CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Stacy McCann

Profile:
7-8 Blocks too little for tiny person?

Could use some expert advice on Zone. Switched to zone (from Paleo) 3 months ago. 3 weeks/mon I'm only taking in 7-8 blocks because I'm full. I'm 5'0 and 105, building muscle and shaving time off here and there. Feel good, but there's still some fat loss that would help, although that is not too worrisome. Calories probably avg 1300. PMS week they drive upwards to 1500 and 10 blocks, but otherwise pretty good. How do you know how to tweak or if you're okay on zone? Do you solely judge by performance, recovery (which is good)? I would like to make bigger strides with PRs. Sleep great too. ?? thanks much.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 7-8 Blocks too little for tiny person?

What's your activity level like? 8 blocks is pretty low, even for a smaller person.

Also, why are you following the Zone in the first place? It's a calorie-restricted diet, and therefore not a great idea unless you're trying to lose weight, which at 105 lbs I'm guessing (hoping!) you're not.

Katherine
Old 11-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Stacy McCann

Profile:

No,not trying to lose weight. Switched to zone to see if I could make more progress with PRs. Have found much better, quicker recovery with Zone. Would you recommend getting back to more paleo? How do you gauge? I guess that's what I'm asking.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy McCann View Post
No,not trying to lose weight. Switched to zone to see if I could make more progress with PRs. Have found much better, quicker recovery with Zone. Would you recommend getting back to more paleo? How do you gauge? I guess that's what I'm asking.
For improved recovery and more PRs, I'd suggest just plain more food. You can accomplish that by eating more blocks, or by tweaking your ratios -- one common substitution is to add more fat.

Katherine
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:

How did you come up with 1300-1500?

1 block meal will give you only 91 kcal

1 block of protein = 7 g x 4 = 28 kcal
1 block of carbs = 9 g x 4 = 36 kcal
1 block of fat = 3 g (1.5 for fat block + 1.5 for fat in protein) x 9 = 27 kcal

Total: 28+36+27 = 91 kcal

This means, that 8 blocks will add up to only 728 kcal. And 10 blocks - 910.

Dr. Sears is clear on the amount of protein you should eat - no more, and no less, than your body needs. So, I would calculate according to the tables he gives in the book, and find what is optimal for you. If 7-8 blocks is what you need, than it should be fine

I'm starting my first Zone trial 2 days from today. Want to see if this will work better than paleo. When trying paleo, my performance actually got better as soon as I started reintroducing more carbs into my diet! Absolute goal is paleo-zone, but we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Joey Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia Reynolds View Post
How did you come up with 1300-1500?

1 block meal will give you only 91 kcal

1 block of protein = 7 g x 4 = 28 kcal
1 block of carbs = 9 g x 4 = 36 kcal
1 block of fat = 3 g (1.5 for fat block + 1.5 for fat in protein) x 9 = 27 kcal

Total: 28+36+27 = 91 kcal

This means, that 8 blocks will add up to only 728 kcal. And 10 blocks - 910.
Foods contain calories from more than one macronutrient... even though you only count each food toward one. Which is even more reason the zone diet is absurd. If you want to consume your calories in a ratio of 40P/30C/30F, then track your calories and do that. I'd skip the silly block counting that will result in a range of macronutrient ratios anyways.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:

People in the Zone forums say the recommendation has been changed and now says no one should eat less than 11 blocks.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Want to see if this will work better than paleo. When trying paleo, my performance actually got better as soon as I started reintroducing more carbs into my diet! Absolute goal is paleo-zone, but we'll see how it goes.
No one would ever argue your performance wouldn't go up by adding carbs if you are eating low carb. Paleo doesn't particularly mean low carb though. It's just people tend to eat low carb on it because they won't shove down enough sweet-potatoes or squash.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Natalia Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
It's just people tend to eat low carb on it because they won't shove down enough sweet-potatoes or squash.
Exactly, that was my problem with paleo. I cannot eat too much salad and all the other carbs were off limit. I was eating a lot of fruit, but it still wasn't enough.
And I guess I went little bit too extreme, because I've read that sweet potatoes were not paleo, so I would consider them a cheat food and not eat them.

I hope that the Zone will help me to 'regulate' how much carbs I am eating. I like the idea of 10-11 block day giving me under 100 g of carbs a day.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Exactly, that was my problem with paleo. I cannot eat too much salad and all the other carbs were off limit. I was eating a lot of fruit, but it still wasn't enough.
And I guess I went little bit too extreme, because I've read that sweet potatoes were not paleo, so I would consider them a cheat food and not eat them.

I hope that the Zone will help me to 'regulate' how much carbs I am eating. I like the idea of 10-11 block day giving me under 100 g of carbs a day.
A number of people have said that sweet potatoes are paleo, Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson to name a few. Robb even says that a great PWO meal is salmon and sweet potatoes, or whey protein mixed with apple sauce and sweet potatoes. Regardless of whether or not they are "paleo," eat them if you perform better with them in your diet. There was even a post about a game's athlete who introduced oatmeal into her diet and performed better and was leaner as a result. So don't get too hung up over whether something is paleo or not, if it works for you then eat it.

I used to think all potatoes were bad, but after trying sweet potatoes I found that I recover better, and have more energy throughout the day and for the next workout. I also have had no cravings for junk food since including them, so another reason for me to include them.