CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
Talking important zone discovery

my first attempt on the zone diet was unsuccessful as to my goals, i lost too much weight too fast , even at 28 blocks and 5x fat couldnt gain weight to my desired 200 lb frame.(was struggling to keep 180) i took 6 months off tried new things and have come back with a brainstorm. i was using mostly olive oil for my 5x fat since it is easy to get and is quite concentrated. now browsing through " healthy living" magazine lol of all the ones i dont read, i found that olive oil " raises metabolism"! well here i was speeding up the engine, adding more fuel and getting nowhere.

my brainstorm was, since living in the prairies, "canola oil" it actually has more omega 3 and wow what a difference, i immediatly noticed a difference in my weight and how i felt for energy and strength, thank god, because i believe in the zone so much. so if anyone else has this problem maybe try this.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: important zone discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kaeating View Post
my first attempt on the zone diet was unsuccessful as to my goals, i lost too much weight too fast , even at 28 blocks and 5x fat couldnt gain weight to my desired 200 lb frame.(was struggling to keep 180) i took 6 months off tried new things and have come back with a brainstorm. i was using mostly olive oil for my 5x fat since it is easy to get and is quite concentrated. now browsing through " healthy living" magazine lol of all the ones i dont read, i found that olive oil " raises metabolism"! well here i was speeding up the engine, adding more fuel and getting nowhere.

my brainstorm was, since living in the prairies, "canola oil" it actually has more omega 3 and wow what a difference, i immediatly noticed a difference in my weight and how i felt for energy and strength, thank god, because i believe in the zone so much. so if anyone else has this problem maybe try this.
Hmm... Maybe Breyers raises metabolism too...

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...hlight=breyers
(w/f safe obviously)
Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I thought about posting this in another thread. My problem with Canola oil is that the only higher power that invented it is Canada. Can - ola. Genetically altered rapeseed isn't what I think fits into a paleo-natural diet (understood that you probably aren't going paleo). Plus the omega-3 is ALA which only about 1-7% gets converted to EPA/DHA, fish oils are better. Heck, organic flaxseed meal is better because you get ALA, tons of fiber, and a little protein.

I'm surprised you haven't tried nuts or flax - protein, fat, fiber all in one rather then oils.

It is funny you mention that Matt because I ate 1 cup of Breyer's a night for a week after reading that thread and I gained no weight, but felt leaner!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Kevin, are you weighing and measuring your food? I ask because consuming around 5500 kcals a day should put weight on you. Are you doing hours of exercise a day? I weigh in at 195 and 28 blocks w/ 3x fat adds weight to me. Canola Oil should not make a difference versus Olive Oil as far as metabolism. Olive Oil is better health wise.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Joseph Lemos

Profile:

No offense, but the idea that olive oil raises metabolism sounds more like snake oil.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

i dont know why, or the science behind it, but i know its working dramatically better for me than before. yes i weigh everything on a digital scale, and teaspoon the oil. nuts? lol do you know how many almonds it takes for 28 blocks at 3 or 5x fat? my jaw muscles got sore. ya i know it was around 5000 cals but all i can say is that was my results, i feel stronger also now.
hmm critical bunch arent ya lol. this was my second post here after a year away, just adding info and my experiences and both postes ive gotten alot of grief, strange. i know a few people on here not following zone with terrific performance.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

since when isnt snake oil good for you???
Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
Jesse Emers

Profile:

stay away from snake oil.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Paul Symes

Profile:

So is EVERY diet now a variation of the Zone?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
John Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Symes View Post
So is EVERY diet now a variation of the Zone?
If it wants to work, probably.