CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Brandon DeVore

Profile:
New to CF, need some advise

Hello everyone, just want to introduce myself first.
I have been lurking on here for a few weeks reading and thought it was time to get some opinions for beginers!

I am currently serving Active Duty in the US Coast Guard, and I am stationed on board a ship. My ship deploys for about 2 months, and I get about 2 months in. So needles to say my workout schedual changes greatly from inport and underway.

I am currently underway and the Coast Guard has changed their weight policy, and I decided that I needed to get back in shape (im about 20lbs overweight, 10lbs overweight acording to the CG)

I am a huge cyclist. I love road biking and has been a hobby for a few years. When home I ride 100-200 miles a week and I am currently training to do a Century Ride(100 miles in 1 day) in late October. So I dont want to loose cycling when I start crossfit. I want to augment it, anyone have experiance with this and have any concerns?

One of our Officers onboard started a daily crossfit training on our flight deck, and thats when I got introduced and started to research!

I really like the idea and concept, and what we do on the flight deck is not really crossfit, since we dont have the equipment, space or knowledge to really do it.

What I wanted some advise on is when we pull back in, I want to start doing real crossfit, but I have to do it at home.

I have spoken do a few affliats near me, including Crossfit Revolution (thank you for your advise Eric) and Crossfit Sparta in the Tampa area. After much considerations, I just cannot afford to go to an affliate or may the 30 min drive daily to my nearest ones. Even though that is what I want.

So instead I need to do this at home. I know ALOT of people do it at home and I just need some advise on what I need to get to do it.

Most of the obvious stuff I have, or have acess to. I have a pull up bar outside and a mat and some free weights. My apartment is small, so alot of what I probably need to get, just wont fit inside of it.

Is there anyone who lives in an apartment that does crossfit at home give me some advise on what I need to get to start at home?

Half of the exercises I still dont even know what they mean, but I will learn through video and such.

I will be keeping up with my workouts on the ship until I get home, which will be in another 3 weeks or so.

I did have 3 more questions for people.

First Question: Pull ups. I know this is a stapel to crossfit. I cannot do a "real" pull up. Just one where i can pull up 2 or 3 times. I know a real pull up is from a dead hang to chin over bar. Can anyone give me advise on what I need to work on getting my pull ups done? How I can practice pull ups to actually get over thar bar?

Second Question: Diet. I want to do the Paleo diet. Its going to have to wait until I get home. I would starve to death if I attemped paleo on the ship. The food they serve has everything bad in it. I can get meat daily, but the lettuce goes bad after 2 weeks, and your really forced to eat what they serve you. So any advice there to anyone in the military that has experianced this?

Third Question: Portability. Has anywhere here have any ideas for having a gym underway? We have a gym, but its geared to people who want to bulk up tons of free weights, and in a cramped space with a few benches, I hate going down there and I would rather see if there is something portable I can bring. I was looking into a TRX gym, but they are crazy expensive and I was just going to buy some nylon line and build somes of my own with handles made of PVC. But i wanted to get anyone elses opinion on a portable Gym and is TRX gym really needed for crossfit?

Thank you for reading this!

Brandon
Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: New to CF, need some advise

A kb and sand bags are pretty portable. If those are portable enough, there is a list of BW excersizes and WODs.

Eat as best you can. If you can't go 100% underway, do what you can. Look up glycemic index on line and choose food with the lowest of the ones you have access to.

"Just one where i can pull up 2 or 3 times."

THis is confusing, please explain.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Brandon DeVore

Profile:

Opps it was a typo, its meant to read, I can do 1 pull up where Im standing and kinda jump to where the bar is on my chin, i can do that 2-3 times. Also this may sound really stupid, but what is a KB?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon DeVore View Post
Opps it was a typo, its meant to read, I can do 1 pull up where Im standing and kinda jump to where the bar is on my chin, i can do that 2-3 times. Also this may sound really stupid, but what is a KB?
Kettlebell. It is a weight with a handle on it.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Brandon DeVore

Profile:

I have heard of Kettlebells before.
I can see them used in CF alot while researching it.

What is a good starting weight to get?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Roman Volf

Profile:

Get a 16kg KB
Old 09-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Desiree Doucet

Profile:

Brandon -

If you can afford it, I'd highly suggest subscribing to the CF Journal (http://journal.crossfit.com w/f/s) - there is a recent article on there about what equipment is most useful as well as the average cost of the equipment. The article suggests that you can get a good variety of equipment that will enable you to do 80% of the WOD's on the main site for about $1500.

Here's the link to the article (I think you have to have a subscription to actually download it - some of the articles are free though).
http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...r-home-gym.tpl (w/f/s)

The yearly subscription is $25 and I've gotten my money's worth out of the articles and videos and I just joined about a month ago. The articles and videos are not just on the movements and how to do the, but also include info on nutrition, motivation and other CrossFit related stuff. I've found the information provided there invaluable in getting me started on a CrossFit lifestyle.

Also, there's always an option of renting a storage unit and working out of that - here's a guy in Baton Rouge, LA doing that very thing (see link below)

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51002 (w/f/s)

He's got a rack and bumper plates and he works out of his 10x10 storage space. Interesting plan, but it's working for him.

Good luck with the program and let us know if you have additional questions.

Desi
Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Brandon DeVore

Profile:

Awesome advice thank you! I think the storage unit would be a good idea if I did not have any other choice. But I also find it that I am deployed 6 months out of the year, and paying for a space is a waste of money.

I have an Olympic bar that I got used for $10 before I left, its actually in great condition though. So i need bumpers and plates for it.

On the KB, is 16kg high for a beginner? I have never lifted weights or anything like that before. Or at least for the past 10 years.

Just wondering, if you think 16kg is good to start then thats what I will get.

For now I will just work out at home. Ill keep the Olympic bar in my porch storage shed and break it out when the WOD calls for it.

When I get home my plan will be to do the WOD to the best of my ability. Some exercises I will not be able to do because of my home limitations, but I plan on doing what I can.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Pavel suggests the 1 pood for untrained men starting off and the 1.5 pood for men with previous strength training. I think the 1 pood would be good for you. You can also check out the power bell, which is adjustable to 3 different szes, but you can't throw it.