CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
John McEneany

Profile:
Have any members dealt with Hi-Temp? I ordered some bumper plates on Dec.12th, and so far they have been unable to tell me when they will ship or even who they would ship by.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
John,

We bought some bumpers from them in August. They arrived in San Diego 3 or 4 days after we made the order. It seems weird that they have been so bad in handling your order. Maybe the level of organization in the company has slipped in the past few months.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
John McEneany

Profile:
Also they do not respond to emails. I will phone them again tomorrow and if I get the same person I will ask to speak with someone else.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Hi John,

I recently ordered 4X45s, 2X35s and 2X25s from them. As you probably know, their offices are only open Monday-Thursday. On a Thursday, I spoke with their customer service rep over the phone (a really nice lady with a southern accent) and told her about my desire to order from them. She gave me an estimated shipping charge for shipping the 6 plates that I wanted at the time (she had to call me back after getting the quote). I then faxed over my order that Thursday. On Friday, the next day, I modified my order a bit; I sent in a modified order for a total of 8 plates. I called and left them a message also to make sure they didn't miss my order modification (their office is closed on Friday, as I mentioned).

On Monday, I talked to the same customer service rep and verified that my order had been modified. The shipping charge for 8 plates came to $115, and of course the plates were .92/pound. The plates shipped out that Monday, and they arrived at my place the following Wednesday! That's from Georgia to Michigan in 2 days.

They came via UPS, and the boxes were destroyed by the time they got there. The 45s actually fell right through the boxes by the time the UPS guy got them up to the house. But other than poor packaging, I had no problems.

They aren't the prettiest looking plates; some of the edges are rough (from the rubber mold) and one of the 45s has a bit of a deformed edge, but I don't care for .92/pound. They work great and I love them.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with getting your order processed. That really surprises me. If I were you, I'd call up the customer service rep and speak firmly with her and tell her that you know others have gotten their plates on time, and to ask what the heck is going on. The service you are describing is the complete opposite of what I received.

You can't find a better deal on bumper plates, even if the plates aren't as pretty looking as some of the other brands. If you want plates that are solid, durable, cheap, and get the job done, then I recommend the Hi-Temp ones I have.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Will Nuse

Profile:
I had a similar experience that Justin mentioned, though I thought the packing was excellent (just bumpers shrinkwrapped to a pallet). I just faxed my order in (2x10kg, 2x15kg, 2x25kg; already had 4x20kg from John Daniel), and requested they give me a call with a shipping quote before sending it to me, but they sent it anyway. I was slightly irritated by that, but I should've probably called for the quote if I was that concerned about it; the low price more than made up for the shipping, which was lower than I thought it'd be.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Jerry Walker

Profile:
i oredered about 280lbs of plates to florida strapped to a pallet good customer service no probs, i forgot who the contact person is if you do a search you will prob find his name
Old 01-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Steve Serrano

Profile:
We've ordered from them and then found a local rep in CA. The weights have lasted well and they've been trashed, and stored outside. They were right on weight wise. The service was always good with the company too.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Also had no problems--excellent service, in fact, and I ordered just after Katrina.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I used to be a dealer with Hi-Temp

If you don't tell them exactly what you want and need then they may mess up your order. Otherwise I have found them to have good customer service and support.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
John McEneany

Profile:
I called sales again this morning, and was told that they might get to my order by this Thursday. It seems like they do not not stock up on bumpers, and make them as needed. So far 4 weeks have gone by since I first placed the order. I will give them one more chance!