. Just sayin'....
It's my understanding that World's Strongest Man competitors are tested for performance enhancing substances. I could be mistaken though.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
You pretty much are answering your own questions in the OP. I don't quite understand the point of this post.
You seemed to have missed this part: "Yet it's repeated time and time again."
Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
I seldom hear that. I usually hear the "what are your goals" when someone asks about what their diet should be.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
I seldom hear that. I usually hear the "what are your goals" when someone asks about what their diet should be.
And when someone tells them what to do, they, more often than not, include the phrase, "You can't out work/train/exercise a bad diet."

A quick Google search netted me this: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=you+can't+out+work+a+bad+diet#sclient=psy&hl=e n&source=hp&q=you+can't+out+train+a+bad+diet&aq=f& aqi=g-l1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=65bd16 83206574b5&biw=1920&bih=955 WFS
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the thread in which an early-20s woman was complaining about being unable to get lean while continuing to eat processed crap several times a day. In her case it's absolutely appropriate to go with the "one size fits all" approach of telling her to eat quality food if she wants to drop bodyfat.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the thread in which an early-20s woman was complaining about being unable to get lean while continuing to eat processed crap several times a day. In her case it's absolutely appropriate to go with the "one size fits all" approach of telling her to eat quality food if she wants to drop bodyfat.
Correct. And I have no doubt that she would benefit from the "one size fits all", as would many others.

I can't out train a bad diet. It's a proven fact. But the other fact is that it can, has, and will be done.