CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Snir Golan

Profile:
Need advice post shoulder surgery

Hi everybody,

So 2 weeks ago i had a Arthroscopic Shoulder Decompression surgery to remove a few bone spurs, clean a very inflamed bursa and also clean some fraying around the rotator cuff. i already started PT and it is going well so far and ROM is improving daily.

i would love to get back into working out and i know that there are quite a few things that i can do and have been cleared to do like lunges, air squats, airdyne, sled pulls etc..

But.. and here is where i need some advice, do you think that it would maybe be beneficial to join a traditional gym for 1-2 months so i can utilize the *gasp* machines that they have? the machines will allow me to do leg presses and a lot of other things (calf raises, pulley work etc..) that i just can't do at our box.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:
Re: Need advice post shoulder surgery

Using machines before transitioning to free weights makes sense.

I had shoulder surgery myself (RC and labrum). It will be a process to ramp back up to full range free weights with pre-surgery poundages.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Zach Long

Profile:

I don't see why you and your coaches can't figure out some really good scaled workouts for you to do over the next few weeks
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Long View Post
I don't see why you and your coaches can't figure out some really good scaled workouts for you to do over the next few weeks
i am sure that we will be able to do that just fine. i am just thinking that for an extra $20 a month or so, i can also have access to a bunch of machines that will allow me to do things that otherwise will be very difficult to do. a leg press for example will be very hard if not impossible to replace. assisted pullup machine for one handed pullup etc..
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Bryan Hood

Profile:

If I wasn't an affiliate owner I'd say go to a regular ole gym. I had shoulder surgery March 19th. Torn labrum, tore rotator clean from bone, tore supraspinatus in half and torn bicep tendon. I was in a sling for 8 weeks. Zero exercise. Started PT at 6 weeks post op. Cables and bands are highly recommend. Stay away from anything dynamic. I've really enjoyed going to my PT to use his cable machine. Two weeks ago I started working out again with barbells and DBs. Slowly and smartly.