CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #1911
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Re: 2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal

Thursday was off.

Friday- good warm up. Kind of just trying to get my motivation back. Ended up 1st in the Wodapolluza qualifier. After the videos was a shake up in the leader board. I am now officially going to Miami.

Did the class-
Run 400 meters with the 20# wall ball.
50 wall balls
30 strict pull ups
100 sit ups abmat
30 strict pull ups
50 wall balls
Run 400 meters with the ball.
19 and some change.

Just did not want to push. Died has been bad. Rowing to cool down. Trash and laundry services done. Get ready for the Halloween party on Saturday.

Saturday training with Tony.

Usual warm up.

1 clean pull
1 power clean- 45-235#

Warm up emom events-
snatch- 2 power each min- 145-165 complete rubbish
bmu- 3-5 each round
rope climbs- 2 each round
hspu strict and 3" deficit- 4-6 each round.
Did 5 rounds

Sunday was day off!
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #1912
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Mind set going to Miami- I am in a good head state right now. I can see myself winning each and every workout with the proper training. The field is really good. A few current games guys in the field of 14 including the champ (who did not qual but will go as a invite, well maybe I hope so). Some really top flight guys. I also looked up the granite games qual and they had some really great guys also who did not qual. So getting to know the field I don't know if its better to not know them and don't worry about anything or know then and get better. The who cares attitude is a good place to be. Anyway will be about 7 games vets current and past in Miami. They changed the win from 3k last year to 1k this year. Major bummer. I have training partners now on Monday/ 2 on Tuesday/Wed/Sat/Sunday. This will help me get into proper shape. I am having a really hard time finding a coach who is motivated. Two of my buddies basically think that I am un coachable? Might be true.

Will have to implement swimming for Miami and the games.
Some strong man stuff like sand bags, yolk, farmer carry.
I need 2-3% worth of strength.
Better mind set in training and keep on learning how to kill the workouts and close the show.

1 day at a time. Going on a trip looking like not with the boat. She is only going 2/3rds speed. Not trusting this bitc#!

Looking forward to some R&R with my R (Reese).
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #1913
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Monday- 150 cal on echo- 13 min. 61 ghd's in 4 sets. Normal warm up at gym with some extra hammie work.

DB squat snatch- 15-50#

Dead lift- work up to a heavy 2 rep dead lift. 45-405#.

Warm up squat snatch

3 rft
400 meters on the Air runner
10 squat snatches 135#

Took till the last set to finally feel warm did 3/2/2/1/1/1 in good manor.

Some rowing and stretching
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #1914
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Tuesday AM- with Coach Tony-
Warm up normal
3 rounds emom 1 min
1st min-Echo bike- 15 cal
2nd min- 60# gobblet squats 10 reps
3rd min- 24" box jump overs 10 reps

Behind the back push jerks-

21-18-15
DL 185#
40' walking lunge DB- 35/45/55
Cal ski erg
20' hs walk
Around 11 min..

Back to work.

Going to a gym in Alpine about 15 miles from me to help train a young beast hopefully he will push some of his drive upon me. Hehe.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 AM   #1915
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post
I am having a really hard time finding a coach who is motivated. Two of my buddies basically think that I am un coachable? Might be true.
I found your comment quite interesting Vic so i just had to comment on it.

If your buddies think you are uncoachable is because they have no idea what to look at/for and they have no idea of how to put a plan together for you. When you are a beast at your age and clearly one of the best in the World they may be intimidated and think how the hell do we improve/better someone that is that good!

Now if took a look at you as a whole, just as a fly on the wall i would think SH*T this guy is really good, how the hell can i coach him, the guy that has it all?
This is where a good coach comes in, the guy that has it.. that is the EYE for for it. He/she does not have to be the best in the sport to coach but they have "it".

So i know that you and i are in 2 different classes but i could still make you a better athlete because i know i have the eye and what it takes. I have been coaching different sports for the past 20 years or so. Different sports but the same goal to get better!

How would i look at you, just off the top of my head.

* would look at the efficiency of all of you movements individually and then under pressure in wods. I would look at when your form starts to fail compared to just doing them.

*look at your rowing, ski, running - checking form, eficiency vs output when you red line.

*look at all of your lifts, deadlift, squat, f-squat, shoulder presses, snatch, C&J, Power snatches/Cleans all of them. Film all of them and give you feedback based on fact.

*During a week of watching you i would interact and ask you to tell me how things went, the plan behind the WOD, lift or movement, how it felt, when things got tough and when you thought you started to loose it.

The interaction between us would let me know as a coach what you felt and everything else behind it. Now the most important thing from the interaction is when i ask you "can you do this better, faster, more efficient", depending on what it we are working on. So from this togetehr we have analyized everything and we put a plan together for you to be able to re-test it based on what we both understand. When both of us understand each other and what the goal is, it is so much easier to make improvements.

If you are allready at the top of your game your chance of improving your total game might be 5%, so imagine 5% like this.

500m row - 1.30 current best - 5% improvement 1.25.5
deadlift - 400lbs - 5% = 420lbs
Complete AMRAP 10min 235reps 5% = 246 reps
5% in a comp of 7 events will be 35 points

and so on and so on, but everything will not increase by 5%, some things will increase by 10% and other only 2%.

So as a coach i need to make sure you as an athlete understand yourself. You know through experience and calculation what rep Count/min will give you the desired effect/result in the end without maxing out right out of the gate. While lifting you trust your muscle memory and ensure your techinque is good all of the time. You know exactly what speed to row, ski, run for maximum result based on what comes after.

and this was just off the top of my head Vic! and they say you are uncoachable!!!

Look at the small things Vic and get them to help you out.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 10-31-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #1916
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Alex great stuff- I was asked by a friend who owns another box to help him with an athlete over his head. I trained with him last night and kind of broke him. Well he cramped up so bad in the partner workout that he was in agony for 8 min before he could stand up and do the last 25 reps of our syn. air squats. I was telling him in his agony what a great opportunity to get up and finish the workout with the cramps. Hehe.. he is 21 years old. Was cool to see such a sponge soaking up my experience. We had a good workout. I am going to meet with him and workout with him every Tuesday evening and maybe other times at the Dark Side. I believe most athletes trying to win the games and actually have a shot might be difficult or harder to coach than the masses.

I am having a really hard time finding a coach who is motivated. Two of my buddies basically think that I am un coachable? Might be true.

I found your comment quite interesting Vic so i just had to comment on it.

If your buddies think you are uncoachable is because they have no idea what to look at/for and they have no idea of how to put a plan together for you. When you are a beast at your age and clearly one of the best in the World they may be intimidated and think how the hell do we improve/better someone that is that good!

Now if took a look at you as a whole, just as a fly on the wall i would think SH*T this guy is really good, how the hell can i coach him, the guy that has it all?
This is where a good coach comes in, the guy that has it.. that is the EYE for for it. He/she does not have to be the best in the sport to coach but they have "it".

So i know that you and i are in 2 different classes but i could still make you a better athlete because i know i have the eye and what it takes. I have been coaching different sports for the past 20 years or so. Different sports but the same goal to get better!

How would i look at you, just off the top of my head.

* would look at the efficiency of all of you movements individually and then under pressure in wods. I would look at when your form starts to fail compared to just doing them.

*look at your rowing, ski, running - checking form, eficiency vs output when you red line.

*look at all of your lifts, deadlift, squat, f-squat, shoulder presses, snatch, C&J, Power snatches/Cleans all of them. Film all of them and give you feedback based on fact.

*During a week of watching you i would interact and ask you to tell me how things went, the plan behind the WOD, lift or movement, how it felt, when things got tough and when you thought you started to loose it.

The interaction between us would let me know as a coach what you felt and everything else behind it. Now the most important thing from the interaction is when i ask you "can you do this better, faster, more efficient", depending on what it we are working on. So from this togetehr we have analyized everything and we put a plan together for you to be able to re-test it based on what we both understand. When both of us understand each other and what the goal is, it is so much easier to make improvements.

If you are allready at the top of your game your chance of improving your total game might be 5%, so imagine 5% like this.

500m row - 1.30 current best - 5% improvement 1.25.5
deadlift - 400lbs - 5% = 420lbs
Complete AMRAP 10min 235reps 5% = 246 reps
5% in a comp of 7 events will be 35 points

and so on and so on, but everything will not increase by 5%, some things will increase by 10% and other only 2%.

So as a coach i need to make sure you as an athlete understand yourself. You know through experience and calculation what rep Count/min will give you the desired effect/result in the end without maxing out right out of the gate. While lifting you trust your muscle memory and ensure your techinque is good all of the time. You know exactly what speed to row, ski, run for maximum result based on what comes after.

and this was just off the top of my head Vic! and they say you are uncoachable!!!

Look at the small things Vic and get them to help you out.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #1917
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Tuesday - Alpine Ranch CrossFit with Alex- long and good warm up.

Partner workout-Master old man no vest, 21 year old vest 20#
100 pull ups- Me 60/ him 40- 2:15
200 push ups- Me 120/ him 80- about 5 min
Run 800 wow he was going fast caught up at the end.
200 sit ups no vests- 100/100
100 air squats- he went down with cramps at 75 reps.. we were on pace to do 21 min or so. But ended up just under 30 min.

Long talk about life, working out and more working out.

Happy to get two good sessions yesterday.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #1918
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
I believe most athletes trying to win the games and actually have a shot might be difficult or harder to coach than the masses.
I agree with that 100% Vic, it's harder.

That is why a coach has to have a plan built on input from the athlete. It is so important to understand where to set the goal, how to reach it and over what time period or before a specific deadline. What do you as an athlete class as a minor milstone and major milestone over time? this is where you understand that the goal has not been reached yet but the numbers are showing progress or physical improvements in movements.

The most important thing is that the athlete trusts and has the confidence in the coach, the chemistry must be there for it to work. Find this out as early as possible.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 AM   #1919
Alex Burden

Profile:

Right back at you Vic.... PM
Old 11-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #1920
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Wed was some active recovery rowing. Nothing much to speak about.

Thursday- warm up normal. Squat snatches with the db.

:45 on and :15 off-
AA bike
Hang clean and jerk 95#
Back rack lunges alternating 95# bar
Averaged 45+ each of the 5 rounds. 226 reps.

I did some other stuff but can't remember.

Friday flew to Portland and met up with a Marine Corps buddy. Travel day. Almost 12 hours.

Saturday 8AM class at CrossFit Newport in Oregon.

Good warm up and plenty of instruction-

Ended up doing a 12 min amrap
12 box jumps
6 bf burpees
6 thrusters
7 rounds plus 7. 14 reps per min.

Went boating in Waldport with my buddy Keith. I sailed with him for a couple of years in the 90's. Great catching up with him.

We stayed at the best AirBnb ever. Ocean view, had a spout hole right in front of us.

Sunday was chill day. Just went around our small town called Depoe Bay. The smallest harbour in the world.

Monday travel day. Stopped by CrossFit Fort Vancouver. They have been to the games 10 times in a row for a team. Great gym. Well outfitted, great coach. Nothing but good things to day.

Long warm up- did a 7 min metcon.

7 s2o 155#
7 burpees
7 c2b
5 rounds plus 18 . Almost 6 rounds. That a good pace. One guy got 6+1.

Met up with my lifelong friend at the airport. Long day of travel. Got home hugged the doggie and watched some tube.

Tuesday- good warm up.

Workout with Tony-

Deadlift 45-415x2. Was heavy. My back did not like it at all.

Cleans taking it easy- 95-225. Back was not feeling good.

100 t2b- split between us- took 3:35 felt ok. My form was off on everything.

15/12/9 alternating on the AA bike.

About 40 box jump overs.

Time to get to work.