CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Todd Condell

Profile:
Pendlay Needle Bearing Bar vs Eleiko Training bar

Hey Everyone,
I am planning on buying one of these bars in the next day or so. The Eleiko Training Bar (not the Competition bar which is 29mm) which has the Specifications
Art. No 112-0200
Weight 20 kg
Length 2200 mm
Grip 28 mm
Sleeves 50 mm
on sale for $667 (regularly $900+)

and the Pendlay Needle Bearing bar
Shaft diameter of 28mm.
-Made from high nickel content, super strong steel. Allowing maximum flexibility without bending.
-Only company in the US to produce barbells from this material.
-Five top quality, high speed bearings in each collar.
Priced at $449.95

I will be using either one for Olympic Lifts and have been having a debate with the data as to which to buy. FYI as to my fixation-I have a couple of degrees in BS, Masters and Ph.d Mechanical Engineering from Temple and Lehigh Universities and I am design and engineering fanatic. I have read (and watched) everything Britt Freund has posted and appreciate everything he says and the time he has put in to give us his input.

Because of his posts I am buying the B&R bar for static lifts and a second bar for O-lifts. I want two bars that I will have forever. Recently one of the retailers has mentioned to me that that have had some problems with the Pendlay bearing Bars and that no bearing bar under $600 is any good from their experience. I have equipment from these guys and they make excellent top quality stuff so I am really debating this decision. I want feedback here. I know Eleiko is the gold standard and the company selling the training bar offers a lifetime guarantee and they are the one bar that I know people have had for 30+ years. In one week (last week) I had one bar bend and another break a collar. So I want a bar to last.

If you have the Pendlay bearing bar or have use it or the Eleiko Training bar give me your opinions. Britt I read your post and you have the Competition Bar which is 29 mm in diameter the training bar is identical except it is 28 mm and it is not certified. Certification adds the extra $150+ in cost. Sorry this is so long but this is a big purchase and I like to know your experiences and recommendations. If not I guess I will go with Eleiko.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Jesse Gray

Profile:
Re: Pendlay Needle Bearing Bar vs Eleiko Training bar

First off, I would like to point out that the Eleiko competition and training bars are both 28mm. The main difference between the two is that the training bar is about 1 pound lighter than the competition model, but with the same tensile strength, chrome plating and knurling and bearing lined sleeves.

In any case, both bars are very nice. The main difference you will notice between them is in the feel of the knurling and the bar's "whip". It's been my experience that the knurl makes the biggest impression overall. The whipiness of the bar is usually not a huge factor until you start lifting (relatively) larger amounts of weight. Whip wise, I don't feel much of a difference until I put around 100kg on the bar. The knurl on the other hand is something you notice on every single lift. I've only lifted with Eleiko bars a few times but I can say the feel was great. I have lifted with Pendlay bars many times and I can also say they have a great but different feel too. I don't think you can miss with either bar. For a comparable bar, check out the York competition bar as well. I prefer the knurl on it slightly over the Pendlay, it's a bit less aggressive. On the other end of the scale is the Ivanko training and comp bars. They have a great whip but also have a VERY aggressive knurl. I have one that I love for heavy O-Lifts but it's just no good for most high rep Crossfit stuff, the knurl will just tear your hands up (I actually may be filing it down soon).

Overall, I would recommend you talk to Ahmik Jones, the man knows bars! He has a great article on bars.

Ahmik's Bars
WFS

Eleiko Competition Bar Specs WFS

Edit: Just a little add on. I think the Eleiko is great but definitely over priced. That being said, the next bar I buy will be an Eleiko!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Go for the Eleiko because of the slight price difference now, it'll last you a lifetime, guaranteed. I've lifted on an Eleiko that is about 40 years old, looks and feels just like new.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Go for the Eleiko because of the slight price difference now, it'll last you a lifetime, guaranteed. I've lifted on an Eleiko that is about 40 years old, looks and feels just like new.
This, nothing against Pendlay, but if you can get an Eleiko bar for that price, go for it. I lift regularly on an Eleiko that is 20+ years old and it spins great!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
David Tybor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Condell View Post
. The Eleiko Training Bar
on sale for $667 (regularly $900+)
Where did you find that deal?

I walked into a used Eleiko Training Bar about a year ago, and -- I'll be honest -- it is the nicest thing I own.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Rogue has 25% off Eleiko products (discs too)

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/eleiko_bar.php (WFS)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Todd, I saw that Eleiko bar on the Rogue site at that price and was amazed as I paid $849 for my Elekio Olympic Training bar. Today, it's listed at $889 on the Rogue site. I purchased my Eleiko because I wanted a bar that was perfect on delivery and I have not been disappointed.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Todd Condell

Profile:

Thank you for input. Jesse thanks for the correction on the diameter of the Eleiko Training bar I got my info from the Titan website and after my email to them with questions and asking them about differences between the training bar and competition bar they don't have the diameter posted on their site. My mistake and thank. Jesse your link to Ahmik's article actually is a link back to this thread. As I said have researched exhaustively and if you could give the link I would appreciate it.

I will say it is hard to find anything bad about the Eleiko bars. Look at Keith and Brian's comments and I hear that regularly. David the link the Jeremy posted is where I found Eleiko's at that price new. I just don't like to advertise prices as some manufacturers and recently frauds take advantage and post over and over the same on this board. I feel that I see enough commercials so I don't need them on the boards. If a great deal arises I like to know about it, Realize that it's not just Rogue that has 25% of Eleiko products but there are a couple other companies as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Condell View Post
Thank you for input. Jesse thanks for the correction on the diameter of the Eleiko Training bar I got my info from the Titan website and after my email to them with questions and asking them about differences between the training bar and competition bar they don't have the diameter posted on their site. My mistake and thank. Jesse your link to Ahmik's article actually is a link back to this thread. As I said have researched exhaustively and if you could give the link I would appreciate it.

I will say it is hard to find anything bad about the Eleiko bars. Look at Keith and Brian's comments and I hear that regularly. David the link the Jeremy posted is where I found Eleiko's at that price new. I just don't like to advertise prices as some manufacturers and recently frauds take advantage and post over and over the same on this board. I feel that I see enough commercials so I don't need them on the boards. If a great deal arises I like to know about it, Realize that it's not just Rogue that has 25% of Eleiko products but there are a couple other companies as well.
Oops! Sorry about that.
Try This
WFS

If that doesn't work, just go to Crossfit SoCal's site and click on the link for "garage gym shopping list"
Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

FYI, that 25% discount was only good through Friday March 12th. Forget why Eleiko was doing that but it is a great thing to jump on if you knew.