CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
Greg Spaight

Profile:
Re: 135 lb. Overhead Squat Box Jump

I was specifically thinking of post #5 which would not really fit into the category of polite disagreement with a well-reasoned argument.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
I was specifically thinking of post #5 which would not really fit into the category of polite disagreement with a well-reasoned argument.
Oh, let me rephrase then.

Jeremy, you are truly an inspiration to the mass of peons who can only wish to ascend to elite status by performing an obviously complex movement such as this. To even imagine such an incredible feat demonstrates a level of creativity that we could only dream of. This must be why you were chosen by the gods to open your own gym so the masses of underdeveloped weaklings can attempt to follow in your powerful footsteps. All hail the king of kings. May god have mercy on our souls.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Mike, eat a little protein and some dark green veggies along with a few clean carbs, you get a little grumpy when you are hungry.

It's just a crossfit forum.

If you don't want to do overhead squat box jump backflips, don't do them. He didn't question anyone's intelligence or abilities.

Go lift some heavy things and bleed off a little stress.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
He didn't question anyone's intelligence or abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy S Barnett View Post
Just because you do not have the athletic ability to perform complex and advanced movements does not give you the right to criticize an elite level athlete for pushing himself and trying new things.
Oh, ok.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
Oh, ok.
Touché.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Im sorry, Im going to sound like a prick. But That was just stupid. Props on being able to do it, but Doing an OHS Box jump is just ridiculous and dangerous. Yes, it may sound "cool" to do but there is no point in doing that in a training setting.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Well I think its very impressive....haters will always hate...keep up the good work!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

"driving your car are all inherently dangerous things that people do so why not this"

That's a joke, right? I drive my car so I can get from one place to another, which is something that I need to do in my day to day life if I want to get food, go to my job, etc. The risk/reward ratio is clearly tilted in my favor. What's the risk/reward ratio of a 135lb OHS box jump?

This video is the equivalent of driving my car 40mph over the speed limit while drunk and blindfolded because, hey, driving a car is already risky so what's wrong with adding a little more risk?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
Oh, let me rephrase then.

Jeremy, you are truly an inspiration to the mass of peons who can only wish to ascend to elite status by performing an obviously complex movement such as this. To even imagine such an incredible feat demonstrates a level of creativity that we could only dream of. This must be why you were chosen by the gods to open your own gym so the masses of underdeveloped weaklings can attempt to follow in your powerful footsteps. All hail the king of kings. May god have mercy on our souls.

I completely understand safety first and progressive training. Ask any member in my gym and each one of them will tell you that is all I preach to them day in and day out. Think safety first, work on proper form and technique then work through various skill level progressions.

My son does not attempt movements haphazardly. He trains and practices through all the stages of progressions to insure as much safety is controlled in each movement he attempts.

If we worry about every single person on the planet following along and getting hurt then as athletes we should stop training all together and stay home in bed where we are all safe and sound. Well unless you roll out of bed in your sleep and hit the floor there by cracking your head open. Oh crap! Now we can't even go to sleep for fear of being injured in our sleep too. Damn it. Now I'm so freaked out I'm afraid to move or do anything.

Also on a side note:
How do you weigh the risks of a gymnast performing back flips, CrossFit training Oly lifts at high speeds for multiple reps under time, a BMX or Motocross rider jumping ramps, Parkour jumping and flipping from roof top to roof top, Olympic Lifters attempting a 1-RM, Formula 1 race car drivers reaching speeds in access of 200 mph, sky diving, base jumping, free diving, MMA and every other extreme and dangerous sport ever created by man.

There are risks associated with everything we do in sports and exercise in general. Yes you can be seriously injured doing this exercise and I would not expect any of my clients or anyone for that matter to try it. My son is an exceptional and gifted athlete and chose on his own free will to try this movement and succeeded at it. Again, he practiced and went through many progressions to be able to do this. If extreme training and sports aren't your thing then do not attempt them but do not criticize those that put in the time and training to do these amazing feats. If we all took your advice we would not have all the amazing extreme sports we now have on ESPN today.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
"driving your car are all inherently dangerous things that people do so why not this"

That's a joke, right? I drive my car so I can get from one place to another, which is something that I need to do in my day to day life if I want to get food, go to my job, etc. The risk/reward ratio is clearly tilted in my favor. What's the risk/reward ratio of a 135lb OHS box jump?

This video is the equivalent of driving my car 40mph over the speed limit while drunk and blindfolded because, hey, driving a car is already risky so what's wrong with adding a little more risk?
And what is functional or safe about doing back flips and cleans back to back in a timed WOD? CrossFit has done this and more than likely will have this or something like it in a CrossFit Games WOD very soon. What benefits are there to doing 3-4 brutally intense CF Games WOD's in one day for 3 days in a row? What is the reward compared to the inherent risk? Don't know but CrossFit does it anyway.