CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Shayne Brown

Profile:
This 20lbs of FAT is KILLING ME! Should I go Paleo?

A little background. I am 1 month into Crossfit. I am Male...39....200lbs. Depending on who is using the calipers I am between 22-27% body fat. In the last 2 years I have lost roughly 30 lbs through diet and exercise. Diet closely resembles Body for Life (BFL). My ideal weight body weight would be 180lbs of lean muscle with single digit body fat. The problem is that my body holds on to fat like nothing you've ever seen.

As I have read the FAQ and read the discussion board I believe that the Paleo diet may help me get to where I want to be. Now, I've STFW...I've RTFW and I've even purchased and read the Paleo Book by Dr. Cordain. I really need two things:

1. I would be interested in "real world" examples from "real people" about how they have done the Paleo diet. These websites that are mile long advertisements are ****ing me off. I don't want to be "sold" the diet. I want people who are really using it and having success to give me cold hard honest feed back about their results.

2. And with that comes point 2. As I do my research I find that things like "canned tuna" in water are prohibited. Eggs are also questionable. Is maintaining the integrity of eating in this lifestyle the key or am I just defeating the purpose if albacore tuna in water is one of my protein sources or if I have egg whites with salsa for breakfast?

Bottom line is that I lost 30 lbs over a period of year and have maintained that for an additional year. The 20 or so pounds of fat...and I do mean FAT is killing me. I can feel it when I run...it makes doing a muscle up an almost unreachable goal and I've flat out had it. I'm to the point where I don't care if I lose some muscle....the fat has to go.

Any input or personal experiences from people who have lived Paleo....done it...been there would be very helpful in my decision making process.

Comments are very much appreciated.

Shayne

Last edited by Shayne Brown : 09-30-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Re: This 20lbs of FAT is KILLING ME! Shoud I go Paleo?

What's wrong with eggs and tuna? They're good sources of lean protein. OK you don't want to overdo the tuna due to possible mercury contamination but in moderation it's absolutely fine.
Base your diet around meat, fish, vegetables and fruit, with some healthy oils (olive, flax, nut oils etc), a few nuts and eggs, and you can't go wrong.
A lot of folks here don't like grains or dairy - personally I think whatever works for you.
You have to have a diet you can live with. Personally, that means that I'm going to treat myself to chocolate sometimes, have tea with skim milk a few times a day, and not beat myself up if I go out for dinner and have something like pizza or pasta. If you can cut all those things out forever and be happy, then great. Personally I can't - I love my food and knowing I can never enjoy those things again will just lead to a huge binge somewhere down the line.
If you can eat right 80% of the time then you'll make big improvements.
You're welcome to come join us on the 10lb Challenge thread (workout logs forum) - the challenge officially ended today but some of us are planning to keep on using the thread as we're all striving to eat better and lose fat, and maybe get some pull-ups.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Let me second that invitation. Cal and I have each shed about 6 pounds in the past 5 or so weeks while ramping up our Crossfit workouts.

I'm slowly modifying my diet along Zone lines, somewhat loosely just adding protein and healthy fat to my diet. Having lost 85 pounds---and, like you, maintaining that loss for a year---I have been somewhat leary of adding fat to my diet. But I have to admit, I feel stronger and more satisfied and just better since I have.

So c'mon over and dump some body fat with us. You'll be in good company. We've got some very knowledgeable folks stopping in from time to time, their suggestions have been enormously helpful.

Susie
Old 09-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

You're making progress. Calm down. It'll come. Egg whites and tuna are fine. Yeah, tuna has a lot of mercury, so eat sparingly, but those are both Paleo (I'm assuming you read something saying they weren't?). I don't know of anyone who eats 100% Paleo- to quote Anthony Bainbridge, "the benefits of 80% adherence versus 100% adherence are negligible." Work it had in the WOD, eat less than you expend (but don't starve yourself). It'll come. Work hard, your body won't have any use for the extraneous fat anymore (not to mention you'll be using it for fuel).

Important point to consider as well- you very well may be burning the hell out of your fat and just not know it. For 2-3 months after I started CF I saw no decrease in weight, and little change (visually) in body mass. But my lifts increased, my running times got better, I basically improved all around physically. Now I look a lot better than when I started, though I'm heaver. Point I'm making is, don't get hung up on the scale. Focus on performance.

Last edited by Skylar Cook : 09-30-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Richard Furr

Profile:
Smile Re: This 20lbs of FAT is KILLING ME! Shoud I go Paleo?

I lost 100+ lbs on paleo in a <6 month period of time. An important thing to remember is eating consistent ratios of macro nutrients(carbs, protein, fat) with every meal or snack. Don't eat a bunch of fruit by itself, or a bunch of protein by itself. The zone is a good starting point for balancing the ratios. Then you might want to slowly adjust to what works better for you.

Don't think about weight loss. Throw away your scale, or put it in storage. If you have to, weight yourself once a month. You'll see and feel any changes you need to know about in your weight. Change your focus to health, the workouts, and feeling good.

Losing weight/burning fat is a negative focus. Our subconscience can't understand negatives. For example: Don't think about a Blue Tree...
You thought about a blue tree, even though I said not to. When you think about losing weight you think of your weight. A weight your not happy about. You dwell on it. It doesn't motivate you to dwell on your weight and feel bad about it.

This may not be true for everyone, but it is for me. Hope it helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

My Fitday log is in my signature. I'm 7% body fat at a lean 173 right now. I'm planning on ramping up to 180ish and eating a ton like I am now is actually HARD.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Shayne Brown

Profile:

Wow...great input already! I'm looking forward to more comments/input. Richard, to comment on your post, I am admittedly a bit obsessed about the actual scale weight. I'm already fairly strong...stronger than most actually. Gaining strength or size has never been an issue for me. Ridding myself of what seems to be a genetically freakish ability to retain fat has always been an issue.

Fact is the spare tire look isn't a good one and I want it gone but I want to be smart about it. I don't weigh myself everyday or anything like that. Maybe once every couple of weeks at the most. My mark for progress has always been the way my clothes fit or how do I look with my shirt off? If I look ripped and weight 190 will I be disappointed? Absolutely not! I just want the fat off of my gut and lovehandle area.

Thanks again for the positive comments. I need the input and support of those who are living it!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Have you considered doing the Zone diet instead of one "closely resembling body for life?"

There are plenty of people doing crossfit and using the zone.

I would suggest reading "Enter the Zone" CF journal "Getting off the Crack, by Nicole Carroll - Oct 05 CFJ" as well as some other back issues about the Zone.

Find out the block count for your body and activity level and for the first two weeks WEIGH and MEASURE all of your food. This is only for the first two weeks so you have some experience with proper portion size and don't find out your estimates are way off. Use non-starchy vegetables for most of your carb blocks. The weight should come off very fast.

I eat a lot of Paleo types of food but eat too much non paleo to be considered doing the diet (I still like sardines, canned tuna, beans and legumes all paleo no no's from what I understand)

From what I understand Zone is kind of the suggested CF diet, certainly not mandatory but I think it is the most used in this community.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Cory Osborne

Profile:

Read "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross, it will change your life forever!

"Fad diets" would be "forever diets" if they actually worked...

Good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
Gorm Laursen

Profile:

I've lost close to 88 pounds, so read on:

Meat, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruit, salad: Just fine, but how to do it?

Forget all about percentages and no salt and this and that it's simply distraction. It's about your body's own ability to control eating. And to factors are major (the rest being minor): Quality of food and low glycemic index. The low glycemic index comes by it self when eating paleo. Just believe me on this...but stay away from ripe bananas and dates along with pork rind So instead focus on making good food.

Eat a good meal in the morning: an omelet for instance and a fruitsalad laced in fresh lemonjuice with fresh vanila or just a red apple or another piece of delicious fruit. If you're pressed for time in the morning, prepare it in the evening.

Eat a good lunch. Fish (yeah, canned tuna's just fine! But go for the stuff that tastes good, not the cheapest) and/or salad or some cold meat leftovers marinated with spices and oil with some shreded vegetables to go. Sprinkle with nuts (yeah, peanuts just fine! And with salt also!).

Eat a good dinner. Meat and/or vegetables. Casserolles, stir fried ... WHATEVER, just make it delicious. Fruit for dessert. Or perhaps no dessert.

Stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. Your body will let you know. Just listen.

Don't ditch coffe, just ditch crap coffee and ditch the sugar as well. Sugar are for children (well, ideally not...). Don't ditch beer, just crap beer and keep the amount low as long as you're trying to loose weight. Really don't ditch that much, just keep focus on QUALITY, meaning quality of taste. Don't buy 10 pound of crap meat just to save a buck. Buy 1 pound of great meat, and eat less. Salt issue? Forget about it. You'll automatically take away alot of salt when going paleo, and your craving for it will pretty soon be pretty small, so all in all...

The bottom line is: Don't focus on the prohibitions, it'll kill you off. Look at it as a way of finally being able to prepare and eat high quality food, not just for the body but also for the soul. That's your main focus right now. Then we can always talk about IF and the rest afterwards...