CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
make sure you don't miss the mastiff chasing the guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEbYtOEftc0

some moves in this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNT3VrjSHI
(Message edited by fmn on August 12, 2006)

(Message edited by fmn on August 12, 2006)
Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Community. No idea what's in it, but you aren't asking for coaching on your technique, so it doesn't go here.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
That's an old one but it is still cool to watch.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
All right. That's it. I'm starting a new trend called Parkour Lite. It's going to be designed for those of us who really want to do Parkour but don't really have the strength, mobility or gymnastic skills yet. It will be Parkour adapted for all computer geeks, paper pushers and grandmas. (No offense intended to all of the above who don't need a Lite version.) The rules are that everything must be done in slow motion (like, only as fast as you need to in order to do it). You have to practice one move a day. This move has to be something in your natural environment that you would normally walk around. Since emphasis is on slow-motion, crawling under is as acceptable as climbing over. Anyways, I started this a few days ago and so far I climbed over a two-foot fence, stepped over some bicycle racks and crawled under another fence-type thing. Next I'm going to see if I can jump over the side of these tunnels I always get kinda nervous walking through (because I am obsessed with situational awareness and it seems like there's no escape, and I'd like to have the option of either dealing with a bad guy or jumping into traffic).

So this post is for anyone who watched these videos and really really wants to do Parkour but has felt relegated to the sidelines because they're not fit enough or cool enough or flexible enough or skilled enough or badass enough. No more sitting and watching videos and wishin' on stars!! Parkour wannabes, unite! We have nothing to lose but...our inability to move around in our environment due to false self-imposed restrictions based on lack of skills that aren't entirely necessary for what we want to accomplish. Just because they look cool as doing it, doesn't mean we need to look cool as doing it! Just because Parkour experts can run and jump and roll really fast, doesn't mean we need to be able to run and jump and roll really fast to learn how to move through our environment better. Minimalist Parkour for the masses!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Frank M Needham

Profile:
lol, nice rant Yael!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
I'll join you as soon as I remove my pocket protector and hike my pants up just a little bit higher.:proud:
Old 08-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Excellent idea, check out my Crossfit Journal articles, as my main goal is universal scaleability. Just as you said, you don't have to move like people who have trained to an elite level through a lifetime of dedicated practice to realize the benefits of the art. Sounds an aweful lot like gymnastics and Olypmic Weightlifting. :D
Old 08-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Peter--leave the pocket protector in. Today I'm going to practice moving sideways through barely open gates instead of opening them, while wearing my geeky librarian glasses.

Jesse, is that the latest CF Journal article, or are there back issues I need to buy? I've had that issue sitting on my desk forever but have been too swamped to read it. I think I've looked at every Parkour website now and all of the training suggestions looked totally intimidating and even the "basics" looked really impossible. It might just be me though.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Just a quick P.S.--My Parkour Lite training partner, who is ranked in the game of Go and still sometimes plays Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, informed me that I was once again practicing reverse elitism, just like when I decided nobody who's in a sorority can ever come to any of my parties. So with that in mind, we decided even cool kids can join our group, even though I don't think they'd want to. And they still have to follow all the rules (don't try to look cool and go in slow motion).
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Still planning this Parkour Lite gathering, trying to figure out if/how to advertise it so it won't just be "treelizard and her friends," and also maybe if we could find someone who actually knew what they were doing to teach... But I figure it'd be cool to just start with an intro, pass around articles, maybe even show some clips...

I've been scouting out locations to work with, including this short fence I have permission to use (but my buddy and first recruit who I took there was totally intimidated by the idea of climbing it). It's chain link and very small, but I don't want to intimidate any people since that would defeat the very purpose of starting this training group... I asked her if I could try to help her over the fence, and she didn't even want to do that, either. I can kind of understand, though, there were some people on the corner and we felt watched. Next time I do this I'm gonna bring one of my guy friends to be de facto security so we'll have space to train. I'll bribe him with beer.

We went to the tunnels and practiced getting over the sides, and that was fun, but it was hard to make sure there weren't any cars coming. I put up a cone and played traffic guard, but they weren't that well lit. I think we could still use this, though.

I thought it might be good to tie in some sensory awareness excercises that anyone can do, or maybe learning how to move as a unit.

I still feel guilty for even wanting to get people together to do this when I'm still unable to do anything in the basic tutorials, but I thought we could all learn together. I just worry that with such a lack of skill and knowledge I might be more of a useless hack than someone actually helpful... So hopefully I'll put something together before I can back out of it.