CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #101
Neil Duncan

Profile:
Re: Hybrid programs

You know when somebody points them out like that I feel so simple because it's so obvious!

Thanks Matt
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #102
James Riley

Profile:

I've tried to develop my own version of this workout. Gant has been good enough to offer some incites on some PMs I sent him. I too am more interested in the strength side of the CF equation, but I also want to keep up the short, intense WODs. I choose to focus more on the slower lifts than the O lifts, and my O lifts will be with Dumbells as described in Ross Enamait's books. The workouts also have a gymnastics element as there are a couple of moves I'm tired of not being able to do. I think dedicating training time to working on them will really help.

Monday: Handstand Training
DB Clean and Jerk
Front Squat
Bench Press
WOD

Tuesday: OHS
WOD
Corework

Wednesday: Handstand Training
Back Squat
Incline DB Press
Deadlift
Weighted Pulls

Thursday: Off

Friday: Snatch (w/DB)
Front Squat
Bench
WOD
Core

Saturday: Muscle-Up Training
Intervals (maybe)

Sunday: Off

My rationales on certain areas are as follows:
1) Front Squats instead of BS on M and F to not complete burn out. That may be a mistake though.
2) I COULD push Mondays C+J to Tuesday to ease up on Monday. However I was looking at Tuesdays WOD to be the longest of them, if necessary as it has the lightest day otherwise lifting.
3) Wednesday is pure lifting
4) I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew, but it looks fun anyway.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #103
Chris Bate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
1) Front Squats instead of BS on M and F to not complete burn out. That may be a mistake though.
But wouldn't they eventually get heavy enough to be pretty taxing?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #104
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
My rationales on certain areas are as follows:
2) I COULD push Mondays C+J to Tuesday to ease up on Monday. However I was looking at Tuesdays WOD to be the longest of them, if necessary as it has the lightest day otherwise lifting.
3) Wednesday is pure lifting
4) I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew, but it looks fun anyway.
Yes, Chris, they will.

1) Do back squats M and F and FS on W. Squat to a box for 8-10 sets of 2. You'll get stronger and recover better. Read the articles at Westside Barbell.

2) If you make any changes, move bench to T, and do DB push presses W. It wouldn't kill you to do Press or weighted dips on F unless you have a compelling reason to bench.

3) Damn right!

4) Just be sure to bite and chew plenty of real food and you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #105
James Riley

Profile:

For what its worth, I'm halfway done with my first week of Hybrid Crossfit and I like it a lot. I feel like I'm getting what I want out of my workouts, both strength wise and conditioning wise.

Gant:

1. You meant do the BS for 8-10 sets of 2 right? I WAS doing 5x5, I thought that was the premier strength builder. Is Front squat also a 8x2 type of exercise?
2. When you say move bench to Tuesday, do you mean scratch Monday and Friday altogether? Or just move Mondays? I donít have any other pressing movements as I thought the C&J on Monday, Snatch on Friday, and multiple HSPU training was enough on the shoulders.

I just have bench in there because I canít make the compete break from High school routines, lol (even though its been 18 years)!!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #106
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Front squats will probably never be as taxing for you as back squats.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #107
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Gant

i really like your program I def want to start it after I do SS. I do have a question however regarding my primary sport, soccer. I do a lot of running during practice (3x a week) and do agility work on my own. I want to follow thistype of program in my off season when I'll be doing lots of conditioning and work agility. What would you recommend would be the best way to incorporate it all? Do conditioning and agility instead of WOD?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #108
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, what is a "chipper" workout. You mention not to do any if you plan to do this routine, not that I intend to (lack of equipment/space/time). I'm just curious about it's meaning, and I can't seem to find an answer by searching both here and performance menu's forums. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #109
Noel Welsh

Profile:

Quote:
1. You meant do the BS for 8-10 sets of 2 right? I WAS doing 5x5, I thought that was the premier strength builder. Is Front squat also a 8x2 type of exercise?

I just have bench in there because I canít make the compete break from High school routines, lol (even though its been 18 years)!!
I think Gant is referring to the Westside box squats. Using about 50-60% of your 1RM squat down to a box, pause, and explode up. Westside recommends sets of 2 as the bar will slow down with reps beyond this. This is also my experience.

Box squats increase power by addressing the time part of the force x time equation. As the squat is lighter they also place less stress on your body. I have found they carry over well to heavy squats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, what is a "chipper" workout.
A chipper is an extended workout consisting of many reps. To complete it you "chip away" at the reps. Something like 150 box jumps, 150 pushups, 150 pullups might qualify as a chipper. Basically you're looking at 30 mins of work, or more, and you'll almost certainly be forced to take rests during the exercises.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #110
Brandon Oto

Profile:

More specifically, a chipper sends you in one side and out the other -- there's no cycling of rounds.