CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:
Re: Free Online Coaching for 2 Lucky CrossFit Athletes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Oh goodness gracious. Stop already. Even I don't carry on this much.

- Mark
I think we just saw this thread go past 6 pages easy
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #42
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M. Hutchinson View Post
http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/111264 (you)

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/96286 (me)

Judging by your placement in the open you should probably get a strength cycle going ASAP instead of arguing about how you don't need to be strong to get to the games. I don't even train for CrossFit and I placed a good 100 places ahead of you while training for the National Championships in Weightlifting. I would have placed a lot higher if I would have done the last workout completely. I was at the 2013 Collegiate National Weightlifting Championships that weekend and just did 1 round hanging off a squat rack with a bar to do my chest to bars just to get a score in.

I'm not trying to brag about placing higher than you just pointing out the fact that I have 0 conditioning for CrossFit but I am a lot stronger so the workloads are easier for me if that makes sense. If you take that into consideration, imagine an athlete with my strength but also the conditioning factor. You would be looking at a guy like Chris Spealler all day crushing wods.
You only finished 100 places ahead of me and I had only been crossfitting for about five months(that's sad).... again I will say this for the last time nobody has argued the importance of strength, in fact I have said its very important.....you have great problems interpreting information that quite frankly concerns me....you are nothing like chris spealler until proven other wise
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
yes those are the numbers but like I said nobody is doing or needs to do your magnificent double and triple awesomeness(although it would help)...I agree with having a lot of strength nobody will argue that or has even said that....you just came across demeaning and on top of that were getting up set cause no one wanted to do it in the first thirty minutes.....good programs and coaches are a dime a dozen....pick and go

tantrums? doesn't look like your "letting it go" , just tell us how you really feel you already started

Umm, come again? If you believe that....oh man you got some learning to do.

Honestly, what I said is the mainly all I mean. You had a problem with Sean's post, that's fine everyone can think what they want. But to advise everyone else to stay away, calling it sketchy, calling him condescending.....dude grow up and stop throwing your little tantrum. That's it.

Also, Mr. Wallace....this may go on....this ***** is fun!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #44
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
You only finished 100 places ahead of me and I had only been crossfitting for about five months(that's sad).... again I will say this for the last time nobody has argued the importance of strength, in fact I have said its very important.....you have great problems interpreting information that quite frankly concerns me....you are nothing like chris spealler until proven other wise
Since you can't seem to get facts straight, Sean's Games profile says he started CrossFitting in December 2012. December to March = 4 months.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...ye1ho1_500.gif wfs
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Only 100 places after only doing one round of the last workout. I would have easily placed 200-300 places higher than you If I would have been able to do a legitimate effort on the last workout of the open. I don't do ANY CrossFit (ok i've done a few benchmark WODS for fun). You are the one who has the problem interpreting information.

I never said I was anything like Chris Spealler. I said if you take a guy with my strength and add in great conditioning you have a guy like Chris Spealler. I was making the comparison to him because he is also a smaller guy. He's still bigger than me but same concept. He is a small powerful athlete with a great motor. Anyways, I see it is pointless responding to you because you are obviously looking for an argument. Good luck in your future CrossFit endeavors!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #46
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Since you can't seem to get facts straight, Sean's Games profile says he started CrossFitting in December 2012. December to March = 4 months.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...ye1ho1_500.gif wfs
This is true. I also only did 2 weeks of actually metcons then I had to start training for Weightlifting in January for a competition I had coming up. 2 weeks of metabolic conditioning is hardly enough to prepare for the open but it gave me a little taste of what I would be up against. The open was the most pain I have ever been through when it comes to exercising lol. Those burpees broke me down mentally.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #47
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M. Hutchinson View Post
This is true. I also only did 2 weeks of actually metcons then I had to start training for Weightlifting in January for a competition I had coming up. 2 weeks of metabolic conditioning is hardly enough to prepare for the open but it gave me a little taste of what I would be up against. The open was the most pain I have ever been through when it comes to exercising lol. Those burpees broke me down mentally.
I remember you posting stuff around then about your benchmarks. I did a CF competition this past weekend after a couple months of pretty much solely weightlifting... I feel a bit of your pain.

Of course, you also smashed me in 13.1, and I'd imagine I'd still smash my better-conditioned self, mostly because in March 165 was... let's see... somewhere around 95% of my max, and now it is more like 80%. Still not terribly impressive, but a lot better than it was.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #48
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I remember you posting stuff around then about your benchmarks. I did a CF competition this past weekend after a couple months of pretty much solely weightlifting... I feel a bit of your pain.

Of course, you also smashed me in 13.1, and I'd imagine I'd still smash my better-conditioned self, mostly because in March 165 was... let's see... somewhere around 95% of my max, and now it is more like 80%. Still not terribly impressive, but a lot better than it was.
That's one thing I noticed. The lower the percentage of the weight you are working with relative to your 1RM the easier it is going to be to do it for multiple reps to a certain point. We all saw Kendrick do Isabel around 3 and a half minutes. I know it's not lightning fast but also not shabby for a guy who has never done more then 10 reps in a set in his entire weightlifting career. It was super light for him which is why is was able to do it so quickly (relatively speaking) compared to a guy who can only snatch 160lbs trying to do 135 for 30 reps.

I guess it comes down to balance. You have to be strong but you also have to have conditioning. Strength takes a lot more time to build than conditioning so in my mind I think it would make more sense to spend more time getting stronger and less time on conditioning. At minimum 6 months out of the year should be working on Weightlifting, Powerliting, and Strongman style training with the rest of the year incorporating more conditioning into the programming as you get closer to the open and switching to more of a maintenance phase as far as strength work.

That is just my opinion. I have not coached any great CrossFit athletes nor am I a great CrossFit athlete, yet! Maybe one day.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #49
Blaise Davis

Profile:

there is 1RM then there is muscle endurance then there is bodyweight/gymnastics, then there is cardio.... you only have one of these, this is what I was getting at....im done though your better than me you win you placed higher in the open, your stronger than me, you win good luck to you too....I am looking for no argument...only thing that talks is open/regionals/games, we will see come next open
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #50
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
there is 1RM then there is muscle endurance then there is bodyweight/gymnastics, then there is cardio.... you only have one of these, this is what I was getting at....im done though your better than me you win you placed higher in the open, your stronger than me, you win good luck to you too....I am looking for no argument...only thing that talks is open/regionals/games, we will see come next open
I don't want to be better than you. I'm just trying to tell you to be good/great at CrossFit you have to be strong and have great conditioning. It's not that hard to figure out.