CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Mark J Harris

Profile:
Has anyone else had this or can you advise?

Hi all,
I have just posted a thread in the beginners thread but wanted to ask a direct question here to see if there any Doctors or medical people who have come across this before or if anyone who does CF has gone through this.

I am 52yrs old, 5'9" and 230lbs. I start my CF next week (Tue 22 Jan 13) but before I do I wanted some feedback/reassurance that I am doing the right thing!!!

In February 2012, I suffered a sub-arachnoid haemorrage which required surgery. It has been clipped and I am assured that this stays on for life. I want to return to training to lose weight/tone up etc but am slightly nervous about lifting heavy weights and generally 'working out' with any intensity. I have done light cardio (Cross Trainer and exercise bike) since the incident but cant really run due to having bad knees (due to running in army boots carrying heavy weight when in the Forces).

Yes, I know, if I was a horse they would have got rid of me by now but I'm not and want a challenge and want to get back to fitness and good health, well as good as I possibly can be. I want to do my best but while I am competitive I am not stupid. I realise that I will not be able to keep up with the 'young bucks' and would be sensible enough to end a set if I was feeling the strain but have read on here about 'exercise-induced headaches' and that would frighten the life out of me!!!

I would appreciate any advice or own experiences anyone could give me and am willing to answer any questions anyone may think relevant.

Thanks for your help anyway,
Mark
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Has anyone else had this or can you advise?

ask your neurosurgeon please
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

+1 on asking your neurosurgeon. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:

+2 for Ask your neurosurgeon. In addition to the clipped aneurysm that ruptured make sure there weren't any incidental unruptured aneurysms to worry about.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Mark J Harris

Profile:

Hi,
thank you for your comments about speaking to my Neurosurgeon. It's funny but I haven't spoken to the guy who did the operation since my stay in hospital and he referred me to another nearer Neuro Surgeon who I had one five minute appointment with who said that all seems to be OK, go away and enjoy your life!! I am seeing my GP tomorrow so will ask his advice to see if he could refer me. I think I am just frustrated being unable to do anything. I have still got double vision from the Op which they said may correct itself which it hasn't so I cant cycle or drive etc. I will keep you posted,
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:

If your double vision is correctable with an eye patch(which it should be if its a cranial nerve injury from the aneurysm clipping), then you should be able to drive legally.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_065298.pdf
wsf link
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J Harris View Post
Hi,
thank you for your comments about speaking to my Neurosurgeon. It's funny but I haven't spoken to the guy who did the operation since my stay in hospital and he referred me to another nearer Neuro Surgeon who I had one five minute appointment with who said that all seems to be OK, go away and enjoy your life!! I am seeing my GP tomorrow so will ask his advice to see if he could refer me. I think I am just frustrated being unable to do anything. I have still got double vision from the Op which they said may correct itself which it hasn't so I cant cycle or drive etc. I will keep you posted,
I understand. Patience, my friend. Recovery and rehabilitation involves crawling, walking...then running. Get medically cleared to train and then you will be on your way. Many GPs offer GXT (Graded exercise tests) to determine your current exercise capacity. Although, you may have to consult with your GP to determine if you are physically ready for such a test. Play it safe, continue a running dialogue with your medical professionals, your coaches and support system. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

I'm gonna be nonconformist and say....ask your neurosurgeon.