CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Nathan Holiday

Profile:
Dear Linda,

So I did linda for the first time today. I've been mixing crossfit in my schedule on and off for a few months...not 'dedicated' by any means, but slowly evolving into a true crossfitters mentality. Ive lifted for awhile, my strength base is solid and with my huge ego I figured linda wouldnt be too much of a problem. Needless to say, I found myself saying "are you freakin kidding me?" around rotation 7.

At a bw of 195, she put me at a 295 DL, 195 Bench and 145 clean. I was definately doing more of a powerclean than a clean, but its more comfortable that way for me. The cleans were, by far, the most taxing. I clocked a 37:25, but had to lay down for 5 minutes afterwards, with a tingling sensation that was very unique...

I finished my first 10 all unbroken, but then 9 throu 6 were all broken on pretty much every exercise, until 5 where i started making all my reps again. Does anyone else have similar experiences? Im sure there are some monsters out there that do everything unbroken, but thats just ridiculous .

Anyway, once again, my hats off to the ladies.

N

Oh yeah, after i was done...you know, waddling around sweating profusely, some guy came up and asked me "Which bar are you using?" And i said, "well i was using all of them, but im done now." At which point he took a bar, placed it on an empty bench press, and instructed his female companion to lay down and put her feet up on the bar to do CRUNCHES! LOL. I just shook my head, and found the door through weary eyes.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Nathan Holiday

Profile:
Re: Dear Linda,

Uh oh. After doing some reading, i guess i was supposed to be doing full cleans. Towards the end of my workout i was doing cleans because they were easier, and i didnt have the pull to bring them up anymore. Oh well, i guess next time will be a true linda. I actually think this will make it easier for me...but maybe not...another one of those tricky crossfit questions .
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Holiday View Post
At which point he took a bar, placed it on an empty bench press, and instructed his female companion to lay down and put her feet up on the bar to do CRUNCHES!
What the...? http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9...approvetp3.gif

Good job on that Linda. I wish I even had the strength to do the lifts.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Nathan Holiday

Profile:

Thanks man. Im pretty sore today in the shoulder/upperback/chest/butt/hamstrings region...mostly the whole body. lol. I plan on doing the 5x5 FS today, so we'll see how that one goes . Ive been telling everyone i know to try Linda, but no one has taken me up on it yet ...i wonder why, haha.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Easier?

If that's true, how would you feel about Linda with deadlifts, bench, powercleans... and front squats?

You're adding most of a squat each rep when you full clean
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Nathan Holiday

Profile:

I think by squatting down deeper, it allows me to not have to pull as hard. I found that the explosion on the powercleans taxed me more than if i just squatted lower and caught the weight earlier. So less explosion + front squat would be easier for me...maybe..lol, i still have to try it before i make a final determination. I know that the last few reps of every set i did were full cleans, because as i got more and more tired, i would dip lower and lower until i was actually doing full cleans.

But again, Id have to try the whole workout before i said it was distinctly 'easier.'
Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Some people teach the squat clean/snatch that way, actually. Just have the athlete do power pulls until they get so fatigued that they sink into it.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Brother, I have very bad news for you. FSC for Linda makes it about 3x harder. Sorry, I wish it weren't so, but it is. I'd be willing to bet you on that one. After you try it another time with full squat cleans, tell me how it felt. The problem here, however, is as you get fitter, your times will drop exponentially and you're FSC time may be close to your first Linda (w/o the extra front squat). But I'm betting you're going to feel the difference by, oh, the round of 8 - metabolically, if not strengthwise.

good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Nathan Holiday

Profile:

I won't argue seeing as i havent tried both. Ill try it again in a few weeks and give an official update.

The metabolic stress is definately a good point. I was breathing hard as it was, the added compound movement of a FS wouldnt make it easier. And the extra effort i was putting in to propel the bar higher probably wasnt equal to FSing the weight. DAMN! It ****es me off that my first linda wasnt a true one, stupid linda with her stupid FS. lol.

Anyway, ill ask her out again, and we'll set a date in a couple weeks .

N