CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Beau Bryant

Profile:
I have the chance to purchase a like new Pro York Olympic bar and collars for $75 OBO. This would be the first bar for my garage gym, worth it or should I wait? I haven't heard much here about York bars. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
There's been quite a bit of talk about York barbells and the general consensus has been "thumbs up" in regards to quality, reliability, and service.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Thanks Anthony,
I was holding out for the Pendlay crossfit bar but if I can pick this York bar up locally for a good price I didn't want to miss a quality bar for a good price.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
David Cynamon

Profile:
It might be good to find out exactly what bar it is. York makes a lot of different bars of very good to competition quality, with different diameter shafts and types of collars for power lifting or weightlifting. The shafts range from 25mm to 32mm. Here are some of the different bars that I've seen on there website, USA-Made Elite Competition Olympic Bars, USA-Made Competition/Training Bars, Hard Chrome International Bars w/Split Sleeves, International Needle-bearing Olympic Training Bars, Black Oxide International Bars w/Hard Chrome Split Sleeves, and an economy bar.

Allison Foreman often posts here and she works for York Barbell, maybe she could help you find out exactly which bar you may be getting.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Beau,

York products generally seem to get the nod from many CFers, so I think you are pretty safe, but if you can wait for Allison to post, or send her a PM, it couldn't hurt...Or, just commit the $75 and have something to work with for the time being :biggrinthumb:
Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Hi, guys. David's right, York Barbell makes lots of different Olympic lifting and weightlifting bars. Beau, I'd be happy to help you out on what kind of bar you're looking at - I'm just a wee bit puzzled by the description "Pro York Olympic Bar" since that nomenclature doesn't exist in our product lineup. Want to be sure its a York Barbell bar and that its appropriate for your usage. I'll send you a post! Thanks for the support, all!
Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Thanks Allison,
I have a picture of the collar, it Has York stamped on it, looks like a pretty good bar from the close up pick he sent me. I had trouble uploading the picture here but will try again when I get home from work. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
It is possible to pick up great used products sometimes for next to nothing! I had a gentleman call me a couple of weeks ago wanting to see about ordering a Crossfit bar, during the conversation he mentioned that he had the chance to buy an "old rusty bar" from a local gym for $25.

He described the bar, and we determined that it was in fact one of the old York weightlifting bars manufactured in the late 60's or early 70's. Split collar, but just straight steel and no chrome coating. Now I have several of these bars, and I absolutely love them. They are generally about 27.8 or 27.9mm shaft diameter, probably because over 30 years the knurl has basically rusted off, but they still offer a good feel in the hand, great bar whip, and they are extremely durable. I have more than one lifter who prefers those old bars over many of todays more expensive bars.

I told him that he shouldnt even think of buying one of my crossfit bars if he could get this bar for $25, and if it was still fairly straight... so he went and bought it. What a bargain!!! I would have paid $200 for that bar without even hesitating.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Beau forwarded pics to me - what he's got is a nearly new 32004 York USA Power Bar, 29mm, satin chrome finish (bar lists at $480). Has SAE 563 sintered-bronze oil impregnated bushings to allow for smooth sleeve rotation, and meets IWF competition standards. The Olympic Speed Collars are with the bar (36042) as well as some Olympic Iron Training Plates in kgs. Recommend he grab it!!! A wonderful find - I'm happy for him!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Alison,
Is the power bar a stiffer bar than the International Bearing O Bar? or are they pretty simialar in that respect?

Nice find Beau - I am rather jealous.