CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
LBBS grip/bar placement.

So earlier this week I was given the revelation by some posters that one was to use a thumbless grip. Evidently my LBBS bar placement was lower than my high bar placement but not nearly low enough. Anyway, going thumbless REALLY helped to get the bar low which made doing the same weight at the same reps MUCH easier.

However, there are a few minor issues. My four top fingers can't wrap around the bar properly. My theory is that w/the bar lower, I have to have a wider grip, which makes my hands less perpendicular to the bar and more diagonal. (sounds confusing but you'll see what I mean in the video). And towards the end of the set, the bar starts to slide down a bit, almost to the point where I might have to hold it in the crook of my elbows if it slips.

It's not a big deal now but I"m sure when the weight gets heavier it'll be tough to deal with. If it's a flexibility issue, should I just not worry about it and assume that by the time I get to a weight where it matters, I'll have attained the flexibilty required?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WpzuRbC1kg wfs
Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: LBBS grip/bar placement.

Stop squatting in a tank top. Wear a thick, 100% cotton shirt. And, squat using a bar that has center knurling. Warm up and then do two sets of five at bar weight making your grip as narrow as you can on the first set and then bringing it in another inch on your second set. Every time you squat, work on bringing that grip in just a tiny bit, and just cue yourself with "elbows up."
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

It's ok if your fingers aren't on the bar as long as your hands are. You aren't holding it with your hands anyway, you're just wedging it against your back and supporting it with your torso.

Bring the grip in as narrow as possible and get everything under the bar maximum tight before you unrack the bar.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

wow that is really low on the back. maybe i'm doing it wrong? but i'm going onto a 260 work set pain free so i don't want to mess with it too much. i bring the bar under my traps instead of on top of my traps, a few inches lower than high bar. your setup is almost at the arm pit.

maybe i'll video my next work set and post it in here.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

It looked pretty low to me too. I get the bar below my traps just above the ridge of my scapula. It looks like the OP's bar is below his scapula.

Yahya--does the bar feel locked into place on a shelf on your back or are you needing your arms to lock it into place? I use my arms to support it, but it still gets into a groove/shelf on my back. I wonder if your bar was an inch or two higher, would you be able to bring your hands in or get more fingers wrapped around the bar.

Any SS experts think his placement is too low?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Your squats here:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67183

look a lot better. Do that more.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

OK so I just squatted again today.
I put the bar just a bit higher and per Tamara's suggestion, brought my hands a bit closer w/each set. By the time I got to my first working set, it felt fine.

Robert, it definitely felt locked into place w/o the use of my hands this time. Before that wasn't the case.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Looks like the rack setting might be a notch or 2 high for you. You're stretching a bit to get the bar out at the beginning and almost shrugging to return the bar (I understand after slipping has occurred).

Lowering the rack might help you establish a more sound position (along with some of the other comments).
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Peterson View Post
Looks like the rack setting might be a notch or 2 high for you. You're stretching a bit to get the bar out at the beginning and almost shrugging to return the bar (I understand after slipping has occurred).

Lowering the rack might help you establish a more sound position (along with some of the other comments).
You're right. before, when I'd mistakenly put the bar a bit higher, that specific setting on the rack was just barely low enough. Didn't realize that since the bar's lower on my back, I need have the rack setting lower.