CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Dear Coach and anyone else....downward spiral.

The last few workouts have been very tough.In fact I would go as saying that they made me question my fitness and indeed Crossfit.I know that this is an irrational comment so I was looking for some ideas.
My pull ups have dropped like a stone.I normally can hit 17 but I struggled with 8.
I think my diet etc is ok so maybe I just need a rest.I am 43 and about 190lbs and generally think of myself as been in good shape.
I appreciate any comments or if anyone else gets a few weeks of **** WODS and then recovers.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Dear Coach and anyone else....downward spiral.

Guy,

How long have you been doing CF and what scheme (3 on, 1 off?). When is the last time you took a week off or a 1/2 intensity week? Sounds a lot like you're overdue for a longer period of recovery.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Dude;

Take a friggin rest
get a hobby
have your blood checked
eat more meat
start getting 9 hours of solid sleep
un plug the computer
get a dog
have more sex or any sex for that matter, with or without a partner

but as of now, you're toast, which is a grain, which is a carb, which is not cool.

Good luck and May the Force Return.

Last edited by Jay Cohen; 04-07-2008 at 01:49 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Jay speaks the truth!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

That's a funny answer!!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Daniel Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Guy,

How long have you been doing CF and what scheme (3 on, 1 off?). When is the last time you took a week off or a 1/2 intensity week? Sounds a lot like you're overdue for a longer period of recovery.
+1 +1 +1

Crossland,

I just ran into the same thing. I started xfit a while back and was rocking 3 on 1 off for at least a month in a half or two, no rest, no real break in the action. All of a sudden my stamina went down the crapper, my lifts greatly suffered, I couldn't sleep, I was irritable, my body ached, you name it. I completed a solid week off, no XFit, focused on my diet and the only exercise was walking the dog.

I just started back up today with Gwen (from Friday) and it felt great. I think I'm back in biz. I'm betting if you do the same, you'll be back in the game also.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
but as of now, you're toast, which is a grain, which is a carb, which is not cool.
Hilarious.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Here's the thing.

You know how Nicole does the lecture on Nutrition---"teeter totter"? She makes a bell-shaped curve. At the far left, is illness: diabetes, stroke, cancer, whatever. At the peak of the curve is Health, and at the far end is Fitness.

What I think is missing from the lecture is the dotted line linking back from the extreme of Fitness---"elite fitness"---back to illness. When you train hard, you push your body to a point where the body has to adapt. You get fitter. But if you under-recover, that positive, beneficial stess gets ugly with you. You have disturbed sleep, decreased performance, increased resting heart rate, increased infection rate and depressed mood. You get ill-er, not well-er.

Most sports have seasons. Athletes train to a peak, or a series of peaks, during their season. Then they relax their training schedules, relax their dietary discipline a tad, and let their bodies recover. They don't go completely to waste, they just get moderate. They recover.

If you aim to do Crossfit year-round, especially as your primary sport, you have build periodicity into it. Hence, Mr. Lindemann's suggested schedule of regular half-intensity weeks and regularly scheduled weeks off.

Either decrease your regular volume of Crossfit or build in some recovery. It's easier to "come back" if you rest regularly. Once you are as beat as you seem to be, it can take longer, particularly if you're not 23 anymore.

Susie
<------not 23 anymore
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

About three weeks ago, my shoulders were really sore, due to doing alot of pull-ups in one week + little sleep. So I took a week off and after starting up last week, they feel really good. I PRed on the pull-up workout today, did 19 minutes + 12 pull-ups (up from 16minutes + 15 pull-ups). So taking a week off does wonders. On a side note, I have felt mentally drained sometimes and have taken five days to a week off and did not eat nearly as strict as I normally do. After the break was over, I was motivated to eat strictly and go back to working out. So basically, do what the other people have been saying, back off until you feel good enough to workout again.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

If you are regressing in performance:

1. If you are sick, STOP working out until you are better. Working out while sick depresses the immune system because it has to clean up the mess/debris you make when you use your muscles. Generally, you get sicker when you workout while sick.

If not, go to #2.

2. Check your diet or your sleep. If these are off, then fix them and add 2-3 rest days.

If not, go to #3.

3. If you have not had a break from working out in the past 2-3 months, take at least 3-5 days off or do a half intensity week. If it exceeds 4-5+ months, take a week off.

If this is not the case see #4.

4. Check your job, home situation, school, etc. for excess stress. Excess stress leads to excess cortisol which is catabolic which can impede recover. Eliminate said stressors by whatever methods you generally use and take a couple days off.

If not the case, see #5.

5. You have poor genetics. Live with it.