CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I just bought a pair of Nike Equalon shoes and it was after I bought them buddy at the store tells me that they also can hook up with your iPod and tell you your running stats. Great. Except it's only for iPod nano :angry: any ideas as to why? I have the 5th gen. 30g.
By the way, the Nike site wasn't any help.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Roger Smith

Profile:
I'm not much of a runner, but I was looking at these and chatting with a guy at the store, as i am a gadget freak.. First, you have to buy a kit called ipod sport. I think it was around $30. According to him, the rumor is it will work with basically any shoe, just the nike has a special compartment for it. However, I think it will only work with the Nano, the recieving unit attaches to the plugin part on the Nano, and I'm guessing it is a diffeent plug in. I didn't have my ipod with me, but i think it looked different size.

(Message edited by rogersmith on January 06, 2007)
Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Nathanial Neal

Profile:
There is no different port it is the same as all ipods. I have used it for a few months got it when it first came out. I do not know why it only works on nanos but i know it has to do with the software on it soe maybe in the future the patchs for the other ipods will work.

My nano is first gen and i had to download the newest update for it to work so hopefully they will patch the other ipods for it as well since ther is a larger market for it that way.

Probly a marketing gimic to sell the new gen nanos.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I run with a cheap garmin etrex GPS unit, Kinda bulky nut if your secure it tight against you with it's hardly noticable.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
Is the 30 g the video? If so it has moving parts which could go kaput if you run a lot w/ it. That's how it was described to me.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Yes, I have the 30g with video. I keep it in one of those straps on my arm that makes me look cool, so it doesn't move too much....I hope.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
Sean,

Actually the iPod Nano uses flash technology, which, in simple terms, is basically information stored on a circuit board (no moving parts).
All other iPod's (with exception to the shuffle) use a Hard Drive, which, in simple terms, is basically a rotating magnetic disc.

Although they sell all these running accessories for the iPod, I do NOT recommend running with it. The moving parts can, and will be damaged through prolonged use. I believe the skip protection on the iPod is about 20 Minutes. (I use to run about 30min to an hour with my ipod, and it use to skip halfway. I would have to reset it in the middle of my run).
I've ruined two 20gig iPod's this way.
I now use my nano for running, and the gym, and my iPod video for home and car use.
I have been running, and exercising aggressively for about a year with my nano and have had no problems.

My guess is, Apple knows this, so that is why they made the shoes work only with the Nano.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
Sean Harrison

Profile:
So you're saying I have an excuse to buy a nano? :msn-wink:
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #9
Travis Loest

Profile:
yes! although my wife is already getting pretty tired of the "but, I need it for CrossFit" story, and, I've only been home for about a month and a half!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
James Falkner

Profile:
Solid state (aka flash drive aka iPod Nano aka RAM aka no moving parts) last longer on a single battery charge and are more reliable. Moving parts are tough on batteries. Just like pullups (kipping or otherwise) are a lot harder on your battery than, say, playing chess or doing curls. It's all about power.

Point is, if you're going to use it mostly for running, the lighter weight and no moving parts should far outweigh the benefits of 40-80gb of music.

The best part of this story is that the prices are so low now that you should own a solid state-based device AND a HDD-based device.