CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Ben Liniger

Profile:
2013 New Pendlay HD vs Bearing Barbell

I haven't seen much on the new 2013 Pendlay bars. I'm looking to pick up a new bar for my garage primarily for Power Clean and Power Snatch.

I'm sure the HD is adequate, but I'd rather buy nice than have to buy twice. Anyone have experience with the new Pendlay's?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:
Re: 2013 New Pendlay HD vs Bearing Barbell

I've got one sitting in the garage but have yet to use it.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Mike Hollister

Profile:

If you are doing power variants then you really don't need a bearing bar IMO. HD is an awesome bar; go with it.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Floyd Nelson

Profile:

I would buy a DHS training bar and be done with it.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

FWIW. I bought a Pendlay bearing bar. Had used the HD bar a lot and liked it. Having never used the DHS or Eleiko bar and knowing that I already liked the Pendlay I felt pretty comfortable about buying it.

Had it for about a month and really like it a lot. Not sure how it compares to the DHS, Zhangking, Werksan or Eleiko bars and somehow I doubt I will ever find out.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Floyd Nelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
FWIW. I bought a Pendlay bearing bar. Had used the HD bar a lot and liked it. Having never used the DHS or Eleiko bar and knowing that I already liked the Pendlay I felt pretty comfortable about buying it.

Had it for about a month and really like it a lot. Not sure how it compares to the DHS, Zhangking, Werksan or Eleiko bars and somehow I doubt I will ever find out.
I have trained on them all. The bar I like most is the black eleiko training bar. Its sort of a good all around bar. I have 3 other eleiko bars. 2 comp bars and a training bar. Then I have a uesaka bar. I have never had a problem with any of them. The pendley bars that I have used where at cal strength and a few other bay area weightlifting gyms. Never really liked them they spin like crap. The werksan center knurling will give you hickeys every time. DHS and ZKC are both about the same. Nice whippy bars. DHS training bar is around 550 shipped. I been a eleiko guy for the last 15 years. So if I buy something it will be most likely eleiko. Just my thoughts on bars.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
If you are doing power variants then you really don't need a bearing bar IMO. HD is an awesome bar; go with it.
I agree with Mike.. Really, both are great. I used a new Pendlay bearing bar and the spin was absolutely phenomenal. I haven't used the HD bushing, but a bud has a new one and he loves his.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I get what you are saying Floyd. I had looked at all those bars (on line) before I decided to pull the trigger on a new bar.

I priced the Eleiko and it was $1200. I live in Canada so that is always a deciding factor. I thought long and hard about the DHS bar, as it got great reviews as well. If I ever decide to get another bearing bar it will likely be either the DHS, Werksan or Eleiko.

Biggest factor for me was that I had already used and liked the Pendlay bar, they are made in the USA (so no extra duty to bring it across the border) and they were on sale (I paid $466 for mine). I really do like it but can't compare to any other bars. Mostly I have lifted with a Rogue bar, the newer Pendlay HD bars and some York bars (not sure which ones). I lifted once on an Eleiko but the thing was way old (1979 vintage) so it isn't a great comparis

What bar is best is for sure a personal preference thing. But for most people also comes down to money. For a cheaper bushing bar, I really like the Pendlay HD, I am sure the DHS training bar is also good.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Ben Liniger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
Thanks Mike! I may go that way. Like many, I'm always looking for getting the most bang for my buck and the Pendlay HD + bumper set is $585 shipped. Works out to be only about $279 shipping for the HD bar!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Although there certainly isn't any "consensus" on the subject, I think most people who have used a decent bushing bar vs. the super-expensive Eleikos and Werksans and stuff will tell you that a bar like the Pendlay HD is more than adequate - for everything except possibly National and/or Olympic-level lifting and for guys who need to stoke their egos by telling everyone that they have the best stuff.