CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #61
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez

Profile:
Re: Official Blogspot Help Thread

Jason, it can be done... it's really easy.

Just upload the file directly to your root folder and then put a link to that file as a hotlink directly in your post.

<a href="http:///crossfitwhatever.com/yourfile.doc">Title of File</a>

Whenever a user clicks on "Title of File", it should prompt a download.

Also, if any of you guys need help with SEO, I'd be glad to help via PM.

P.S. Stay away from AdWords. You really don't wanna be THAT guy. It pays off to rank well for your keywords, not to pay Google to list you on the side.

Last edited by Rolando Ezequiel Martinez : 01-09-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #62
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jason
Subj: Adjusting Blogspot Width
Thanks; 90 pixels on the post column width made all the difference.

The following can be found easily with control+F ("Find"), and have a changeable pixel width:
#header-wrapper
#header .description
#outer-wrapper
#main-wrapper
#sidebar-wrapper
#footer

You'll want the header and footer widths to be the same, and the combined total of the main and the sidebar to be a bit less, so there is a buffer gap between them.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #63
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jason
Subj: Free File Hosts
It seems your page is only a Blogspot subdomain (as is mine), which doesn't allow file uploads other than images (with Picasaweb). I found this list of free file hosts by a quick Google search:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-file-hosting.php
(Work/Family Safe.)

Read the descriptions, test a few out, and find one you like.
Then there's always RapidShare (aka. Rapid****), hahah.

Edit:
Reading through the list myself, this (Work/Family Safe.) one seems to be pretty good. You get 1GB of upload space, and 8GB per month of download bandwidth, with the free account. Your account is deleted after 30 days of not signing in, but you get a reminder email warning you of this before it happens. Your files don't ever get deleted for not being downloaded recently.

Last edited by Patrick Donnelly : 01-09-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #64
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Rolando

I'm a bit of a gumby when it comes to this stuff, although I have just managed to change the size of my blog to take up more space on the page (Thnx Patrick).

What do you mean by "root file"?

If I want to have links to articles I've written, how do I go about putting them on there?

Cheers
Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #65
Rolando Ezequiel Martinez

Profile:

Your root file is the first directory that your website is on. Anything you upload to your main directory will show up as

http://www.site.com/item1.doc
http://www.site.com/item2.swf
http://www.site.com/item3.php

If you want to place a link to another article you've written on the web, as in the article is already on a webpage, then you would put this code in.

<a href="http://www.site.com/whereyourarticleis.htm>Words you want to be clickable</a>

If you want to link to an article that's on your server for download, such as a word document, movie, audio file or whatever, then do the same, but in the quotes type in the location of where the file is such as http://site.com/location.doc

Are you paying for hosting with your own domain or are you using blogspot to host your site? I've never dealt with free sites like blogger or blogspot, so I'm not sure if they let you host files on thier server, which I would assume they wouldnt.

You can get a domain and basic hosting package for your site for under 15 dollars. 8 dollars for the domain and 3.99 for hosting per month. Hosting your own site gives you ALOT more freedom and flexibility.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #66
Craig Massey

Profile:

I'm afraid this thread is about how to manager a blogspot based site Rolando, so you have to deal with the limitations of their system.

No, there isn't a way to host those files on the blogspot servers Jason, so you'll have to put them someplace else and link to them.
Now I haven't researched this, but Google also offer a static web page hosting system you can link to your google account and that lets you upload about any file type as I recall. The bit I haven't researched is whether it will allow PDFs. I know it accommodated midi files, MP3s, ABC files and a few other odd formats I was looking to use and I don't recall there being any limit on filetypes at all. The amount of dfata you can store up there is limited, so if you're planning to use it as a major file repository, one of the other systems like Patrick mentioned might be better.

If you want to keep it all in the google "family", access your Google account and sign up for Page Creator.
Another Google option though might be to use Google documents and publish read only copies of word documents. I believe you can also create the documents using a web based editor, so that might be useful.
I've put an example of how this would appear at up at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhjvqqc9_0g49dj9 WFS, just not very useful information.

Probably not what you're after, so Google Page Creator or external file hosting will be your best options.

Let me know if you struggle with any of this or I've just plain not made sens.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #67
Pavel Saenz

Profile:

Is their a way to change from blogspot.com to just .com?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #68
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Saenz View Post
Is their a way to change from blogspot.com to just .com?

I bought www.sectcrossfit.com from Go Daddy. About 10 minutes of work and I was good to go. It takes up to 24 hours for everyone to be redirected to the new web address.