CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Mike Wright

Profile:
Parkour just for <25?

I have been watching alot of Parkour vids recently and am always in awe at the ability of these guys. Of course Im inspired to run out to a nearby park and start trying it, but then I think...Im thirty four - what am I thinking. I know that CF has touched on Parkour, but not much more than that (as is evidenced by the limited vids on the mainsite).

So I guess Im wondering what the concensus is out there in CF land. Is it just for young people? How many 30+ out there are doing it? It seems an excellent demonstration of the several of the 10 domains (agility, accuracy, flexibility). If that's the case, why arent more of us doing it?

Thanks in advance, Mike.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Parkour just for <25?

34 isn't 60. You can handle the falls. Just go for it, and screw whoever doesn't give you ridiculously large amounts of credit for putting yourself out there. Try bouldering, rock climbing, and rings gymnastics as training methods. And practice the basics as frequently as is possible.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Uh, since when is 34 old?

I haven't personally tried Parkour, but since I'm fitter than I was at 25, I don't see why I couldn't if I wanted to.

Katherine
Old 10-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Quint Fischer

Profile:

We train parkour at Primal Fitness(wfs) and many of the people that come in are over 30. As it's popularity has spawned from the internet, it tends to draw a younger demographic, but like CrossFit, it isn't restricted by age. Obviously, it's probably unlikely you'll be able to do things like this(wfs) without years of training, but parkour is still a great discipline for the body and mind. It comes very close to touching on all ten general physical skills.

Jesse Woody, our head trainer, wrote some parkour articles in the CrossFit Journal. Check them out. American Parkour has a bunch of great information as well. You're only as old as you feel. Get out there and do it, man!

EDIT: I should've included this video as well. It's WFS.

Last edited by Quint Fischer; 10-03-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Yup, if you're over 15 you're too old for parkour, don't bother starting gymnastics either, too old. Oh, if you're over 5' 6" gymnastics will be too hard, and parkour will be too risky because of the load you'll have to bear. If you're under 6'6" don't play basketball because you're too short...

Ok, the above is the attitude you may get from some... not here. You're never too old. We've got folks in the 50+ category doing parkour. Sure, different considerations need to be made, but it can still be done, and you will get great benefit from it.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Clinton Stalker

Profile:

We practice it at work. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 10-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Oh, if you're over 5' 6" gymnastics will be too hard
Man, wish someone had told me that a year ago.... Ha ha, just kidding.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

I teach parkour, my oldest students were a 72 year old women and 68 year old man they had a blast, a couple of my best students are 31 and 34 respectively, you're never to old to train to move better.

Good parkour training is developmental of co-ordination, agility, speed, power, stamina, endurance and accuracy. Significantly more so in several of those categories in my experience then crossfit but then maybe I am biased. Its is not especially developmental of strength or flexibility both of which should be supplementally trained for optimal health and performance.

Parkour when trained incorrectly is dangerous, repetitive high impact training on concrete will wear on joints, falls from reckless training can result in injury add heights and they can easily be very serious injuries. If you start small, focus on developing fitness through parkour as opposed to trying to do big stunts then it is very safe. Just think of attempting a big drop without training as like trying to take a 400 pound bar down in squat your first day of weight training. Stay within your limits focus on technique and condition first, speed, power, and height secondarily.

Last edited by Rafe Kelley; 10-05-2009 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
Noel Welsh

Profile:

Time might be an issue for you. It can be frustrating when all the kids can train 3x as often and so progress much faster. It can also be annoying (and sometimes amusing) hanging out with the youth. However there is no physical reason you can't do parkour. If you can find a setup that you enjoy I'd go for it.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Also remember that Parkour's creator, David Belle, still practices what he preaches and he's 36.