CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Darika Siegel

Profile:
Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?

Good luck, Christina. It may be easier to break up the weight loss in smaller goals so you don't seem overwhelmed. Say 10 pounds by September, and keep making new goals each time one has been reached.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
Jason Peacock

Profile:

An amazing woman at my gym, Jules, lost 160lbs in a year:

http://crossfitseattle.com/archives/796 (WFS)

I remember when she first started CF, it was very challenging for her but she stuck with it. Now she's competing nationally as a master's Oly lifter.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
David Baxter

Profile:

I've lost 20KG since starting both Xfit and Paleo back in March 12th this year - I've also increased all of my PB's on the bench , deadlift Thrusters , Back & front squats and decreased my 5KM time by 22 mins ( I started @ 43 mins now down to 21 ) I can post Before and now shots - but have a look <------

I trained heavily on running in the 1st few weeks then smashed in to Metcons and weights - mainly the WOD's that could push me with heavy strength sets -- and I feel so so much better for it - you will loose the weight etc if you stick to eating clean and pushing your boundaries when you do the WOD's
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
John-Paul Loughrey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darika Siegel View Post
Good luck, Christina. It may be easier to break up the weight loss in smaller goals so you don't seem overwhelmed. Say 10 pounds by September, and keep making new goals each time one has been reached.

Good luck, and keep posting here!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
Christina Daley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
I've lost 20KG since starting both Xfit and Paleo back in March 12th this year - I've also increased all of my PB's on the bench , deadlift Thrusters , Back & front squats and decreased my 5KM time by 22 mins ( I started @ 43 mins now down to 21 ) I can post Before and now shots - but have a look <------

I trained heavily on running in the 1st few weeks then smashed in to Metcons and weights - mainly the WOD's that could push me with heavy strength sets -- and I feel so so much better for it - you will loose the weight etc if you stick to eating clean and pushing your boundaries when you do the WOD's

Wow. Nice abs!!

Thanks everyone. I might be annoying. I am going to see a guy at the gym so he can help me figure this stuff out. I'm no beginner to working out, but jumping on those boxes and some of the gymnastic stuff is very intimidating.

I'm already down 5 pounds this week, just from really getting into paleo.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Christina Daley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
An amazing woman at my gym, Jules, lost 160lbs in a year:

http://crossfitseattle.com/archives/796 (WFS)

I remember when she first started CF, it was very challenging for her but she stuck with it. Now she's competing nationally as a master's Oly lifter.
Wow, that is amazing! Hopefully that will be me one day!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Daley View Post
Thanks!

I am a 31 year old woman, 290, and 5'5. I've "tried" for years. I actually work out very regularly and do at least 60 minutes a day anywhere from 4-6 days a week. Some weeks are off, but I'm about 75% on.

I also have PCOS. I've seriously thought about having gastric bypass, but my husband is so against it. Several years ago, I did "atkins"/low carb. I always get back like an addict on sugar.. tired of it.

Anyway, a good friend of mine is big into crossfit, and mentioned paleo to me and I've been reading about it. My biggest issue is keeping myself motivated and on track. I've been doing a lot of emotional healing the past year, and I think I'm starting to get to the point where I can do this.

I've lost 30 pounds since December (but put 10 back on, thanks to weightwatchers).

I'm still digesting the cross fit exercises. I will be honest and say a lot of time I am confused, but I just found out one of the trainers at my gym does some cross fit stuff, so I am looking into that for help.

Thanks for the pics, and please keep them coming. Got my before pics done.
Stay on Paleo.

Challenge yourself. Tell your friends. Do whatever needs to be done.

You seem like you have "nutritional ADD" where you're gonna jump from program to program. You need to be consistent, and eat high quality foods.

I promise if you avoid sugar for long enough the cravings go away. But you have to avoid the cravings long enough for them to go away.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Christina Daley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Stay on Paleo.

Challenge yourself. Tell your friends. Do whatever needs to be done.

You seem like you have "nutritional ADD" where you're gonna jump from program to program. You need to be consistent, and eat high quality foods.

I promise if you avoid sugar for long enough the cravings go away. But you have to avoid the cravings long enough for them to go away.
It seems like anything anyone ever wants to do is damn go out to eat.

You are probably right, I've tried many different plans. Did lowcarb/Atkins years ago.. Really started getting serious this past december, just did 1500 calories a day, started losing and heard everyone loved weightwatchers. WW gives me too much freedom to eat crap/sugar, and then I get sidetracked.

I've known this is the right plan, but like I said, one temptation and taste of sugar, and I 'blow' it. I'm trying.. blogging and I put everything into myfitnesspal.com. I know what I have to do, its staying on the path even when I want to stray. Biggest problems for me is emotionally eating during stress. Hopefully by perusing the boards here I can keep my goal in mind!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Shawn M Smith

Profile:

I started doing CrossFit in January of this year at 5'10", ~220# and ~30% BF. I do not follow strict paleo, but I do eat clean (my primary non-paleo offenders are beans, oatmeal and yogurt).

As of this morning, I weigh 194# and am at about 16% BF. (If you do the math, you'll realize I lost about 25#, but also gained about 9# of lean muscle mass.)

Also just this morning, the following happened:

-I set a 5K PR (25:10) on a hilly course by nearly 5 minutes

-After the run I completed an unscaled Fran in 8:34 after being unable to do one single unassisted pullup or one 95# thruster in January

-I went to Banana Republic to buy clothes for a wedding next weekend and bought pants that were three sizes smaller than I used to wear and learned that I now wear medium (M!) shirts after previously being comfortable in XLs.

And that was just today... Everyday I find that I've made some new improvement in some category and that's the beauty of CrossFit. There are so many aspects that you can improve. I'm not trying to brag at all, but I do think it's important to realize that it's not just about your weight. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll get healthier, stronger, faster and happier as other side effects.

Stick with the program and don't beat yourself up when you make a mis-step or have a brownie or whatever. Just get back on the horse and resolve to do a little bit better each day and seriously before you know it, you'll be a whole new you.

Good luck in your journey!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
David Baxter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith View Post
I started doing CrossFit in January of this year at 5'10", ~220# and ~30% BF. I do not follow strict paleo, but I do eat clean (my primary non-paleo offenders are beans, oatmeal and yogurt).

As of this morning, I weigh 194# and am at about 16% BF. (If you do the math, you'll realize I lost about 25#, but also gained about 9# of lean muscle mass.)

Also just this morning, the following happened:

-I set a 5K PR (25:10) on a hilly course by nearly 5 minutes

-After the run I completed an unscaled Fran in 8:34 after being unable to do one single unassisted pullup or one 95# thruster in January

-I went to Banana Republic to buy clothes for a wedding next weekend and bought pants that were three sizes smaller than I used to wear and learned that I now wear medium (M!) shirts after previously being comfortable in XLs.

And that was just today... Everyday I find that I've made some new improvement in some category and that's the beauty of CrossFit. There are so many aspects that you can improve. I'm not trying to brag at all, but I do think it's important to realize that it's not just about your weight. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll get healthier, stronger, faster and happier as other side effects.

Stick with the program and don't beat yourself up when you make a mis-step or have a brownie or whatever. Just get back on the horse and resolve to do a little bit better each day and seriously before you know it, you'll be a whole new you.

Good luck in your journey!
outstanding !!! well done - see if you stick to it (Xfit & Paleo) the weight will drop off