CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
David Long

Profile:
Mandatory CrossFit

A women that works out with us is required to take a PE course to complete her studies. CrossFit was listed as one of the classes, so she signed up. She has 3 young kids and asked if she could do 1x a week on campus and 2x a week with us because it is 20+ minutes closer and we are an affiliate. The answer was "no". Question is, they are not listed as an affiliate ANYWHERE. can they do this? It is jamming her up with kids, and seems like they could make some allowances.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Mandatory CrossFit

Have you emailed HQ or anybody about this?

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
David Vessey

Profile:

I'm confused.. the school is saying that they're offering a 'crossfit course'? Or as part of the course, she has to go out and do crossfit at an affiliate?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
David Long

Profile:

Becca, I was putting it out here to see if this was common practice. I realize you can offer CrossFit without being an affiliate, but with a mid-size university I would have thought it would have been an affiliate.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

You cannot actually offer "crossfit" (in any capitalization, or none) without being an affiliate . . . that's a trademarked name.

Please e-mail HQ with the details . . . based on the (possibly incomplete) information you've provided, they (the university) are definitely in violation of trademark and need to get a "cease and desist" letter.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Interesting inquiry. Dave's no longer an affiliate. Hmmmm.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
David Long

Profile:

At the time of my original post I was very much an affiliate. My question was in regards to SalisburyUniversity offering CrossFit as a Physical Education course and not having any visible affiliation with CrossFit.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #8
Steve Rakow

Profile:

I looked up the course offerings at SU and didn't see any mention of CrossFit anywhere in their catalogue. Dave, I think that your client was blowing smoke and not being truthful to you. Whatever the case may be, no one can offer CrossFit classes without affiliating. Strange that she (your client) would come to you with that type of request.

BTW - What happened to you guys? One day affiliated, next day not. Lots of rumours flying amongst the locals here as to why. Please clear it up for us when you get a chance. And good luck on whatever path you guys have chosen for your business.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
David Long

Profile:

In regards to the Salisbury University issue, I checked the course catalogue and CrossFit is not listed anywhere. I talked to the person that asked me about this and she brought in the professor’s syllabus for the course that does state that they will be doing CrossFit work outs as part of the course. He makes no mention to CF in his bio or any other literature and Salisbury has very little CF going on there. The professor lists CSCS and BS in Kinesiology with 10 years strength and conditioning coaching. I found it odd that if he was certified to use CF, why he would make no mention of it. People are not nearly as scared to break rules like this as we think they are. I see sites DAILY that trample over IP from CF and everyone else. It was one of this gray areas like if a CF trainer is working at a Globo-Gym…can the gym list itself as an affiliate? I hear no but I have seen it done. Simply looking for an answer that I may have missed regarding the SU thing. I e-mailed the prof. directly, but never got a response.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Bottomline is that NO ONE can offer CrossFit classes without affiliation. Period. So, the prof is either unknowingly offering CrossFit classes without affiliating, or knowingly offering CF classes and giving CF the finger at the same time. Is his name Mark Twight?

I don't see many people at all using the CF name and running classes under the CF banner without affiliating. When they do, they get called out on it - as they should. CF HQ spends lots of $ protecting their trademark and I think they should in this case as well. I hope you forwarded all the relevant info to HQ for them to review and act on.

BTW - Can you tell us who the professor is and what class he was offering wherein the syllabus contained CrossFit workouts?