CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: power training

"You can't develop explosive strentgh using 1 rep maxes because you can't move the weight fast enough"

Weightlifters would like to have something to say about this to you, since they primarily do 3 and less reps.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ross View Post
I'm asking because of sports like boxing/kick boxing where the lifting of heavy weights had traditionally been shunned.
Some very good "new breed" kickboxers work with heavy weights / lifts.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I'm asking because of sports like boxing/kick boxing where the lifting of heavy weights had traditionally been shunned.

Typically the only 'strength' training they would do would be bodyweight exercises as a base which would then morph into power bodyweight exercises for power endurance such as plyo pushups, squat jumps, burpees etc.
In many cases, I suspect that has more to do with the history of the art than with any real analysis of training methods. Farm and factory workers needed to be decently strong completely independently of any martial arts training, so pure strength wasn't something that their teachers really needed to address. Power and explosiveness were.

Katherine
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

There is specificity to training which has to be considered. Boxing power is more of a function of technique than absolute strength.

Are you trying to be a boxer or something? What do you want from your training?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Chris Ross

Profile:

No not trying boxing, just curious.

At the heart of it I guess my query is what is the best mthod by which to develop power endurance.

Is it to combine max strength and max power training with high rep strength and power training, or

just do high rep strength and power training.

So, for example, say I wanted to be able to perform 50 power snatches in a row with 50kg and at present I could only do this for 20 reps.

Would I be better off starting with 50kg on the bar and just gradually trying to build up my numbers with strength endurance and power endurance exercises related to and including the snatch, or

would I achieve the goal faster by combining heavy low rep strength and power exercises with strength endurance and power endurance exercises?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"would I achieve the goal faster by combining heavy low rep strength and power exercises with strength endurance and power endurance exercises? "

That
Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
So, for example, say I wanted to be able to perform 50 power snatches in a row with 50kg and at present I could only do this for 20 reps.
I think this exercise would get a lot easier if you added 10-20kg to your max snatch. Max strength and technique work would be the fastest way to do that.

Katherine
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

^^^ agreeing with that.

If your max bench is 250 (1RM) then odds are you can do 10-15 with 135-140, say you wanted to be able to do 20-25 with that weight (for some reason) do you think you'd get better results at just plugging away same weight week in week out, trying to squeeze out more reps, or do you think if you chucked on a good 20-30lbs on your bench the 135-140 would FEEL lighter for you.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
No not trying boxing, just curious.

At the heart of it I guess my query is what is the best mthod by which to develop power endurance.

Is it to combine max strength and max power training with high rep strength and power training, or

just do high rep strength and power training.

Would I be better off starting with 50kg on the bar and just gradually trying to build up my numbers with strength endurance and power endurance exercises related to and including the snatch, or

would I achieve the goal faster by combining heavy low rep strength and power exercises with strength endurance and power endurance exercises?
GET STRONGER. After that, add some strength endurance specific work.

First, GET STRONGER.