CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Richard Pennington

Profile:
Pre and Post workout meals

I am still trying to figure out what i need to eat pre and post. I do all my workouts at 5"30 in the morning and usually only for an hour due to time restraints. What do i need to eat before an dafter to best benefit myself, i am still in the losing weight phase of things.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Pre and Post workout meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pennington View Post
I am still trying to figure out what i need to eat pre and post. I do all my workouts at 5"30 in the morning and usually only for an hour due to time restraints. What do i need to eat before an dafter to best benefit myself, i am still in the losing weight phase of things.
Based on the meal planning template from whole9 workshop with tweaks/recommendations specifically tailored toward my situation (significant fat loss), I go with:

-a hard boiled egg pre workout, goal is protein with a little bit of fat

- 1-3oz of chicken or maybe egg white only post workout, goal is very lean protein only, tailoring amount to the duration of the workout. If the workout is high intensity for an excessively long period (i.e. distance run, or 40+ minute hero wod) I would add 2tbsp of sweet potato for post workout.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:

It seems like pre workout nutrition really varies among people. I also start my workouts at 5:30-6am, and I never eat anything before. I do drink coffee, though. Other people I know who workout at the same time start with a small amount of meat or egg or fruit or something. Just experiment and figure out what works best for you.

Post workout is a little more consistent. Again, I would experiment a bit but make sure to get some protein, fat, carbs, carbs being more important if it was longer metcon. Some people like a small post-WOD recovery meal, like Rebecca described...personally I just have a large breakfast after my morning session that lasts me until the afternoon or evening. Do experiment on yourself, though. One size does not fit all when it comes to nutrition and recovery.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

I understand the science behind it but I don't care to follow pre/post workout nutrition.

To me....Its not worth stressing over macronutrient timing. I eat when I eat, what I eat.

A protein, a carb (fruit/veggie), and a fat at every meal.

I don't think my ancestors went for a run and then thought, "mmm, now I need to limit my fat intake and have a fast source or carbs with in 45-90 minutes of this run."

Too me it seems a little compulsive and obsessive to time any meal with physical activity.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

If I don't eat before I workout, I am dead about 30 minutes in.

I usually drink a cup of oats and 2 scoops of whey before heading to the gym (this is assuming an early AM workout). I might throw in a banana too. And a large coffee
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
I understand the science behind it but I don't care to follow pre/post workout nutrition.

To me....Its not worth stressing over macronutrient timing. I eat when I eat, what I eat.

I don't think my ancestors went for a run and then thought, "mmm, now I need to limit my fat intake and have a fast source or carbs with in 45-90 minutes of this run."

Too me it seems a little compulsive and obsessive to time any meal with physical activity.
I like this. A lot. I used to stress a lot over PWO - even thinking I was "wrong" for preferring to ride out the post-workout lack of appetite during a leaning phase. I've come to think that unless you're an elite athlete and trying to fuel activity that's beyond normal, instinctive, natural capacity, the obsession with PWO Nu CAN get counter-productive. I just stick with what I want at the time within "Paleo" specs - sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's fat, sometimes protein. And I haven't seen a diminished rate of return with that attitude at all. I just threw out all my whey protein. Waste of money.

If I'm particularly zapped or abnormally fatigued, I will grab some coconut water and a pinch of sea salt or maybe a swig of pickle juice. Maybe some sweet potato. But it's pretty obvious when I'm at that point.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
David Wallach

Profile:

What weight (pardon the pun) does your performance hold in your life goals? If you are a professional athlete or an amateur looking for a shot at immortaility you approach your nutrition in a totally different way than if you are a typical crossfitter whose main goal is GPP and to look great naked.

If you are the former, then we can talk at length about a plan specific to your needs, I've been doing it professionally for two decades. If you're the latter? Eat food, train hard for fun and not to suck at life and get on with doing other things. Dont turn your 'nutrition' into an eating disorder. If your performance increase is really not a life or death issue, fill your life with living, not with stressing over PWO nutrition.

"I long to fill my soul with flesh, to fill my flesh with soul, I will at last reconcile within me the two eternal atagonists. But not tonight.' :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

Good advice from all above.

Here's what I do.

I workout at 5:00 in the morning before work also. I think this affords a nutritional opportunity. I need breakfast to start the day so I take that opportunity to get some easily digestible whey protein in my body first thing when I wake up. Just 2 scoops in water. This doesn't cause me any problems during the workout.

After the workout I have a protein shake with berries and peanut butter.

That's my breakfast for the day then. Just also happens to be pre and post workout nutrition. When I used to workout after work in the early evening, I didn't eat anything pre or post workout, just dinner an hour or so after workouts.

I've noticed my recovery is getting better (but maybe my body is adapting?). I'm also losing weight (again, may be unrelated).

I just find that whey is a high quality, affordable protein source that works well with my morning workouts and gets me out the door in time for work.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post

Paleo doesn't trump biology. But I do agree, that it is a bit of a bother to line these things up, but I believe it is worth it . The little things can make a big difference. There are alot of links to studies about this on Leangains.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sont View Post
Paleo doesn't trump biology. But I do agree, that it is a bit of a bother to line these things up, but I believe it is worth it . The little things can make a big difference. There are alot of links to studies about this on Leangains.
I never claimed to be eat paleo. On occation I still eat normal things like pizza and burgers. I also eat dairy and on occation will make a vegan or vegitirian meal. I will admit that for the most part I eat pretty clean and it may look Paleo but I don't let it rule my life, much like I don't let time and macronutrients rule my life.

I was trying to convey that its not worth the bother to think about food this way. You risk going through life with an eatting disorder.

Last edited by Barrett Reznick; 05-11-2011 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot things