CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
I just found out that I'm staying in Corpus for another 6-9 months or so, so I'm going to get serious about finishing my garage gym. First on the list is a lifting platform.

Here's the problem, though: it's a one-car garage and I'd like to continue to park my car in it since the car got broken into once a few months ago when I left it out overnight. Could I just make a pretty sturdy one like this one and prop it up against the wall when it wasn't in use, or would that warp the platform since it'd be in that position more often than not?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
That platform is going to be really heavy. Even a normal 3 layer plywood and rubber 8x8 platform is really hard to move after you put it together. We have some on carpet at our gym and I ended up having to put the jack from my car against the wall (I put plywood over the drywall so I wouldn't just put a hole in the drywall) to move the platform a couple of inches. You can lift a side of the platform if you get a crowbar underneath it, so you can get your fingers under it to deadlift, but you would not wan't to do that every time you lift. What I would do is this: http://www.crossfiteastside.com/2005/12/platforms.html (Work Family Safe). Mat your whole garage in horse stall mats with the exception of one 4x6 space and then put down some plywood, particle board or mdf in that space. You can park your car over the horse stall mats.

Josh Everett did something similar here: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/26646.html (Work Family Safe).
Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
I like the drive over idea, but I would cover the plywood with maybe a chunk of 1/4 inch plywood to keep car drippings off of where you stand.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Will Nuse

Profile:
I hadn't thought of that idea, Ahmik--thanks. I did realize that the platform was going to be super heavy as well. Paul, good call on covering the plywood.

What I may end up doing is only covering the back section of my garage with mats because the garage door impedes overhead lifting in the front (no point to having mats there). To keep the mats at the front from sliding loose I could make either a simple frame on the floor or possibly put a single piece of material (either a small L-angle or wood) down and tack it to the baseboards/wall to keep the mats from beginning to slide.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Roger Smith

Profile:
I use a number of stall mats. I still need to get plywood for the center, but it won't fit in the car. I cover the mats with a cheap nylon tarp, when there is snow or rain.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Will, I would NOT build that platform, it is waaay too heavy and is more complicated than it needs to be. Both IronMind and Ivanko have the directions for building a wood/rubber platform on their respective sites, though I would NOT glue the plywood as Ironmind reccomends. I'll look for a link.

You would be better off just throwing down stall mats as Roger mentioned, and maybe using a piece of 3/4" CDX for the center.

If you are going to be dropping a LOT of weight on a regualar basis, then by all means build a real platform.

edit: here is the MILO link, the Ivanko one is gone:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/export/IronMind/Main/homesweathome6.html

Just don't glue the plywood and everything will be fine . . . .

(Message edited by clay_jones on January 19, 2007)
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Will Nuse

Profile:
Clay, thanks for the link. I'll measure things out and figure out what I need tomorrow morning. Thanks all for your input; I'll let you know how it turns out.