CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Scott C. Miller

Profile:
There I said it.

Newbie to Crossfit - been doing the 'crossfit light' version for about 2 weeks from Mens Health mag - and I'm loving every horrible minute of it. I'm ready to move to the WODs.

I've searched the archives, and found some information regarding bars, but nothing specifically aimed at the wee-man user.
I am 5'7", 155#, 38yo. I am outfitting my home/work with some equipment.
Do I need the full-size olympic bar? Now or ever?
I plan to go with Bumper plates (?Glenn Pendlay?).
I have 'weightlifted' for about 5 years (yeah, I know, but I was 130lbs), and have used the 'olympic' bars at the gym, but I've only done Bench Presses, Deadlifts, Squats utilizing the bar/weights.
If I am to learn and execute the more explosive movements of Power Lifting, am I better off with a 'woman's' or 'junior' Olympic bar of some type?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Scott,

Get a regulation Olympic Bar. Given the topic of your post, I was expecting you to be 4'8" or something.

There's absolutely no reason for you to compromise in this area.

Consensus on this board and elsewhere dictates buying a decent bar, rather than the $50 sports store version. If you Crossfit/O-lift with any intensity whatsoever, you're going to kill a bargain bar quickly.

As you get more adept at lifting, you may find yourself gravitating toward some serious O-lift practice and/or competition. USA Weightlifting isn't going to let you use a women's bar just because you're 5'7".

Good luck!

Best,

Jon
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Scott,

Below is a pic of Naim Suleymanoglu, the Pocket Hercules. He's 5 ft tall and weighed about 135#. Now THAT'S a wee man. If he can use a full-sized bar, I'll bet you can too.

Glenn a great resource and will help you find the right bar for your needs and budget.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35534.jpg

(Message edited by john_seiler on January 16, 2007)
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Scott C. Miller

Profile:
Thanks guys.
I have no doubt that there are many folks smaller in stature than I who can lift big weight.
I guess my question was posed because I thought that with the crossfit methodology, I would be better served (or at least equally so) with a smaller bar. Why? Heck, I don't know.
Thanks for the info.
I think I'll give Glen a call and get the gear.
Scott
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
The only reasons I can see to get a lighter bar would be if you struggled with high rep olympic lifts at ~65# (Bar + 2x10lb Bumpers).

The only other reason I could fathom would be if you prefered a smaller bar diameter.

Get a Pendlay bar. Even if you don't like it for the above, you can use it for heavier lifts.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
Scott,
A lot depends on your finances. You are correct that if you need a lighter weight bar to work through a modified WOD then that would be a good choice for purchase. Unless you are going to share your equipment with other beginners, smaller women, etc., you will probably outgrow the smaller bar pretty quickly. No big deal if you don't mind the cost and clutter of obsolete equipment. There are some well reviewed vendors in the archives and I would defer to their recommendations. One theme is common on this board though - get the best bar that you can afford, and if you only want to afford one bar get a full sized bar and modify the workouts by exercise type and rep numbers to accomodate the heavier weight. FWIW, nobody was born being able to consistently execute the WOD as written. Starting strong isn't nearly as important as consistency and perseverance.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Travis Loest

Profile:
Scott,
You can't go wrong with a bar from Glenn Pendlay, I got the CrossFit bar just before christmas and love it. Check around on prices of bumpers depending on where you are you may be able to pick them up yourself and save yourself some $$.