CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #871
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Gslp

With all of the things that people liked to talk about and how edgy a lot of it was, moderation didn't seem to be needed
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #872
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I know he mentioned a few times that some life stuff came up, and he also released a few new e-books so I'm guessing those occupied a lot of his time. But I think posters gradually drifted away once it became clear that posts wouldn't be approved quickly, and as such they weren't likely to get answers to their questions in a reasonable amount of time. It's now been two months since the last post on the "Q&A with JP" forum, and 12 days since the last post in the unmoderated discussion forum.

I'd be really interested to hear why he thought his board required moderation.
I went looking through my old mailbox. I actually asked him that in December 2011.

11:28 AM
me: just wondering, why are the forums so moderated? Once someone reaches a certain amount of posts should let them post freely
11:29 AM
John: I partially agree. I've wanted to institute something like that for a while where the trusted veteran posters could post freely. I don't want a free for all cess pool like other sites, but I think there is a compromise to be had.
11:30 AM
I have spoken with Pete about it and I think we will have a fix eventually
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #873
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You would think it's a lot easier to simply ban the handful of idiots who mess things up rather than moderate every single post that comes through.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #874
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I'm doing front squats in place of back squats for this program. Instead of doing two sets of five and the AMRAP set, would I be better served doing less reps? In the e-book, JP lays out two training templates for Olympic lifters and the front squats are programmed in one template for two sets of 3 plus an AMRAP set, and three sets of three in the other one. I've read that front squats are better to train using less reps, but I am not sure since you can put anything on the web.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #875
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, from what I've read/experienced from weightlifting coaches, front squats are best with sets of 3. I don't know the reasoning behind it, just can say that's what I've been told.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #876
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Yeah, from what I've read/experienced from weightlifting coaches, front squats are best with sets of 3. I don't know the reasoning behind it, just can say that's what I've been told.
Good to know I'm not out in left field with this one. Looks like I will switch to the two sets of three and the AMRAP. It seems like too little volume though, I'm surprised he didn't add another set or two in the template.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #877
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Poliquin has stated the muscles stabilizing the front rack fatigue rather quickly compared to the quads, glutes and core.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #878
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Poliquin has stated the muscles stabilizing the front rack fatigue rather quickly compared to the quads, glutes and core.
Yep, others have said the same thing. It's not too difficult to stabilize a bar on your back for 10+ reps, but in the front rack your shoulders and thoracic spine will typically give out before your legs and hips do.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #879
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yep, others have said the same thing. It's not too difficult to stabilize a bar on your back for 10+ reps, but in the front rack your shoulders and thoracic spine will typically give out before your legs and hips do.
Good to know, definitely sticking to a lower rep range then. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #880
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Hi,

me again. Having some trouble with my squat the last weeks and don't know what to do.
Two weeks ago I got 5/5/10 with my 100 kg squat (I stopped because the technique in the last 2 reps wasn't that good). The workout after I only got 5/5/5 at 102.5 kg, because technique got more worse with every rep.
I made a reset to 92.5 kg and got 5/5/10 on that workout with proper technique, but it felt really really heavy. And then, today, 5/5/7 at 95 kg because of technique breaking down.

I am making really good gains in all the other lifts, but don't know what to do with my squat anymore.
I have changed from LBBS to HBBS about a month ago because of more carryover to olympic weightlifting. I also reduced the weight a bit at that time. The HBBS technique was good at the beginning, even in the 5+ sets, but now nearly the same weight feels so heavy.
I am almost fear the next squatting day because I don't know whether I get 5 reps in the 5+ set.

Should I reset or change the program or ...?