CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Roy Williams

Profile:
Hello Crossfit.

I'm considering ordering the ironmind kb handles for swings and possibly around the body passes. Im planning to mainly use it at 1.5 pood but may take it up in time.

Whats the heaviest anyone's loaded them up to and has anyone had a collar failure with this item? I have a 1 pood and am hoping that the ironmind can substitute for the 1.5 and 2 pood. If it can go even heavier than that then it's a bonus.

I realise that solid bells are the optimum choice, however cost, ability to scale and the convenience of using the standard plates I already own rather than having to store more heavy equipment appeals to me.

I've searched the forums but have had no luck with finding this particular information. If someone knows of an established thread with this information it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think most people will agree that ironmind makes a lot of great products but the kb handles aren't among them. I'm sure they work fantasticly and will last forever, but the design leaves a lot to be desired. Get a real 1 or 1.5 pood KB from Dragondoor, Kettlebellconcepts or K2Fitness. Learn how to do all your KB moves with that. The scalability isn't the real issue. Do less or more reps. If you can't do the moves with your kettlebell, then use a light dumbbell to learn the move, then when you're strong enough grab the bell.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
I am a long time Ironmind customer and I second Keith's opinion. The Kettlebells are a definite pass. I bought a pair years ago and they have seen little use while I am an avid Girevik. The grip portion is too thin and the loading section is too long. You are also taking your life in your hands if you lift them over your head. I have a set of Ironwoody loading KBs and they work very well. The plastic molding seam on the Ironwoody handles needed some attention from a file but otherwise they've been great. Solid KBs are still the best, imho. I only have the DD brand but other less expensive brands have been well reviewed on this board.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
New to the kettlebell world, I recently picked up a couple of pairs of Apollo Kettlebells at a store in the northern san diego area. The odd thing though, they have a flat rubber bottom. I wonder if this will affect any of the juggling or crazy tosses. Does anyone have any experience with these kettlebells, are they any good?..

I guess I was really excited to find them in a store rather than trying to buy them online.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Roy Williams

Profile:
Thank you for your replies everyone,

I Olympic lift 3 days a week and feel that I get enough overhead exercise from that. I have a 1pood and enjoy working with it for swings but don’t feel that I have much more need for it. If I was to move away from this area and couldn't train oly anymore I would probably change over to KB's and buy the cast bells. I plan to be here for the next four years of university and as I only need something for swings (i.e. Helen) I can't justify the solid bells on my student's budget.

It would cost me approx 4 times the cost of an adjustable kb to buy a 1.5pood - to eventually upgrade to a 2 pood would take it to a total of approx 8-9 times the cost of ordering 1xhandle (which as I mentioned would be able to use equipment I already own)

Thank you especially Bruce for the recommendation of the iron woody product. It looks to be a better buy & unlike ironmind they tell you how much weight it can actually be loaded to.

Does anyone know of a particularly good adjustable dumbbell for swings? I've only handled a few types and find the handles too short for two hand work - and I dont know how to determine wether a particular dumbell can take the stress of balistic exercise.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Roger Smith

Profile:
If your looking to mainly do swings, I'd look into Dan John's idea in his newsletter. It works great.

links to a safe pdf...

http://danjohn.org/II7.pdf

Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Those Kettle Grips from Ironwoody really caught my eye.

How important is it to have a kettlebell you can throw?

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 01-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
Throwing a heavy KB is not necessarily an activity to untake lightly. Dropping a heavy KB is common in my experience. I've launced the Ironwoody handles a few times onto the hard packed dirt of my backyard. No problems that a few turns with the hex-key didn't fix. I think that I would rather beat up a less expensive Ironwoody set than bust a handle on an expensive cast KB. Access to soft dirt or sand alievates most of these concerns.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Michael Angelica

Profile:
Iron woody has some very inexpensive new cast iron kettlebells that I will look into soon. Cheap shipping. You can get them in pairs for free shipping at decent prices at renegadetraining.com as well. There is a link at the front page to the sales. Just putting in my two cents.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
Michael Angelica

Profile:
You should also check out www.uskettlebells.com. They have an adjustable kettlebell that really looks amazing. More expensive than iron woody kettlegrips but they are very well made and are scaleable for a very good price compared to traditional.