CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

If you don't mind me asking, what are people doing in the weight room outside the WOD? I've recently realized that I'm super weak and will never be able to perform the WOD with intensity untill I get STRONG. Anybody else trying to correct a strength deficit?

Have people layered Westside or Pavel's PTP on top of the WOD? Or a program from T-Nation or someplace? Are you practicing olympic lifting? I'm curious and looking for guidance.

Even if you've got different goals, I'd really appreciate hearing how other people are trying to reach them.

Thanks alot for sharing your insights and experiences.

Matt O'Donnell
Old 05-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Matt, Berry had an excellent idea about 3-4 months ago; it went somthing like this: Every quarter do extra workouts which focus on a diffrent CF skill. (All of this is extra work above and beyond the WOD):

Jan/feb/mar: Powerlifting

Apr/May/Jun: Gymnastics

Jul/Aug/Sep: "Energy System" work (run, bike, row)

Oct/Nov/Dec: O-lift

Although this seems like a western Periodization plan, it really is not. The problem with WP is you work on one aspect of training (power) and then stop and move to another area (speed), de-training the power you developed. The diffrence with this plan is that the WOD is working all of these skills, year around. So if you increase your O-lifts #age, you should not lose too much strength after the O-lift cycle, because you are working O-lifting as part of the WOD. The order of the above example is random, you could order it any way you want. This would be a good way to increase WOD related skills and you could plan your year. You could also get coaching for whatever phase your in...find an O-lifting coach during your O-lifting cycle, etc.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

Also work the warmup - if you think the WODs too tough to really work the full warmup, do the WOD then a couple rounds more later. Add what your weak into the WU, I do HSPUs almost every round, just a few. Do rounds on the off days. When you can do 3 rounds of the WUs with unbroken sets of 15 on everything you'll be alot stronger.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
hey Larry,

that's a good idea about focusing on a different area each quarter. i'm also weak and was thinking of doing something like this.
glad u posted that. thanks

Steve R
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

I'm currently working on oly lifts in addition to the WOD. I'm following the:

DAY 1 Warm-up/WOD/Snatch 8sets x 2reps
DAY 2 Warm-up/WOD/C&J 10sets x 1rep
DAY 3 Warm-up/WOD/REST

idea that has been posted here and it's working pretty well. Only done a few cycles, but I'm getting into the "groove" better.

I've just got the World Class Coaching tapes, so I'll also be working some drills in addition to the above.

As well as the oly lifts, I've started an adult gymnastics class, which I should be attending twice a week, but ends up being more like once every 2 weeks. This is not specifically addressing strength deficits, but with ring work, parallel bars, floor etc, there are certainly strength elements involved.

Coming from a bit of a raw strength deficit myself I was tempted to try Coach Rutherford's CrossFit ME template described in the latest Performance Menu journal, but I couldn't bring myself to give up the WOD as written. So for now, I'll be working stuff in addition to the WOD.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
Matt,

FWIW, I believe that low rep, high weight Olympic lifting before most of your workouts will provide the results that you are looking for.

Pavel talks at length about the 'tonic' effect of heavy lifting at the start of an exercise session. Of course be warmed up and start with managable weights. Less than five sets of less than five reps won't make you tired and will greatly improve your strength in every area. Barbell, Dumbbell and Kettlebell Clean and Jerk/Press, Snatch, Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Squat are all time proven exercises to improve whole body power.

Just keep the sets and reps down to stay fresh and invigorated. Every set, rep, session should feel great. Never work to failure. I've been starting all of my workouts with BB Overhead Squats and have seen good progress. Of course your mileage may vary.

Best regards,
Bruce
Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I started doing PTP overhead squats every day as of 2 weeks ago and I am already feeling stronger. I think the best way to describe it is that I feel much more solid. I have been doing them at a different time in the day from the WOD, but I think I will give it a try as part of my warm-up and see how that goes.

I also started to do a stair workout that someone posted a month ago http://www.ringside.com/articles/arc...ner/stairs.htm. I do it about twice a week and I like it a lot, really gets you panting. I'm looking for a good plyo workout with my medicine ball to throw in once or twice a week also. I am a big big fan of plyometrics!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
After the WOD I allow myself to do whatever I feel like, sort of like an open gym. Several days a week I hit the bag for 5-10 rounds. Recently I have been doing a lot of work on the rings and parralettes. I've been thinking about incorporating a PL routine like the one described in the May CF journal.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Look at the WOD. Decide if you'd be better suited performing it before or after a strength session.

Remember that performing strength moves while fatigued is sometimes a good idea, unless it's causing form to breakdown.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #10
Brian Gibson

Profile:
I do about the same thing as John. I usually do some ring and parallette work in addition. I also try to work handstands every day.