CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Old partially torn biceps tendon - effects?

Can anybody tell me what if anything this injury will limit me from doing? I know next to nothing about how muscles work. It's at the top of the biceps. I could have sworn I had a rotator cuff injury but this is what the doc said after MRI. Got one big x-ray guided steroid shot as the "cure".
It did not feel much better until I started lifting. Hardly hurts at all now which is great considering at one point I could not sleep could not pull a shirt off over my head. It was excruciating. Only problem now with pain is; I cannot put downward pressure on my shoulder as in a standing calf press (not that I want to do this) or carrying big honking computer bag on the shoulder. Computer bag toting would be handy but I put in on the other shoulder. Pain radiates from top of shoulder over across to the sternum. I don't get that? Seems the biceps tendon should not be up on top of your shoulder and certainly not going across your chest?
Am I always going to suck at pullups and pushups? Right arm is still much stronger than the left even with the injury. It must be as "heeled" as it will ever be after three years. It has never hurt in upper part of biceps like below the deltoid only on top of my shoulder. Doc is big wig sports medicine guy at UVA works on the athletes so I would assume he was right.

Any help from you sports medically minded guys and gals would be great, thanks in advance .

Last edited by Jill Zimmerman; 10-24-2008 at 04:02 AM..
Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Curt Garner

Profile:
Re: Old partially torn biceps tendon - effects?

Here's an illustration of the biceps attachments, taken from p.275 of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, 2nd ed. (Click to enlarge the pic.) Maybe it will help explain the pain at the top of your shoulder, though the radiating pain into the chest is beyond me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bicep pic.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2755

Last edited by Curt Garner; 10-25-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: Old partially torn biceps tendon - effects?

Forgot that picture was in the book, thanks.