CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Martial Arts Fitness with CF methodology

Folks,

Since staring CrossFit, I've been neglecting my TKD training, mostly because the "sport" of CF has been more appealing to me than the "sport" of TKD lately. However, I went to a class last week, and attending a rank testing last night. After discussions with my instructor, I've agreed to start helping a once or twice a week "fitness" session to start to help our students increase overall fitness, and ultimately achieve the goal of the small fitness standards (pushups and situps) that are being implemented for rank testing.

So, besides GTG with situps and pushups, I plan on drawing from the list of Eva T's bodyweight workouts.

Any age-specific advice for kids, preteens, teens, or adults when starting fresh with this sort of regimen? I've worked with kids, teens and adults in the past, and have good instructor/trainer qualities, so that's not an issue. My inexperience lies with teaching CF-type methodology.

Of course I will not be using the CF name, nor will I infer and CF approval/disapproval of my teachings. But the principals are perfect for increasing overall fitness level.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:
Re: Martial Arts Fitness with CF methodology

I suggest you read the article in this month's CFJ about working with kids. I especially like the advice about using a different set of cues than you would with adults. Also check out crossfit kids. Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks Benjamin,

I haven't even opened that CFJ email yet... yikes. But I've worked with kids for year otherwise and I work well with them. Plus I'm a Dad, so that helps with communication.

I'll get on the journal right now.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

I started my first fitness class last night at our TKD school. It was a small introduction some proper, full-ROM movements; pushups, situps, burpies, squats, etc. All the students took well to it, and we all quickly saw the short-comings of martial arts without fitness. I ended the half hour with a challenge, 7 rds of 7 squats and 7 burpies. I honestly thought there would be more folks that would finish it... but only some of the younger energizer-bunny students finished. So I cut it short as time in class was coming to a close anyway. Most of the workouts I have planned are scaled (and some unscaled) slightly-modified body-weight workouts from Eva T's list of bw workouts, as I mentioned earlier.

Last night's class was for the blackbelts and leaders in the school to get a little orientation, Saturday morning will be the first full-blown workout class. I think I might bring my medicine ball.....