CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
David Bayer

Profile:
"The Skye's the Limit" WOD

I knew Skye in high school. I have always wanted to do something for her. I was in a devastating car wreck the same year Skye received her injuries 2010. and I could only hope that people would pitch in to help my family care for me if the same had happened. With the Crossfit community I feel I can help now more than ever so please follow this link to read her full story and what my company and I are trying to do for her (http://lifewithnoglory.com/promotions/skyes-limit/) If you own a box and want more info email helpskye@lifewithnoglory.com. The WOD event is Oct 25th 2013. Share with other box owners and athletes. You can even do it in the comfort of your garage gym! Thank you in advance
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Joe Mercurio

Profile:
Re: "The Skye's the Limit" WOD

The linked article says "Unfortunately her families insurance will not pay for the medically needed device." Can you elaborate why her families insurance will not pay for a hyperbaric chamber? Is it because the FDA says this about HBOT treatment (WFS)?

Quote:
...hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) has not been clinically proven to cure or be effective in the treatment of cancer, autism, or diabetes. But do a quick search on the Internet, and you'll see all kinds of claims for these and other diseases for which the device has not been cleared or approved by FDA.

Patients may incorrectly believe that these devices have been proven safe and effective for uses not cleared by FDA, which may cause them to delay or forgo proven medical therapies

Patients may be unaware that the safety and effectiveness of HBOT has not been established for these diseases and conditions, including:
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Sports Injury
- etc
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
David Bayer

Profile:
Re: "The Skye's the Limit" WOD

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ur...hA&oi=scholarr Follow this link to a scholarly article on HBOT therapy for brain injury. In the conclusion it quotes "studies show there is a small chance of mortality benefits, which may be dependent on appropriate selection of patients" From the views of Skye's parents it does help. And even if it is just one tiny shred of possibly working I guarantee they will go all in. I am not going to argue whether the FDA is always right or not. I guarantee there will be bias articles all over that will argue every which way. All I am saying is when someone is in need. You help them out. Skye was and still is an amazing girl and Skye's parents are very loving to her. If you feel skeptical than that is fine and normal. Don't donate in that case but still send positive thoughts her way. As for elaborating, the family has not said why insurance won't cover it. The insurance company could be paying for the doctors visit to use the hyperbaric treatment but refuse to pay for the purchase of the machine itself or it could be because the FDA does not endorse it for brain damage based on your article.